NFL Sunday ticket

Raptor

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
Does anyone know if theres any chance of dish adding the sunday ticket any time soon? (their CSR's sure as hell don't know anything) I'm thinking of buying a direct system just for the ticket.

The search feature is your friend...

But to answer you questions, No, not anytime soon as D* paid big money for exclusive rights to it, so if you want it, get your D* system.

I believe that Directv has a lock on the ticket until 2010. In my opinion the answer is NO, Dish won't be adding that to their programing anytime soon.

So, if you go with Directv be ready for their constant raising of the price for the Sunday ticket, and be ready for them to black out games that you may want to watch. I was with Directv last year. They blacked out my first six games. They give you no refund, when they do that either. This doesn't bother most subscribers of the Sunday Ticket. And they enjoy the service. I wish you well in your decision. Directv does a great job! They are solid.

Wow, we went almost what, two weeks without a Sunday Ticket thread? That might be some kind of record here!!!

Slamminc11 said:
Wow, we went almost what, two weeks without a Sunday Ticket thread? That might be some kind of record here!!!

wow way to jump on someone that is new here, this is what makes forums bad sometimes is there are people who are on that time of the month, that like to make themselves feel better by jumping all over someone, if you would take time look at his join date, and see he is new here! now play nicely childern.

That is correct that DirecTv has the exclusive rights to the Sunday Ticket through 2010. They paid $3.5 BILLION for it. That's why the Sunday Ticket cost $240 this year and goes up in price every year.

It is also true that blackouts can and do occur to Sunday Ticket subscribers.

DISH Network has never really pursued the Sunday Ticket because the enormous price tag would surely translate into a rate hike. DISH Network prides itself too much on having "America's lowest all digital price" to pursue such an expensive endeavor. Aside from the Sunday Ticket, DISH does have every other professional and college sports package you can dream of.

One final point for football fans.......in the past two weeks DISH has added the NFL Network Channel, College Sports TV, and ESPN U to its programming offerings. These channels have been added without a rate hike.

iceondsom said:
That is correct that DirecTv has the exclusive rights to the Sunday Ticket through 2010. They paid $3.5 BILLION for it. That's why the Sunday Ticket cost $240 this year and goes up in price every year.

What alot of people also dont realize is the DTV is loosing there ass on this deal as they are constantly loosing subs do to the high rate cost of the ST. Personaly I wouldnt pay more than 200 For any sports package. Its just not worth it.

iceondsom said:
One final point for football fans.......in the past two weeks DISH has added the NFL Network Channel, College Sports TV, and ESPN U to its programming offerings. These channels have been added without a rate hike.

Yet... Come Feb, we'll see what happens.

goaliebob99 said:
What alot of people also dont realize is the DTV is loosing there ass on this deal as they are constantly loosing subs do to the high rate cost of the ST.

Less than 50% of ST subcribers renewed their sub to the ST this year. You are in the majority of those who don't think the price is worth it. When DirecTv is locked into a multi-billion dollar contract and they aren't retaining ST subscribers, it is easy to see why the subscription price escalates each year.

iceondsom said:
Less than 50% of ST subcribers renewed their sub to the ST this year. You are in the majority of those who don't think the price is worth it. When DirecTv is locked into a multi-billion dollar contract and they aren't retaining ST subscribers, it is easy to see why the subscription price escalates each year.

Not only that DTV charging for the ST in HD was a "ball breaker" for most people. When it came in for free last year and this year DTV wanted to charge 99 bucks for the extended "superfan Package" that included hd.. What I see coming is the NFL opting out of there contract with DTV because of poor revinue with DTV and selling to cable and Dish. If they could offer the package with all the bells and wisles to dish, cable and DTV for around 169.99 I think that would be a fair deal and everyone would have the ST. The NFL would make Billions More on the deal than what DTV is currently bringing in. But thats my opinion.... (if i was the NFL thats what I would do.)

Slamminc11 said:
At most, it will go up a dollar ($1) and that's it.
I hope saying that wasn't rude or mean! ;) :D

I didn't take it rude or mean, but I think pkgs above AT60 will go up more than $1. And the AEP will go up an extra dollar compared to 180 eventhough there were no increases in premium channels or prices, just like the last price increase.

SatinKzo said:
I didn't take it rude or mean, but I think pkgs above AT60 will go up more than $1. And the AEP will go up an extra dollar compared to 180 eventhough there were no increases in premium channels or prices, just like the last price increase.

Well, whether it is a $1 or $2 jump, anyone that sat here on this site and screamed, yelled, and threatened to leave if Dish didn't add ESPNU, CSTV, and NFL Network doesn't get to gripe in IMHO (unless you can prove that Dish was able to get them for free). You got the channels that you wanted, and now the rest of us get to help you pay for them! Then again, my guess is that some of them will be leading the charge that the increase (when it comes) is totally unfair.

Another thing with that superfan package is they promo that you'll be able to watch 8 games at once on screen on a spceciual channel. Sounds cool, right? BUT, whatever game you locals are carrying, will be blacked out on the screen. That's just idiotic.

Was the money paid up front to the NFL for the right to broadcast the NFL ST, or are the fees spread out over the course of the contract? The only reason I ask is, if it was paid upfront, does the NFL care how many people sub per year from a monetary point of view? But if it is a contract over the length of the contract, then the NFL will def. care about how many subscribe to the ticket.

In short, I would love to have the cost at $165 and holding. The current price is outrageously high for a sports package. $318 for 17 weeks of HD pro football? Wow! The price alone is enough to break the addiction!

If HBO chaged $318 for 17 weeks of viewing, people would be furious. That would almost be $79.5 per month.

Slamminc11 said:
Well, whether it is a $1 or $2 jump, anyone that sat here on this site and screamed, yelled, and threatened to leave if Dish didn't add ESPNU, CSTV, and NFL Network doesn't get to gripe in IMHO (unless you can prove that Dish was able to get them for free). You got the channels that you wanted, and now the rest of us get to help you pay for them! Then again, my guess is that some of them will be leading the charge that the increase (when it comes) is totally unfair.

Oh you know they will be the first ones screaming at a price increase. Me personally, I like the channels, but really wouldn't miss them either. Like I said though, the only part I would be mad about is the extra increase on the AEP even when dish states there was no increase in premium service prices and nothing was added. As for the other price increases, $1 a year or such is ALOT less than cable jacks up the rates. I mean seriously, if I don't like the price increase, I'll downgrade, but I think I can handle an extra $12 a year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)