NFL Sunday Ticket (Yes I know it's not available on Dish Network!)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

alebowgm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 29, 2004
So the regular NFL season just finished a week or two ago. DirecTV is going into their final year of their exclusive agreement for the NFL Sunday Ticket package in 2009. Do you think Charlie Ergen is going to negotitate to bring the package back to Dish Network?

Scott, if you guys have an oppertunity to talk to Ergen at CES, this would be an awsome question to raise with him...

The answer will probably be no. Dish does not believe in paying big bucks for sports. They figure all the sports fans are already with DIRECTV.

I would hope they wouldn't. Especially if it involves raising prices even further on non-sports packages to cover. All the hardcore sports fans are already with DirecTV anyway.

Just think about how many new subscribers E* could get if it outbid D* for NFLST. Not that I think it will happen but it's a nice thought.

I also don't want to see them devote 3 or more TPs to NFL Sunday Ticket. Unlike Center Ice, League Pass, and Extra Innings, it's not just a matter of remaping already CONUS RSNs. One of the reasons you see so much HD PPV on DirecTV: holding slots for sports.

I'm sure the current setup has been profitable for both the NFL and DirecTV but it would be interesting to see if the NFL changes this package at all.

Right now the package is, "all games." What if the NFL sold the out of market games per team? For example, if you live in Arizona you can see all of the Cardinal games free over local networks. But you want to see all of the NY Giant games you pay $x amount for a one team package. If you want to see all of the NY Giants and NY Jets games you pay $x amount more. If you want to see all of the out of market games you pay $x amount more.

Just a thought.

I'm sure the current setup has been profitable for both the NFL and DirecTV but it would be interesting to see if the NFL changes this package at all.

Right now the package is, "all games." What if the NFL sold the out of market games per team? For example, if you live in Arizona you can see all of the Cardinal games free over local networks. But you want to see all of the NY Giant games you pay $x amount for a one team package. If you want to see all of the NY Giants and NY Jets games you pay $x amount more. If you want to see all of the out of market games you pay $x amount more.

Just a thought.

I've been bugging MLB to do this for years. For the most part, if you want one of these packages, you want it because you follow a team out of your market. You probably have no desire to watch every NFL or MLB game offered - you just want to watch your team.

So, why doesn't the NFL or MLB sell team packages? Seems like that would make too much sense.

What are the chances this doesn't become exclusive, where both Dish and DirecTV have it?

What are the chances this doesn't become exclusive, where both Dish and DirecTV have it?

From the NFL's point of view, it seems very likely. It appears that Direcrt would have to offer an obscene amount of money to be able to match what the NFL would otherwise make by having their package available from other providers; probably more than would make sense in order to maintain exclusivity. Of course, if the NFL just chooses to leave it alone, then that is another matter.

Just a thought.

I think NFL started this thing on NFL ST online, it was like $20 less than the full online ST package and you could follow one or two teams, I forgot how many

I think NFL started this thing on NFL ST online, it was like $20 less than the full online ST package and you could follow one or two teams, I forgot how many

I wonder if they're using the online as a test to see if they want to go this direction after 2010??

From the NFL's point of view, it seems very likely. It appears that Direcrt would have to offer an obscene amount of money to be able to match what the NFL would otherwise make by having their package available from other providers; probably more than would make sense in order to maintain exclusivity. Of course, if the NFL just chooses to leave it alone, then that is another matter.
OTOH, the networks (and especially the local affiliates) do not like NFL ST in the least, because it potentially takes eyeballs away from the local broadcasts and local commercials. They will probably be very critical of any expansion of NFL ST to the cable companies or Dish.

It would be a major shock to see NFL ST on anywhere else than DirecTV (and only DirecTV) with the next contract.

OTOH, the networks (and especially the local affiliates) do not like NFL ST in the least, because it potentially takes eyeballs away from the local broadcasts and local commercials. They will probably be very critical of any expansion of NFL ST to the cable companies or Dish.

I thought if a game was broadcast on your local channel it was blacked out on Sunday Ticket.

I want NFL Sunday Ticket available on every service ... Time Warner Cable, Dish, DirecTV, Verizon FIOS, AT&T U-verse. The more the better. Maybe it will bring down the cost of getting NFL Sunday Ticket everywhere. I'm a big Dolphins and Panthers fan. :)

I thought if a game was broadcast on your local channel it was blacked out on Sunday Ticket.

That's not his point. Your LiL would prefer you watch your local games only to see all the ads. With ST, you could watch whatever game, and thus football fans' eyeballs are not necessarily viewing local ads as they may be viewing out of market coverage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)