NFL Network Observation

zippyfrog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Chicago, IL
I am a big NFL fan, so NFL Network is a part of viewing habits. I noticed a pattern with NFL Network and Dish:

Dropped: Thursday, June 16, 2016, 7pm ET
Returned: Tuesday, August 2, 2016, 9pm ET (day or two before preseason games began)

Dropped: Friday, June 19, 2020, 9pm ET
Returned: Sunday, Sept 13, 2020, 1pm ET (right at the start of the regular season)

In 2008 Dish/NFL signed a deal and then there was a lawsuit between the NFL/Dish on moving NFL Network up a tier, which was then settled out of court because the judge said a 2006 deal was still in place. And if I remember right, there was a threat for it to be dropped in 2012 but never was. So it looks like there is a pattern of every 4 years for Dish and the NFL. Makes me wonder if we are due for a Dish Network/NFL Network dispute in the next couple of weeks. The past two times Dish has dropped it in the offseason when next to nothing is going on in the NFL and most NFL fans really wouldn't care. And with the NFL's push to move original content to NFL+ over NFL Network, you have to wonder if NFL Network will be dropped again and then would return in time for games.

NFL Network is also available with NFL+ now, which makes it more accessible than last time Dish had a dispute.

Since the NFL seems intent on killing the network it might all end up being a moot point. It appears no one over there knows exactly what is going on or why much less what the end goal may be. The only major upside I can see so far is that the big windbag Michael Irvin is off the air. Let's hope none of the other networks are dumb enough to put him back on. (Same goes for Phil Simms, booted from CBS, finally!).

Since the NFL seems intent on killing the network it might all end up being a moot point. It appears no one over there knows exactly what is going on or why much less what the end goal may be. The only major upside I can see so far is that the big windbag Michael Irvin is off the air. Let's hope none of the other networks are dumb enough to put him back on. (Same goes for Phil Simms, booted from CBS, finally!).
Agreed. The only thing that NFL Network is really good for are the lives games that they have. So much is now on NFL+ that NFL Network has turned into reruns of Top 100 shows, A Football Life, replays of games. But now with Good Morning Football up in the air for what that will look like, NFL Total Access is no more, there isn't a lot until training camp begins. And even at that, last year they really cut back their training camp coverage as most of it was on NFL+. And looking at the combine this past February - yes, a lot of live coverage, but once again, a large emphasis on NFL+ and exclusive combine coverage there.

I don't know how many years left NFL Network has. My guess is that it will exist until 2029 as that is when the NFL can opt out and re-do it's current TV deals. And it would not surprise me if we see less live coverage on NFL Network outside of the games, schedule release, draft, and combine.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Lexington Kentucky locals outage

Please DISH get METV back!