NFLHD only for new 'metal' package subscribers?

srinivos

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
I have been a Dish subscriber with a 942 dvr for more than 2yrs with top120 & the old $9.99 HD pack. I used to have two dishes but the one pointing towards 61.5 got stolen. Since I did not watch international programming anymore I did not bother to replace it. I just discovered that the NFLHD channel which used to be on 9464 has moved to 9426 and I don't see it anymore it listed in my guide. It seems that it has been moved from the 110 to 61.5/129 satellite. Does this mean that I have to upgrade now to get it? Since Dish moved it, will they agree to add a 61.5 dish which I can used with the 942?
I don't really care about Voom or any of the new channels or the cost increase so what is my best option for NFL?

I just got off the phone with Dish. I talked to reps in their 'Advanced Technical' support dept. These are the only people that ever seem to know what they are talking about ...

Anyway, I called because I was interested in what happened to my NFLHD and what my options were for the 622 upgrade. I was told the NFLHD had moved to a new sat AND changed to mpeg4. So, you will need the new vipxxx receivers.

I for one think it is not entirely fair they dropped a station from the 'legacy' HD lineup and didn't even say anything!!! I think it is crap, and that is why I called They have recorded my 'concerns' on my account ... more people should complain about this. I am sure they figured noone cared, because there used to be very little HD content on NFLHD, but there is a lot more GAME content planned this year.

We can get the single tuner for $49 or the dual tuner DVR for $199. There is a $100 over 10 months 'rebate' that can be applied also, so ultimately the DVR cost is $99. Not bad, but I had to go through a lot of crap to find out what happened to the channel and what my options were.

NFLHD and NGHD were only offered as a preview for a limited time. It is available right now on the preview channel 287.

Last edited:
psumattDE said:
NFL HD was always on 61.5 or 129 - i'm not seeing what the posters are complaining about?? It was only added a few months ago.

I think the permanent channels have always been. Might they have been on 110 during their preview? I vaguely remeber 2 channels showing up in my guide. I have Dish1000 and 61.5.
I could be wrong. Won't be the first time, won't be the last;)

Not really

psumattDE said:
NFL HD was always on 61.5 or 129 - i'm not seeing what the posters are complaining about?? It was only added a few months ago.

I had NFLHD for the entire 2005-06 season and it was on 9464, sat 110. So if it was a preview then it was a pretty long one! To move it to another satellite and make it inaccessible with a customers existing hardware is not acceptable.

Ever since my dish got stolen I have been thinking of upgrading but the extra few channels(voom, unihd etc.) weren't really worth it to me. Also, I paid $250 to lease the 942 & this additional $200(albeit with $100 rebate) for the 622 doesn't seem to be a fair proposition. Reading about all the freezing, rebooting issues has not enthused me too much considering that the 942 is has been pretty stable in the past one year. I do need my NFLHD though :confused:

srinivos said:
I had NFLHD for the entire 2005-06 season and it was on 9464, sat 110. So if it was a preview then it was a pretty long one! To move it to another satellite and make it inaccessible with a customers existing hardware is not acceptable.

Ever since my dish got stolen I have been thinking of upgrading but the extra few channels(voom, unihd etc.) weren't really worth it to me. Also, I paid $250 to lease the 942 & this additional $200(albeit with $100 rebate) for the 622 doesn't seem to be a fair proposition. Reading about all the freezing, rebooting issues has not enthused me too much considering that the 942 is has been pretty stable in the past one year. I do need my NFLHD though :confused:

That difference is that was NFLSD (although they sometimes showed HD events). The new channel is NFLHD. It's the same as adding HGTVHD. It's the new, HD, version of the channel and they have already said that all new HD channels will be MPEG4.

In other words, it's not the same channel.

BrianB said:
That difference is that was NFLSD (although they sometimes showed HD events). The new channel is NFLHD. It's the same as adding HGTVHD. It's the new, HD, version of the channel and they have already said that all new HD channels will be MPEG4.

In other words, it's not the same channel.
It's still 90% SD. There won't be any regular season live HD games until Thanksgiving.

The NFL-HD channel from last year was not a full time 24/7 channel. Like it was mentioned before, it only aired material twice a week for an hour at a time. In other words, it only had two hours of programming a week. It was easy for Dish to accomidate that on the 110 satellite.

But now that NFL-HD is a full time 24/7 channel, it required resources that dictated that it be placed along with the other HD channels on wing satellites.

Before it was just a part-time channel which time-shared a transponder with the NHL-HD, PPV-HD, and HDSE1 channels.

All of the repeats of these preseason games that I have seen have all been SD only. Geeze, this channel was launched way too early. They should have stayed with the "special events" model if they had this little HD programming to offer.

Maybe things will pick up once the season starts.

Cyclone said:
All of the repeats of these preseason games that I have seen have all been SD only. Geeze, this channel was launched way too early. They should have stayed with the "special events" model if they had this little HD programming to offer.

Maybe things will pick up once the season starts.
"all"? I haven't watched it much but the games I saw were all HD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts