NFL Sunday Ticket Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kentuck1163

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
I am fairly new to Directv (2.5 weeks) and I just was checking out the NFL Sunday Ticket. Let me get this straight, no HD games unless you also purchase that SuperFan add-on for another $99.00????

You will only get the HD games on your local channels, ESPN, and NFL Network if you don't buy Superfan.

herdfan said:
Rumor has it that SF will be free again next year. A price for Superfan is not listed on the D* website.

AGAIN next year ????
I paid $ 100 for the privlage to watch most of the NFL games in HD.....

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
AGAIN next year ????
I paid $ 100 for the privlage to watch most of the NFL games in HD.....
OK, could have phrased it better.:eek:

It WAS free 2 years ago, and should be free again this year.

You should have gotten a $50 credit if you paid $99. Call D* and bitch.

Since i subcribed the year previous to last season as well I got offered SF for $49. I hope it is free to current Sunday Ticket subscribers this year. We should not be charged extra to the already big price of Sunday Ticket itself just to get the games in HD. I don't care so much about Game Mix, and I don't care at all about Red Zone channel (because they only use FOX broadcasts) And BTW Super Fan was NOT even created until last year. 2 years ago there was no Super Fan, and D* offered the HD games as part of the Sunday Ticket package.

I bet they do charge for Superfan again. The reason I say this is that they sent out a couple different letters stating that some of us get a $50 credit for next year's SF and others got one with a $99 credit(like me). Doesn't seem like there would be two letters with different amounts of credits towards SF if they planned on not charging for it.

Well a $99 credit is FREE essentially though. Why are some getting $50 credits while others will on get $99 credits?

Its great to talk Sunday Ticket/NFL, in regards to the "credit" letter that many of us received awhile back. I have mine for 99.00 and that is one document that I have kept secure!!! for future reference when we get closer to NFL time!!

I am still in shock that I am being asked to fork over $322 ($223 for NFL Sunday Ticket and $99 for SuperFan) to watch NFL games in HD when I already have agreed to a 2-year commitment (to get the H20 for free), and am already paying the HD package fee per month. That just seems wrong to me.

kentuck1163 said:
I am still in shock that I am being asked to fork over $322 ($223 for NFL Sunday Ticket and $99 for SuperFan) to watch NFL games in HD when I already have agreed to a 2-year commitment (to get the H20 for free), and am already paying the HD package fee per month. That just seems wrong to me.

I may be wrong on this and if I am I apologize, but just so you know the HD upgrade is part of the sports package for the Sunday ticket, so thats what makes it different then the HD regular channels. It does kind of suck, that we have to pay extra, but allot of us NFL fans do it so I guess that why they keep on doing it. the "Superfan" upgrade is not only HD, but interactive stuff as well as some other stuff. I know the other stuff is not a big deal, but they lump the HD in with it. And just in case you did not know. You don't need the HD upgrade if you just want to watch your local televised games in HD.

satjay said:
I may be wrong on this and if I am I apologize, but just so you know the HD upgrade is part of the sports package for the Sunday ticket, so thats what makes it different then the HD regular channels. It does kind of suck, that we have to pay extra, but allot of us NFL fans do it so I guess that why they keep on doing it. the "Superfan" upgrade is not only HD, but interactive stuff as well as some other stuff. I know the other stuff is not a big deal, but they lump the HD in with it. And just in case you did not know. You don't need the HD upgrade if you just want to watch your local televised games in HD.

For a Bengals fan stuck in central Mississippi, there are few chances for me to see my team on the local channels.

This always has to be laid out when this COST thing comes up. Have you EVER been a season ticket holder to a real NFL team? I have, and on the the 20 yard line corner seats at $45 per seat, per person, times 8 games - at the time - so not that expensive compared to the "big time" areas; and even though I totally agree that you CAN'T beat seeing it live, think about THIS typical family situation based on the cheap crap tickets:

4 Season CHEAP seats: ENDZONE CRAP $80 x 4 people = $320 / season

1 hotdog and 1 soda per kid (if you are cheap) $11.5 x 8 = $92 / season

1 hotdog and 1 beer per adult (you are still cheap) $17.5 x 8 = $140 / season

You are so CHEAP you buy nothing else all year; the cheap season seats generally do not include a paid parking pass, but I will leave that out to make this even more evident.

This totals $552 / season for a family of four to sit in the crappy seats and have minimal refreshments; some $200 MORE than being able to sit in the comfort of their own home with 20 friends if they choose and along with their refrigerator!
AND no dealing with those drunk bastards that always tend to occupy those areas.

The NFL Sunday Ticket (with or without the SuperFan) IS A BARGAIN; plain and simple. If you don't like the costs, don't order it and take your self to the actual games. ADD IN in travel too if your team is out of market or you have a substantial drive distance.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
This always has to be laid out when this COST thing comes up.

The NFL Sunday Ticket (with or without the SuperFan) IS A BARGAIN; plain and simple. If you don't like the costs, don't order it and take your self to the actual games. ADD IN in travel too if your team is out of market or you have a substantial drive distance.

I'm not cheap. What I protest is not the cost of the NFL Sunday Ticket, but the practice of charging extra for the access to the HD versions. Tell me what justification DirecTV has for this?

I mean, wouldn't you object if DirecTV started to charge a separate fee for full-resolution HD channels versus the HD-Lite versions they are beaming now?

It seems to me that DirecTV would gain a lot more subscribers (they high-end ones they claim to be targeting) if they would stop this practice of charging extra for the HD versions. More people would upgrade to HD, more new HD subscribers would be attracted to DirecTV, etc.

kentuck1163 said:
I'm not cheap. What I protest is not the cost of the NFL Sunday Ticket, but the practice of charging extra for the access to the HD versions. Tell me what justification DirecTV has for this?

I mean, wouldn't you object if DirecTV started to charge a separate fee for full-resolution HD channels versus the HD-Lite versions they are beaming now?

It seems to me that DirecTV would gain a lot more subscribers (they high-end ones they claim to be targeting) if they would stop this practice of charging extra for the HD versions. More people would upgrade to HD, more new HD subscribers would be attracted to DirecTV, etc.

The justification, no matter what, is BUSINESS; plain and simple; they as everyone else, are in business to make money. Car companies up-charge for everything now days (as do most companies). Trying to make a price point for EVERY BUDGET.

Same situation. If we don't like it, we move on without buying it; the entire thing or per added feature to save money.

Value (or worth) is mostly determined by what the majority decides; if say 65% or more of the subscribers buy into the pricing scheme then the price point has been proved; less than that and they must discontinue the product or introduce a lower price. Simple market economics at work.

If you and others feel the price is not fair, unfortunately you either have to wait without said product/feature until it is proved to be overly priced, OR you must suffer the current costs to get the product now.

Last edited:
charper1 said:
The justification, no matter what, is BUSINESS; plain and simple; they as everyone else, are in business to make money. Car companies up-charge for everything now days (as do most companies). Trying to make a price point for EVERY BUDGET.

Same situation. If we don't like it, we move on without buying it; the entire thing or per added feature to save money.

Value (or worth) is mostly determined by what the majority decides; if say 65% or more of the subscribers buy into the pricing scheme then the price point has been proved; less than that and they must discontinue the product or introduce a lower price. Simple market economics at work.

If you and others feel the price is not fair, unfortunately you either have to wait without said product/feature until it is proved to be overly priced, OR you must suffer the current costs to get the product now.

What I'll probably do is call them to order it, and if they won't throw in the Superfan thing for free, then I'll tell them to forget it. That will be my little way of registering a protest.

A 2-mile trip to a bar to watch it there is way less expensive.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts