Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
This one kind of surprises me, the NHL is actually asking hockey fans to call DirecTV and complain about them not carrying the Versus Network.

Open letter to DirecTV fans - NHL.com - The National Hockey League

While Versus does carry the NHL, DirecTV has a lot more NHL then just versus, so I expected the NHL to be Neutral if not in DirecTV corner on this one.

So did the NHL draw up another letter urging hockey fans to write Comcast and complain about their new demands? :D

Comcast is owned by the same person that owns the Philadelphia Flyers. With that in mind, who's corner do you expect the NHL to be in?

Last edited:
While Versus does carry the NHL, DirecTV has a lot more NHL then just versus, so I expected the NHL to be Neutral if not in DirecTV corner on this one.
The interests of Versus and the NHL align on this one -- they want games in front of as many eyeballs as possible. (as long as the deal is right) Center Ice is too specific and costly for the casual fan, just as other casual sports fans will tune to ESPN instead of subbing to MLB:EI or NBA League Pass.

One other thought.. this is what the NHL gets for being on a substandard network.
Comcast / OLN offered $200 million to cover the games, ESPN offered no up-front cash and wanted a pure revenue sharing deal.

Everything needs a beginning.. when ESPN was emerging people said they could never compete with the major broadcast networks for coverage. For being a "substandard" and less popular network, there sure are a lot of people up in arms about it being removed.

Comcast is owned by the same person that owns the Philadelphia Flyers. With that in mind, who's corner you you expect the NHL to be in?
There is no MSG-HD on Center Ice, and the Dolans who own CableVision (which owns MSG) also own the NY Rangers. The NHL has no problem battling with them about distribution of the channel.

There is no MSG-HD on Center Ice, and the Dolans who own CableVision (which owns MSG) also own the NY Rangers. The NHL has no problem battling with them about distribution of the channel.

Thats totally different. MSG-HD is available to those of us in MSG's market. MSG games are also available on CI out of market (just not in HD). People who buy CI are going to do so with or without MSG-HD. Versus is the "national" carrier for the NHL. Its not there for the hardcore fan its to try to gain interest in the league. If D* puts Versus on a higher tier it cuts the potential exposure of the league.

Versus is the "national" carrier for the NHL. Its not there for the hardcore fan its to try to gain interest in the league. If D* puts Versus on a higher tier it cuts the potential exposure of the league.
Agreed. That's why the NHL is backing Versus. DirecTV has already publicly stated in their press releases that they want to get down to the same carrying percentage as Dish for Versus (approximately 35% of the customer base).

To back DirecTV would be to go against their fan base by allowing DirecTV to raise the costs associated with Versus and against their owners by further restricting the broadcast footprint of games.

What's surprising to me in all of this is that people still believe that DirecTV is acting benevolently in the interest of their subscribers.

Exactly.

I never thought I'd side with Comcast on anything but DTV is full of crap. They have no problem raising rates regularly but when it comes to saving a nickel per subscriber, they're in my corner.

And if they get their way Vs winds up in the other wise useless (to me) sports pack meaning my rates go up again to watch Vs.

Garry Bettman cracks me up. Of course the subscribers are going to complain to D*, He just wants us to do his work for him in order to get his games back on DirecTV. He don't care about us, just whatever makes the NHL $

Garry Bettman cracks me up. Of course the subscribers are going to complain to D*, He just wants us to do his work for him in order to get his games back on DirecTV. He don't care about us, just whatever makes the NHL $
The NHL has already made their money -- the broadcast contract with Versus is front-loaded, so the NHL already has their money and don't profit or lose (financially) in this dispute.

The NHL has already made their money -- the broadcast contract with Versus is front-loaded, so the NHL already has their money and don't profit or lose (financially) in this dispute.

But they will next year - ever heard the expression that it's impossible to ski on last year's snow?

This P-contest isn't about this year.

The NHL / Versus contract goes through the end of the 2010-2011 season, so they've got time to work this one out before it starts to affect the league directly.

The motivations here are pretty straight forward:

- The NHL wants to be seen by as many people as possible, while getting stable financial income from their broadcast partners
- Comcast wants to continue to expand the viewership of Versus to continue to get closer to ESPN
- DirecTV wants to improve their short-term financial situation so they can restructure their debt either through negotiations with Liberty Media or via acquisition.

This one kind of surprises me, the NHL is actually asking hockey fans to call DirecTV and complain about them not carrying the Versus Network.

Open letter to DirecTV fans - NHL.com - The National Hockey League

Scott, based on your post asking, "What's Wrong with DirecTV?" I think you've answered your own question. As someone else also mentioned, the NHL has a vested interest to remain neutral in this tift. I can only conclude the NHL has determined that DirecTV is mostly at fault based on them asking NHL fans to put the pressue on DirecTV. Still...it's a bit unusual.

The NHL / Versus contract goes through the end of the 2010-2011 season, so they've got time to work this one out before it starts to affect the league directly.

The motivations here are pretty straight forward:

- The NHL wants to be seen by as many people as possible, while getting stable financial income from their broadcast partners
- Comcast wants to continue to expand the viewership of Versus to continue to get closer to ESPN
- DirecTV wants to improve their short-term financial situation so they can restructure their debt either through negotiations with Liberty Media or via acquisition.

IF Comcast thinks that vs will turn into an ESPN clone, they better make it EASIER to get their channel and easier to find as well.
The must also start showing REAL sports, LIVE sports would be a good start.

They show the NHL and a little college football, thats about it.

vs is Single A ball vs ESPN , the Big league ...

vs is a LONG LONG way from being ESPN's equal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts