NHK World intelsat 9

Status
Please reply by conversation.

toledo47

Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
quick question, do any of the NHK channels(hd or sd) on intelsat 9 have Japanese audio? or are all of them in english?
thankss

yes there is a secondary audio that is Japanese

Most receivers have a :"audio" or "language" button that allows you to select different audio PIDS

Last I checked there were 5 video channels that ID as ;
625 English
625 Japanese
1080/60i English
1080/60i Japanese
Premium (scrambled)

Interesting. Use to be 2 video channels (one SD one HD) with different audio tracks.
So now its 2 different channels...same video but different audio?

quick question, do any of the NHK channels(hd or sd) on intelsat 9 have Japanese audio? or are all of them in english?
thankss
Assume you mean the satellite at 58W, that's now Intelsat 21. NHK channels scan in as Japanese & English but presently all are playing the current program with English - no other choice of audio track. Unsure if this changes through the day or not.

I've never heard any Japanese programming (though a few words obviously) on the NHK channels on 58W. Every time I've looked, all 4 channels have had identical programming in English. One exception, I do remember seeing a show that taught Japanese, so both English and Japanese were spoken during that show. Everything else I've come across has had English on the channel that scans in as Japanese. Like FTA4PA says, no other choice of audio track.

A long time ago there use to be two analog video channels, one NTSC, and one PAL, but even then, they were both in English, iirc.

In my lifetime I've flown millions and millions of airmiles as a passenger. United used to put the Cockpit audio on one of the audio channels that was available in the main cabin. Listening to ATC, and or the Tower, you could tell that English was really a challenge for some Foreign Pilots.

Used to listen to the ATC channels on United and maybe Frontier, but I have noticed they don't have that anymore. I just bring my own receiver for the flight these days. Guess we like to know what's going on. Window seat also preferred so I can see where I am. Also I could never sleep on an airplane no matter how tired I am or comfortable the seats might be.

(back to topic)
I believe I have heard Japanese audio on one of the channels in the past, maybe a while back... Might have been the Premium channel, it becomes FTA occasionally if there is a major event (or disaster).

There are five radio stations from Radio Japan on subchannels.

Video is still separate PAL-625 and NTSC-525, although most people have receivers that are set up to default with NTSC output.

Two audio channels for each TV station, but little Japanese language in favor of what seems to be English language as the primary for NHK World TV.

(back to topic)
I believe I have heard Japanese audio on one of the channels in the past, maybe a while back... Might have been the Premium channel, it becomes FTA occasionally if there is a major event (or disaster).[/QUOTE]

NHK World Premium carries the Japanese-language programming. NHK World TV carries the English language.

The former is subscription based (in the US you cannot subscribe to that C-band feed but have to go through "TV Japan," which is a cable/satellite channel of mostly NHK programming with some from commercial networks) but there are several hours a day of news programming that are free to air through the C-band feed. It's labelled "???????" in the programming guide and consists of ???????????????????? and a few other shows.

Reactions: Cham and lost_mesa
As least I am lucky to get NHK world with CC since I am hard of hearing on the left and the right ear is total deaf. Price to pay being a Air Force brat, but thanks' to my dad for his services in the Nam!:)

NHK World reminds of my trips to Japan in the early 90's. One day I was in Shinjuku Station on my way to work. I heard some guy
yelling at me in English .... "Hey you ... I'm lost ... help me". I have Red Hair so it was obvious I wasn't Japanese :D. So, I waded through
the sea of people to reach him and told him how to navagate the Station :D. There was a map of the routes in English, but it was small
and tucked away in the corner of the station.

NHK's probably my favorite channel outside of the OTA world. Lots of interesting shows, and relatively unbiased news. It's also one of only 2 channels I have an epg for on my computer, so I can dvr it!

My brother-in-law is half Japanese and was hoping for the original NHK FTA before investing in a dish. So far he just has their app (NHK World) on in the background and really likes it. He may still want to try FTA so there's no delay in seeing new episodes.

Reactions: danristheman
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts