NFL in talks on London Super Bowl

cosmo_kramer

Master of my Domain
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2005
41.605N, -72.879W
Looks like there is a good chance this might happen.

Is this a good idea, or not??

I've never been to a Super Bowl, but I know a few people that have and they have said they probably would, or could not go if it were held overseas.

Obviously, for those of us watching on TV there wouldn't be much of a change, but would the different type of crowd have any impact on the game??

BBC SPORT | Other sport... | American Football | NFL in talks on London Super Bowl

Well if they're willing to do this, they should be willing to do it in places like Los Angeles and Las Vegas (if a facility was built).

Biggest problem is time difference, there's no playing the Super Bowl and just rebroadcasting it again for America in prime time. If it's to start at 7pm EST it would have to start at midnight in London. Regular season games are earlier in the day, easier to accomplish with the time difference.

Sounds like another trial balloon from Goodell.

The truth is that the NFL is running low in "Super Bowl Quality" facilities in many of it's corporate friendly cities.

New Orleans, San Diego and Los Angeles need new stadiums. That leaves Miami, Tampa and Phoenix...and possibly Houston...as it's only top challengers, Dallas gets it's chance to prove itself in 2011. That's just too few cities to rotate the game around too, with an occasional dome in a northern city(Indy in 2012).

With the economy for another billion dollar stadium dried up, offering the Super Bowl to London just seems like a money grab by the NFL to up the ante from fringe cities(Atlanta?,Charlotte?).

Play it in a cold weather city with an outdoor stadium for once!
There are quite a few NFL teams that play in winter weather.
Southern teams play road games in cold northern stadiums.
If any of the Bills' four consecutive losses were played outdoors, they might have won one of them.

Oh, I forgot it's all about the fat cats attending that don't want to wear a winter coat and hat.

The NHL is now hosting an outdoor hockey game once a year and it is getting a huge crowd and rave reviews.

Play it in a cold weather city with an outdoor stadium for once!
There are quite a few NFL teams that play in winter weather.
Southern teams play road games in cold northern stadiums.
If any of the Bills' four consecutive losses were played outdoors, they might have won one of them.

Two of their Super Bowls WERE played outdoors- Wide Right, and the 52-17 loss.

I don't like this idea at all :mad::down. i already don't like the regular season games in london. keep it here in america where it belongs. i have to believe there are more NFL fans here than anywhere else in the world. shouldn't take it away from the largest fan base for the sport.

Screw going to London!

I don't even know why we have to have a regular season game there anyways!

But seriously, there is only 16 games in the regular season and 1 game for the Superbowl. We don't play enough games as it is right now to justify having one over seas, especially the championship game.

I could understand if it was the best of 7 series like they do with the MLB, NBA and NHL. For 1game it needs to be played in the United States.

A matter of fact, I don't even like this whole host city crap. Granted I liked it when they had it in Detroit in 2005, but I al really sick and tired of seeing it in places like Miami every fricken year. The NFL should really do something like having it in the city of the team that won the Superbowl the previous year. Let the city earn the rights to the Superbowl.

Don't even get me started on Ticket prices, they are already prices way above what they should be.

Last edited by a moderator:
London in February:

Average high - 47, average low 36, record low -9.

TV Friendly start at 6:00 PM US ET is 11 PM there. Weather friendly start at 3 PM there is 7 AM in LA, 5 AM in Honolulu.

Number of people in London that would understand what is going on. Maybe 36?

Idiotic.

Rotate between the current Southern cities, with the occasional northern dome. Maybe Las Vegas or Toronto.

The NFL is acting like a bunch of annual convention types, tired of going to the same places over and over. B

Screw going to London!

But seriously, there is only 16 games in the regular season and 1 game for the Superbowl. We don't play enough games as it is right now to justify having one over seas, especially the championship game.

I could understand if it was the best of 7 series like they do with the MLB, NBA and NHL. For 1game it needs to be played in the United States.

A matter of fact, I don't even like this whole host city crap. Granted I liked it when they had it in Detroit in 2005, but I al really sick and tired of seeing it in places like Miami every fricken year. The NFL should really do something like having it in the city of the team that won the Superbowl the previous year. Let the city earn the rights to the Superbowl.

Don't even get me started on Ticket prices, they are already prices way above what they should be.

exactly. goodell forgot that the average blue collar american made football what it is today. football is an american sport that should be played here in the states. if he wants games played in other countries, give them pre season.

Last edited by a moderator:
:( Not a good idea, as mentioned earlier, this is our championship game that should be played on our land. Though the crowd for superbowls I have heard in almost all corprate.

....and another thing. Another example of some corporation/business shipping an American product over seas!!! Goddell is seriously starting to creep closer to the top of the "commissioners I hate" list. Considering the economy we are in and how bad America is sufferring because of the economy, Goddell is looking like another corporate giant getting greedy and not wanting to spend money HERE but over THERE!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

I honestly think EVERY SINGLE NFL city should flood the League Offices with phone calls and emails DEMANDING the NFL to keep those dollars HERE in the US!!! I for one would flood them with emails like crazy if this were to happen.

rey_1178;1797092[B said:
]I don't like this idea at all :mad::down. i already don't like the regular season games in london. keep it here in america where it belongs. i have to believe there are more NFL fans here than anywhere else in the world. shouldn't take it away from the largest fan base for the sport.[/B]

Screw going to London!

Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a couple of winners!

Because Chicago in late January/early February is like the Artic but with more wildlife. I lived there for 8 years and that is the WRONG time of the year for any human beings to have any exposed skin!! ;)

These are FOOTBALL players, not ballarenia's.

It would be nice for a cold weather team to be able to play in the cold weather, ala GB ..... It gives a HUGE advantage to a warm weather team to know they will play in warm weather.

These are FOOTBALL players, not ballarenia's.

It would be nice for a cold weather team to be able to play in the cold weather, ala GB ..... It gives a HUGE advantage to a warm weather team to know they will play in warm weather.

I think the majority are talking about the FANS point of view. LOL, I do not give a ratz ass about the condition they are playing in....But I wanna be as comfortbale as possible if I am dishing out a ton of money to go live or if not, I want a US city to cash on the economic boom the Super Bowl will bring to a hosting city.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)