NHL Center Ice free preview question

Malgus Somtaaw

Original poster
Apr 11, 2023
USA
Dish is doing a free preview of NHL Center Ice this week and I have been watching a bunch of games. But I was unable to watch a couple of games because it asked me to "rent" them. Is this normal?, is dish messing something up?, Or does it have something to do with one or both teams being Canadian?. The free preview ends tomorrow so it is not that big of deal, but I would like to know.

Dish is doing a free preview of NHL Center Ice this week and I have been watching a bunch of games. But I was unable to watch a couple of games because it asked me to "rent" them. Is this normal?, is dish messing something up?, Or does it have something to do with one or both teams being Canadian?. The free preview ends tomorrow so it is not that big of deal, but I would like to know.

I noticed the same thing. Some games wanted my PIN (to rent), but most just worked. Not sure why. I watched one of the unavailable games on ESPN+ instead. The NHL must have one of the most convoluted TV distribution setups in history. Some games are on ESPN+, some are on regional TV or local stream only, some are on regular ESPN, some are on TNT or TBS, and some are on the NHL channel.

NHLN’s games are non-exclusive, so RSNs of the teams also pick the game up and cause a blackout in the markets of those teams, meaning it can only be viewed on the RSN in those areas.
Games that are on NHLN are generally not available on ESPN+. Example, the Leafs/Sharks Hockey Night In Canada game yesterday was NHLN only (no ESPN+) except in the Sharks market where it was on their RSN.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
When it asks you to rent...does it say that there's an actual fee? Or is the 'rental' at no charge? I see a lot of On demand stuff that says something similar...

Reactions: charlesrshell