NHL Center Ice blackout vs NHL Gamecenter blackout criteria

GoalieEd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 7, 2008
Could someone explain the different blackout rules? I'm in Lawton, Oklahoma, 73505 and while I'm blacked out of dallas vs Minnesota tonight on NHL gamecenter I am able to watch the channel on Dish NHL Center Ice.

Theoretically the blackout areas should be the same for GameCenter and Center Ice. GameCenter and MLB.tv use your IP address to figure out your location each time you use them. They don't use the billing or service address you used when you created the accounts. This means if you are a Red Wings fan living in Detroit GameCenter will be blacked out but if you go on a vacation to Florida The Red Wings will be available on GameCenter without you changing any account information.

Sometimes these IP checks aren't completely accurate. My office and house are both in Fenton Michigan but MLB.tv's blackout checker shows me in Southfield Michigan when I am at work using AT&T DSL. It correctly shows me in Fenton Michigan at home using Charter cable internet. MLB.tv doesn't blackout Tigers games at my office even though it should because the IP location isn't accurate.

Your ISP could be incorrectly showing you in the wrong location causing the blackout.

Yeah ^^ This.. It becomes even more problematic when you are close to a "blackout border".. There are several site you can go to which will tell you what your IP's geolocation is being reported as.

Sometimes it is the nearest backbone data center, sometimes it is your ISP's headquarters location, sometimes it's 200 miles away for no apparent reason.

www.iplocation.net

MLB.tv has a customer support number you can call if you feel you are being blacked out when you shouldn't. I would try GameCenter customer support and see if there is anything they can do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)