NFL SUNDAY TICKET ON DISH NETWORK

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Here is a better question . . . does the NFL want to continue the monopoly with Direct or spread the wealth and in essence, earn more money . . . NFL on Dish, FIOS, Time Warner, etc. . . . unfortunately if this did happen, like MLB, Charlie is not a sports fan and will not bid for it

Here is a better question . . . does the NFL want to continue the monopoly with Direct or spread the wealth and in essence, earn more money . . . NFL on Dish, FIOS, Time Warner, etc. . . . unfortunately if this did happen, like MLB, Charlie is not a sports fan and will not bid for it

That is not likely... Futhermore if anyone makes to move to make the package non-exclusive to D* I think it would likely be D* that makes that decision.

Right now DTV pays an OUTRAGEOUS amount to the NFL for exclusive rights to the ticket and doesn't make up even half of what they pay on Sunday ticket payments alone. They do make it up by having those people as customers the rest of the year though. If they DO actually put it up for non-exclusive bids you can rest assured D* will not even pay 1/4 of what they do now for it. Charlie will balk at the high price that the NFL will likely want so the prospect of it being on Dish is slim even if the NFL does make it like other sports packages (see also MLB extra innings). TWC still does not carry NFL Network so how much inerest do you think they have in overpaying for an expensive subscription sports package?

Flat out the NFL has a sweetheart deal with D* right now where they don't have to spend time or money worrying about negotiating with every cable company in every small pocket of the U.S., they have one carrier that can broadcast the games in HD, gives them sponsorship money for all kinds of things (like camera's dangling over the field during playoff games), is available in the entire U.S.A. in cable and non-cable markets, promotes their product non-stop for 6 months a year (not a short mention or just a logo on the bottom of a commercial like every other carrier does for NHL Center Ice, ESPN Gameplan, ect...), and works tirelessly to improve the product and not just provide the channels for that package and try to streamline it for profitablility's sake.

If the NFL drops the exclusivity with D* they are shooting the Sunday Ticket and themselves' in the foot.

D* loses less if they lose the exclusivity than the NFL does. 5 years ago that was a different story, but not today... DTV has other draws to their product and don't need the Sunday Ticket to stay profitable, in fact not overpaying for the ticket may make them MORE profitable...

Let's break down per carrier...

Cable Cos.

Unless they all band together to negotiate one "exclusive to cable" agreement there is no way that the NFL is going to go exclusive with any cable co... any one cable co. just doesn't cover enough area to interest the NFL and likewise they don't have enough potential exclusive for the ticket subscribers to have any reason to outbid D*. I don't see them all banding together like that first off, plus every cable company would want to negotiate their own price and given the problems in negotiations for the NFL Network I don't think the NFL wants to do that all over again.

Also, you know the NFL is going to want an HD option for every game... Last year there were 8-13 simultaneous games going on (not counting overlaps when 1pm games went over into the 4pm game slots). There is an HD bandwidth problem all in itself... do the cable company's have the extra bandwidth for 13+ NFL games at the same time or the desire to cut off other HD channels on Sundays for the NFL?

Dish Network.

Let's face it... Dish just isn't going to pony up for an exclusive sports pack, especially when it involves losing 100s of millions of $$$ for the opportunity to pick up enough subs to cover that cost if they can market it correctly... Ask yourself if Charlie wants to do that... you know the answer already.

E* is focused on marketting themselves as a cheaper alternative to everyone else, you can't be losing 400+ million a year on one sports package and still undercut the competition... ain't happening.

Even if it isn't exclusive to D* after next year, don't expect it to suddenly be offered on E*... you know better than that, see also MLB extra innings.

DirecTV

They have the motivation to keep it, they already have it! However the exclusive rights money isn't going to be a bottomless well this time like it has been in the past simply because they can live without it being exclusive and they know that noone else will pony up to make it exclusive either. D* has much more to offer now than just the NFL ticket so the likelyhood of a mass exedous from D* to other providers because they can get the ticket somewhere else as well as D* just is not likely anymore. I personally think that D* would be better off having the NFL ticket as a non-exclusive package and negotiating a non-exclusive deal where they can make a profit off of selling the ticket.

However, I do see D* going after the exclusive rights again for this reason... so nobody else can even try to get it exclusively on the ticket.

It will be interesting to see what they do...

Think about it...

I have seen it reported that D* pays 700 mil to get exclusive rights to the ticket and only makes back 300 mil on Sunday Ticket fees.

This is the real world and you know the NFL is going to want more next time around and the thought of them asking 1 billion or more is not out of the question.

However if D* doesn't go exclusive on the ticket they have no motivation to lose money on the deal so their deal probably goes down to the range of 200 million... That's a lot of money for the NFL but the problem is that there are not 5 D*s out there and you know E* isn't going to pay $200 mil when they would have to win 50% of the NFL ticket marketshare just to break even and meanwhile D* is starting off the race for the subs with 100% market-share head start.

It just doesn't make financial sense for anyone but the NFL to keep the rights exclusive to one carrier anymore... That's why I say you guys have it exactly backwards.

You make a lot of assumptions to make your plan make sense. We have no idea what the value would be if it were to package itself as something that can be added to any provider.

It's likely to remain a DirecTV exclusive for the near future, short of them demanding too much, or the marketplace drasticly changing, there's no reason to change it.

It's been pretty well repeated ad naseum, if you like sports, Directv is your service. I like the fact that E* doesn't try to sell me sports packages I don't want and doesn't cram a lot of channel space with it either.

Lets not forget that NFLST takes extra space to broadcast. Most of the other sports packages can be acheived with remaps of exsisting RSN's. That is alot of wasted space.

Thats why D* has some many extra HD PPV that Dish fanatics say are not HD channels. Because on Sunday those HD PPVs channels go away and the NFL ST games go in there place. It is alot of HD capacity to have.

Does dish have that capacity yes they will when all the new satellites get in there proper satellite location. But other then the fact that charlie is a cheap, would he give up the HD capacity for one sports package. We are talking about 8-13 channels of HD space that could be used for Fox Business HD or FNC HD .... Or wait Infomerical TV HD! lol but in all honesty it at the very least 8 more national HD channels that you would have to give up to make room for NFLST. I just dont see that happening.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)