NHL Center Ice

Status
Please reply by conversation.
djsmokyc said:
Jimbo,

If you are planning on adding the Sports Pack for $12/mo to get the Detroit RSN and use that to watch Red Wing games, it probably won't work.

I'm guessing you're not in the Detroit market, otherwise you'd be getting the Detroit RSN with your Total Choice package.

Games that are on RSNs other than your local one are blacked out if they are part of a subscription package such as Center Ice.

So, if you don't live in the Detroit RSN market, you'll have to get Center Ice to watch most Red Wings games. The sports pack feeds will be blacked out.

Sorry to ruin your plan.

That's good info. Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

That is the crapper with ESPN not carrying the games this year, it looks like the NHL CI package will be the ONLY way to catch the marquee match-ups. I will be anxious to see what HDNet plans to broadcast, but my AVS games will still be blacked out I am sure.

slacker9876 said:
That is the crapper with ESPN not carrying the games this year, it looks like the NHL CI package will be the ONLY way to catch the marquee match-ups. I will be anxious to see what HDNet plans to broadcast, but my AVS games will still be blacked out I am sure.

The NHL will be on ESPN this year. They are working out a deal right now. ESPN has acted like they weren't interested to force the NHL to get other smaller offers, so that they would have a starting point for a much lower price in negotiations.

SAEMike said:
The NHL will be on ESPN this year. They are working out a deal right now. ESPN has acted like they weren't interested to force the NHL to get other smaller offers, so that they would have a starting point for a much lower price in negotiations.

I would have a hard time believing that they wouldn't have some sort of national deal before the 1st puck drops. They need more than just regional coverage.... I am sure they don't want the Stanley Cup finals on OLN....

Chado said:
I would have a hard time believing that they wouldn't have some sort of national deal before the 1st puck drops. They need more than just regional coverage.... I am sure they don't want the Stanley Cup finals on OLN....

The deal for the playoffs and Stanley Cup are already in place. It was only the regular season that was dropped.

djsmokyc,
Don't feel bad, you did not ruin my plans.
I am acually about 50 ft from Red Wing territory,
The end of the street is michigan ....

You didn't ruin my plans because ALL the Red Wings games WILL be sold out as usual, so there will not be any blackouts to worry about.

Up here Red Wing Hockey is KING !!!!

I have tried to get D* to accept the fact that I am 50 miles from Detroit (Fox Sports Detroit) and 300 miles from Columbus (Fox sports OHIO) .
They tell me I can only get OHIO ........ I just roll my eyes and pray they will wake up.
BTW, because I am so close, they also screw me out of being able to see the LIONS on ST.

Any thoughts , anyone,,,,
I would love to get FSD as my RSN.
Originally someone told me I would get all 3 stations, but that has since changed.

I believe ESPN will pick up the NHL, and expect to see Dallas Stars games on HDNET

Jimbo

You didn't ruin my plans because ALL the Red Wings games WILL be sold out as usual, so there will not be any blackouts to worry about.

It doesn't matter if the actual game is sold out. If the RSN is not your RSN, the game will be blacked out. You have to get the Center Ice package to view it.

dewd said:
It doesn't matter if the actual game is sold out. If the RSN is not your RSN, the game will be blacked out. You have to get the Center Ice package to view it.

If I order the RSN package, I would get all the RSN's and have Blackouts on ones that are not sold out ..... Kinda usless !, it would be like paying $12 p/m for just the Red Wings . I think I have it figured out.

I spoke with D* tonight about other things they screwed me out of $100 credit they said they were going to give me. they said the rebate was only for the DVR's ...
They said if I kept the premium package they would credit me $ 20 p/m, I have no desire to have the Movie Channels... She said how about the RSN's package with a $10 discount, so basically for $ 2.99 p/m so I said OK.
So now I can watch my Wings for $ 2.99 p/m.
Unless I can get lucky and find some tickets .
I usually make 3-4 games a year, hockey is awesome LIVE :bow :hatsoff:

Jimbo

Maybe there's a communication gap here, but if you don't live in the home region that receives FSD as your primary RSN, you won't see the Red Wings or any other out-of-market game, regardless of whether the game is sold out. NHLCI is the subscription service that allows you to see all out-of-market games. Buying just the RSNs will get you the pre- and post game shows, but that's it. While the game is on, you'll get a black screen that says simply "Program not available in your area."

You say you get FSOhio, so the only non-NHLCI games you'll get are the Blue Jacket games.

nhlfan79 said:
Maybe there's a communication gap here, but if you don't live in the home region that receives FSD as your primary RSN, you won't see the Red Wings or any other out-of-market game, regardless of whether the game is sold out. NHLCI is the subscription service that allows you to see all out-of-market games. Buying just the RSNs will get you the pre- and post game shows, but that's it. While the game is on, you'll get a black screen that says simply "Program not available in your area."

You say you get FSOhio, so the only non-NHLCI games you'll get are the Blue Jacket games.

I am not sure what I have figured out now, I thought that if I purchased the RSN you got all the RSN's ....
You would have thought the CSR that I talked to tonight would have said that, if thats the case, she did seem knowledgeable,

She gave me $10 p/m for 6 months for the RSN's, if thats the case maybe she will put the $60 towards the CI package, I hope.
I told her exactly what I wanted to do to.

Doesn't thier advertizing say "get all" ??

Here it is from thier page:

SPORTS PACK

Whatever sport is your passion, you can catch your fill of action and adventure with our SPORTS PACK premium service.

You can include SPORTS PACK with your TOTAL CHOICE® or TOTAL CHOICE® PLUS base package. You'll get over 25 specialty and regional sports networks in all. Check out the lineup below.

