NFL Network subscriber fees

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
A local cable company rep spoke to the media about why most of the nation's large cable companies are not offering NFL Network, as are E* and D*. They said that so far the NFL Network ratings are almost non-existent, well below a 1.0 from Neilsen.

Despite these extremely low ratings, the NFL Network is asking for a rate increase from 25 cents per month per sub to 72-75 cents per month per sub. They also want to be included in the standard/basic channel package, and not in a special upgraded tier or sports package.

So far less than 45% of all homes that sub to a channel provider have access to NFL Network. The majority of the nation's homes that get the channel are getting it from E* and D*.

In order to drive subscriptions to the channel, the NFL took the 8 Thursday night games off the table during the NFL contract bidding. TV experts say this cost the NFL about $400M in network fees, I think this was over the life of a 3 or 4 year contract.

The NFL has been running ads in dozens of cities criticizing cable companies for not carrying the channel, urging people to write their cable companies to complain. Both E* and D* have been advertising that they have it and have been able to pick up new subs. They are targeting places like several cities in Wisconsin which will not be able to see an upcoming Vikings - Packers game unless they have NFL Network.

The NFL is following the example set by ESPN of demanding higher rates and broad availability. So far they are not backing down on their rates.

Given Charlie's history of resisting these tactics, it leaves me wondering if he was able to cut a sweetheart deal just so the NFL could put the screws on the big cable companies. It isn't normal to see hiim be the first guy on the block to pay a 200% rate increase.

The NFL has been running ads in dozens of cities criticizing cable companies for not carrying the channel, urging people to write their cable companies to complain. Both E* and D* have been advertising that they have it and have been able to pick up new subs. They are targeting places like several cities in Wisconsin which will not be able to see an upcoming Vikings - Packers game unless they have NFL Network.

that is deceiving. In the teams local markets, it will be shown on a local station. So in Minnesota, WFTC 29 will be showing the game and WFTC is available in most of the state (except the Duluth and Fargo DMA's)

Wisconsin I assume somebody in Green Bay & Milwaukee will show it locally.

After watching that crap telecast last night, I wish E* wasn't paying them either. The one time Charlie isn't a tightwad. Does anyone know if Charlie is paying what the cable companies are being asked to pay?

After watching that crap telecast last night, I wish E* wasn't paying them either. The one time Charlie isn't a tightwad. Does anyone know if Charlie is paying what the cable companies are being asked to pay?

Yup, the picture broke up at times and the sound had problems at times too - some FiOS folks reported the same problems, so this was not the carrier's fault. It was a good game and I really like NFL football, but I am increasingly concerned about the NFL's seemingly boundless greed.

I was watching it on TSN (Canadian broadcaster...they have the rights) and the picture broke up during the game and the sound was blech

The NFL Network has some work to do on their telecasts. Bryant Gumble is a HORRID play-by-play guy. Sounds like he is doing a serious interview the whole time. The PQ of the game wasn't as good as what CBS/FOX/NBC provides either.

The NFL Network has some work to do on their telecasts. Bryant Gumble is a HORRID play-by-play guy. Sounds like he is doing a serious interview the whole time. The PQ of the game wasn't as good as what CBS/FOX/NBC provides either.

And Collingsworst is just as bad!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess there wasn't anyone else out there left that they could choose from

Sure it was.... of twenty years ago!

PQ was horrible, sound was horrible, announcers were horrible, ...the game was great! Denver lost! :D

Seriously though, I truly believe that the quality of the video and audio was comparable to that of twenty or so years ago.

The only reason why E* signed up with NFL Network, is so that they could counter D*'s NFL ads. E* was able to try to "pull the wool over potential subs eyes" by claiming "We now have NFL on E*!" They could then claim that you could see "all the games" on E*, they just didn't tell you as prominently, that those games were mostly delayed on the NFL Net.

If the cable cos. conitinue to balk, and I hope they do, then E* and D*(esp. E*) will use this as bargaining for next renewal. Anybody know the length of the current E*/NFL network contract? Hope it's short.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)