“THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL” GAMES OFFERED IN 4K ON FOX

I agree .... eventually ...
Remember, they never upgraded to HD ... that started around the year 2000
Is it possible they might just wait for 8k to become the norm. Not that we will ever see broadcasts in 8k. Just cost wise.

Is it possible they might just wait for 8k to become the norm. Not that we will ever see broadcasts in 8k. Just cost wise.
I actually think that eventually 4k will be the "Norm" where everything gets changed over, but not 8k ... they seem to skip every other one, 1080p wasn't, I'm thinking 4k will and 8k will be skipped ... as far as the networks upgrading all thier equipment type of changes.

Reactions: dtv757
I actually think that eventually 4k will be the "Norm" where everything gets changed over, but not 8k ... they seem to skip every other one, 1080p wasn't, I'm thinking 4k will and 8k will be skipped ... as far as the networks upgrading all thier equipment type of changes.

The networks didn't skip 1080p, all their equipment was 1080p when they went HD. They didn't "do" 1080p because it was not part of the broadcast standards, so they'd produce in 1080p and convert to 1080i/720p for broadcast.

Fox runs 720p...don't hold your breath

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Fox runs 720p...don't hold your breath

Fox also does 4K live events !

Almost every major 4K event in the past 2 years has been Fox . Only exception is EPL soccer (NBC Sports) , golf (DirecTV exclusive , various broadcasters ) and this year Warner media did March madness . Beyond those 3 every other major 4k sports event was fox sports . O yes winter Olympics was NBC last year but most have. Been fox sports

MLB today is in fox 4k
NFL will be fox 4k
College football is fox 4k /Noter Dame is NBC (DirecTV exclusive)
Womens world cup was fox 4k
World cup last summer was fox 4k

Big east and big 10 tournament was fox 4k

The USA NBA 4k games are FSN

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Too bad none of the stations broadcast in 4k
Fox also does 4K live events !

Almost every major 4K event in the past 2 years has been Fox . Only exception is EPL soccer (NBC Sports) , golf (DirecTV exclusive , various broadcasters ) and this year Warner media did March madness . Beyond those 3 every other major 4k sports event was fox sports . O yes winter Olympics was NBC last year but most have. Been fox sports

MLB today is in fox 4k
NFL will be fox 4k
College football is fox 4k /Noter Dame is NBC (DirecTV exclusive)
Womens world cup was fox 4k
World cup last summer was fox 4k

Big east and big 10 tournament was fox 4k

The USA NBA 4k games are FSN

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Yesterday I had to swap out my (2 week old) replacement c61k for my old c61 (bedroom) because of daily sound stuttering problems. So I guess no more 4K watching for me.

The networks didn't skip 1080p, all their equipment was 1080p when they went HD. They didn't "do" 1080p because it was not part of the broadcast standards, so they'd produce in 1080p and convert to 1080i/720p for broadcast.
Then whats the point in having 1080P if its not gonna be used ?

I have NO Problem with Fox running 720P ... it's much better than 1080i ...
Fox has Sport to deal with ...
Btw, there are others that do it too.
ABC and ESPN come to mind.
People complaining about 1080i being better than 720p never made sense. You really can't tell the difference.

Then whats the point in having 1080P if its not gonna be used ?

It is used all the time, just not for broadcast. Computers, Blu Ray, "full HD" smartphones etc. all use 1080p. The HD broadcast standard was developed back when video compression was in its infancy. There wasn't enough bandwidth for an MPEG2 compressed 1080p60 in an ATSC signal, so there wasn't a spec for it. Cable/satellite followed broadcast standards so they didn't use it either.

It is used all the time, just not for broadcast. Computers, Blu Ray, "full HD" smartphones etc. all use 1080p. The HD broadcast standard was developed back when video compression was in its infancy. There wasn't enough bandwidth for an MPEG2 compressed 1080p60 in an ATSC signal, so there wasn't a spec for it. Cable/satellite followed broadcast standards so they didn't use it either.
I realized what I said after I typed it .... :oldno

It's difficult for many of us to see that big a difference because some 720P and 1080i broadcasts are not created equal. Some shows, even on the same channel, look better than others. Look at a rerun of an older Law and Order. Superb PQ compared to some of what we see now. Different studios use better/newer equipment.

I have yet to see a 720p program with better quality than I regularly get with 1080i.

For what AT&T has paid for the NFL rights, and the extra reverse band space available there should be no reason why all games can’t be in 4K.

I've been told by a guy whose worked for years in the local broadcast industry that the problem is that regular Sunday games, carried on CBS and Fox, are contractually different from Fox's Thursday Night Football, which (as far as we know) is the only NFL game that will be in 4K this season. The regular Sunday games cannot be separated from local affiliates' feeds (i.e. the video stream that they beam out OTA and provide directly to MVPDs) but apparently Thursday Night Football actually belongs to NFL Network and they just share the rights to it with both Fox (for broadcast/cable) and Prime Video (for streaming). Because of that, it CAN be distributed by Fox via a direct-to-consumer nationwide feed that bypasses Fox's local affiliate stations. And that's how they're doing it in 4K. Because there are pretty much zero local affiliates of Fox (or ABC, NBC, or CBS) who are ready yet to broadcast in 4K.

That said, perhaps we'll soon see Monday Night Football on ESPN available in 4K via streaming in the ESPN app, as well as from MVPDs that can handle it like DirecTV, DISH, Comcast, Altice, Verizon, etc.

Thats wrong. NFL ST feeds are separated from local affiliates. If you ever watch a ST feed it has a small white NFL logo in the corner. They originate from the production trucks.

There is enough reverse band space for approximately 30 4K channels if I remember right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: dtv757

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)