NFL Sunday Ticket Pricing

Well with E* I get more premimum movie channels, more HD and the superstations and i was able to get E* with no commitment. I have looked at the StarChoice website, dont I have to have a Canadian address? How would I get the equipment and install in Utah?

If D* lost Sunday Ticket, and various cable companies picked it up, would D* be able to pick it back up for the lower cost (and the obvious competition), or would they be SOL?

Jimbos said:
Nothing illegal about star choice, check out thier website if you need more info about it.

Well, that's a little misleading. There's nothing illegal about BUYING Canadian services, but it's illegal for them to SELL it. So you have to jump though a few hoops.

Google ("Address Broker" Starchoice) for some info.

Some people seem to think address brokering is illegal, so if you're concerned, you might want to do some research on "falsifying addresses". But those brokers have been in business a long time. You pay them, they rent you a PO Box, and they pay your bills for you. I don't see a problem with it, not even from an ethical standpoint. (And I have reletively high ethical standards.) Especially if you also subscribe to a US service.

As far as I'm concerned, the legal burdon is on the program provider and the broker.

I would love to get Drive-In Classics and a few other Canadian Only channels, but I can't justify the expense for just a few extra channels.

M Sparks said:
Well, that's a little misleading. There's nothing illegal about BUYING Canadian services, but it's illegal for them to SELL it. So you have to jump though a few hoops.

Google ("Address Broker" Starchoice) for some info.

Some people seem to think address brokering is illegal, so if you're concerned, you might want to do some research on "falsifying addresses". But those brokers have been in business a long time. You pay them, they rent you a PO Box, and they pay your bills for you. I don't see a problem with it, not even from an ethical standpoint. (And I have reletively high ethical standards.) Especially if you also subscribe to a US service.

whoa....lets back the wagon up and let me explain how a broker works (since I use one). There's 2 types...the good ones and the shady ones

good ones...you pay a yearly fee ($50-$100 a year) and they set you up on auto cc pay. You get charged the CAD $$ by the provider (SC or EVu) and you get the conversion rate. Your broker is basically a middle person to set up the account and make programming changes on behalf of you. You get charged by the provider, NOT the broker (except their yearly fee)

shady-you pay them and they pay the provider....if you have one of then...RUN!!
They are doing illegal things (account stacking...charging more than they should, charging a "tax" on it)...oh did I mention RUN from them?

I have used a reputable broker for 2 1/2 years now with no issues. The only time I talk to my broker is to make programming changes.

Your points are informative and well taken.
A good route for most to take that do not have another alternative.
That would be to have a personal contact such as a relative or good friend that has a Canadian address.
The account can be set up using the personal contacts address and the monthly statement can be paid directly from your credit card as you have stated.
You can, from the States, call directly to the provider for any changes to the account without questions.
The account statement would be mailed to your name at the friends address. (No in care of used.)

Another point to consider, your friends address becomes the deciding factor for sporting black-outs which sometimes occur but not with the frequency like in the States.

Either way, Iceberg's or my alternative will work. ( As long as you keep kissin' your contacts a--.) :)

Another point to consider, your friends address becomes the deciding factor for sporting black-outs which sometimes occur but not with the frequency like in the States.
really the only blackouts are for NHL games

Geronimo said:
We all know why DISH does not have Sunday ticket. Why waste yet another thread on it.

Are the threads really that precious that they can't be wasted? :rolleyes:

Actually, this thread was quite useful for me. I've been on the verge of cancelling E* HD service. 90% of my viewing time is either OTA HDTV or DVD's / HD DVD (netflix + purchases). The only thing keeping me from pulling the plug on E* is MNF on ESPN HD this fall. I never considered Canadian satellite service. My brother lives in Vancouver, B.C., so it would be quite easy for me to use his address to order service. Does anyone know if the CC for billing has to have a Canadian address, or is U.S. issued plastic acceptable? And how does installation work? No problem for me to figure out installing, pointing & peaking the dish. But does a licensed installer have to call in to register the receiver?

Last edited:
Reply to CochiseGuy's question, "But does a licensed installer have to call in to register the receiver?"

No, anyone can call in the authorization request.
Lots of customers install their own system.
Have the usual information ready, address of receiver , which in your case would be Vancouver. Have the Vancouver phone number ready also. Receiver numbers and programming package wanted. There will not be any contractual time limit for programming.

If you are lucky enough that your brother has satellite service and you want the same provider that he is using, then the receiver could be authorized in Vancouver using his Sat. In cable, then taken back to your home already done.
Dish installation only requirement when you get back.
This would be a separate account billed to your credit card using his address.

Thanks for the replies & info, Iceberg & Clancy. Goggle is also a good friend. A search for "Canadian satellite TV" also turned up some good sources. From Global Communications' (global-cm.net) "Canada Solutions":
"Consider a preauthorization service when purchasing Star Choice receivers, in which your programming selection is confirmed operating before equipment is shipped to you. This is done after you have made proper arrangements within Canada to purchase programming, and makes the installation of your system much easier. Star Choice receivers are much like their Motorola 4DTV cousins, in that actual pictures do not appear on digital signals until AFTER the receiver has been authorized for subscription programming. Preauthorization eliminates the Catch-22 situation in which you could find yourself while trying to find the proper satellite on a non-authorized (virgin) receiver BEFORE calling in for service." My brother in Vancouver has cable TV, so pre-authorization seems the way to go. I'm visiting him this summer, so I might as well just order, pre-authorize, have it shipped to him, & then brink it home with me.

I also see where *C primarily uses the Anik F2 bird for HDTV. That's what I'm locked on for WildBlue sat. internet, so I know reception is good in my area. Seriously thinking of going Canadian here (for sat. TV, anyway). I'll sign off of this thread, and direct any future questions the Canadian Satellite Forum. Thanks again, eh?

Last edited:
Thanks CochiseGuy.
After reading your reply, you should know that *C dishes are available in 3 different sizes. The usual size for most of Canada is 60cm.(24") elliptical. They are also available at 75cm.(30")elliptical and 1 metre(39").
You might want to order ahead of time to allow delivery, a 75cm.(30") dish to take back home with you.

Clancy said:
Thanks CochiseGuy.
After reading your reply, you should know that *C dishes are available in 3 different sizes. The usual size for most of Canada is 60cm.(24") elliptical. They are also available at 75cm.(30")elliptical and 1 metre(39").
You might want to order ahead of time to allow delivery, a 75cm.(30") dish to take back home with you.

Thanks, Clancy. Yeah, I saw that. I want the 75E (72 cm Elliptical) dish, right? :)

yes
the 75e (37x27) is much better unless you are right on the border. Then the 60e will work but you're more suseptical to rain fade

Iceberg said:
yes
the 75e (37x27) is much better unless you are right on the border. Then the 60e will work but you're more suseptical to rain fade

I'm almost "right on the border", but the WRONG border! :p Just 60 miles to Mexico!

But then, the burittos are better down this way!

Thanks, 75e it is.:)

I did an install for a guy here in Minnesota with a 60e and it was a bugger to aim. Had to be just right.

The 75e has some leeway :)

350 million @ 249 each is 3 million subscribers (about). Everything above that is gravey. If Dish has 3 million HD subscribers, D should be able to get 4 million NFL subscribers.