Add SPORTS PACK to your DIRECTV base package.
Here's the complete SPORTS PACK lineup:

SPECIALTY SPORTS NETWORKS REGIONAL SPORTS NETWORKS

Altitude Sports & Entertainment
Comcast SportsNet (Chicago)
Comcast SportsNet (Mid-Atlantic)
Comcast SportsNet (West)
FSN ARIZONA
FSN BAY AREA
FSN CINCINNATI
FSN DETROIT
FSN FLORIDA
FSN MIDWEST
FSN NEW ENGLAND
FSN NEW YORK
FSN NORTH
FSN NORTHWEST
FSN OHIO
FSN PITTSBURGH
FSN ROCKY MOUNTAIN
FSN SOUTH
FSN SOUTHWEST
FSN WEST
FSN WEST 2
Madison Square Garden (MSG)
New England Sports Network
Sun Sports
YES Network

Blackout restrictions apply. Professional and collegiate sports subscriptions sold separately.

Programming and pricing subject to change.

To wager, you must be 21 years old and reside in a state where TVG wagering services are available. Not intended where prohibited. ©2005 TVG

| | |

So is this the was it looks to me , that you do get them all, provided it's not blacked out, or do I get everything but the game ?
I know there was a post awhile back talking about the Sports pack being a waste, but in some cases it works well.
Well see.

What is your take on this ?
If i am wrong, I'm wrong, no big deal, i'll have to work some sort of deal out to get the Wings, one way of another.
The local cable company gives FSO, FS Cincy as well as FSD, usually Ohio and Cincy show the same stuff, except for when the Iniands and Reds are both playing ....

Jimbo

So is this the was it looks to me , that you do get them all, provided it's not blacked out, or do I get everything but the game ?

Yes, you get all those channels, but when MLB, NHL, NBA, or NCAA games are on, they are blacked out. Only ones not blacked out are the ones in your local area. Only way to watch out of market games is to buy the package (Center Ice).

SAEMike said:
The deal for the playoffs and Stanley Cup are already in place. It was only the regular season that was dropped.

Incorrect.

NBC will televise Games 3 to 7 of NHL Stanley Cup and handful of playoff games only.

Whatever cable partner will show the rest (well more of the rest).

Jimbos, hear me on this.

I live in Columbus. I am a Sharks fan. You and I both get FSNOH as part of our TC+ package. If I subscribe to sports pack I can see "Sharkbyte", the Sharks pregame show. But if the Sharks are shown on Center Ice I cannot see the game, it is blacked out. The only reason to spend $12 a month for sportspak is for college football games and hockey replays.

You and I are in the exact same boat, we both live in Ohio. Without Center Ice I cannot watch the Sharks and you cannot watch the Red Wings, unless they are playing the blow jobs and broadcast on FSNOH.

projectorsrule,
Well, that S*cks.
I think I will talk to them and see what they say, maybe they will transfer my credit to the CI package.

Just curious, being in Columbus, what College football are games are you watching on FSNOH ?

The Buckeye's are always on ABC (6, I trink), and or ESPN.

Go Buckeye's :hatsoff:

It would be awesome if ABC and ESPN decided to do College in HD.

Jimbo

last week when i've flipped thru the rsn channels, i caught the reds/brewers game live on FS Ohio.. that was nice of them.. also what is weird was couldnt watch a replay of the mets game on fsny/msg and just flipping thru to YES, Yankeeography was blacked out..

bosstone said:
last week when i've flipped thru the rsn channels, i caught the reds/brewers game live on FS Ohio.. that was nice of them.. also what is weird was couldnt watch a replay of the mets game on fsny/msg and just flipping thru to YES, Yankeeography was blacked out..

ALL pro sports are balcked out on the RSN's unless its your home RSN (FS North for me as an example)

There is a "blackout" time..usually 3 hours for baseball & hockey and 2 1/2 hours for basketball. Once that time is up, the blackout is lifted

So as an example…
The Cubs are on CCSN scheduled form 7-10. This is blacked out for me as I am in MN.
It’s a slugfest, rain delay, whatever….and its after 10:00….blackout lifted

Preshows and postshows are usually shown (unless the postshow starts before the blackout is lifted)

YES blocks almost everything out

The Reds on FSN Cinci MAY be available because Cinci may have claimed the area.

But the only way to see the Wings would be either be in the FSD as your local RSN or NHLCI.

Last season HDNET did a couple of Blue JAcket games, THEY WERE BLACKED OUT until the replay on HDNET 3 hours later. The goobers that do the BlueJackets on FSN in SD or wait 3 hours and watch it on HDNET. I waited.

Want to know how bad FSN OH coverage of hockey is? At Nationwide arena last season there was a huge banner for FSNOH that said, you'd better make sure there is a clear path to a toilet....... "I tuned into a hockey game and intelligent banter broke out."

PUKE!

Done Deal, ESPN pulls out.

ESPN decides not to match Comcast's offer
By Darren Rovell
ESPN.com

The NHL will have a new television home next fall.

ESPN, which has had a stake in NHL broadcasts since the 1992-93 season, informed the league on Wednesday that it would not match the offer put forth by Comcast.

"Tonight, we informed the NHL that we did not accept their final contract offer," ESPN and ABC Sports president George Bodenheimer said in a statement. "We worked very hard to build and sustain our relationship with the league and would have liked to continue. However, given the prolonged work stoppage and the league's TV ratings history, no financial model even remotely supports the contract terms offered."

In the 2003-04 season, NHL games on ESPN drew an audience in 416,000 homes and games on ESPN2 were watched in 209,000 homes.

In May, ESPN informed the league that it would not pick up the $60 million option it had to broadcast the league's games for another season. After the league and the players' association settled on the terms of a new collective bargaining agreement in mid-July, Comcast, the nation's largest cable television provider, became the most interested in picking up the NHL's broadcasts. Comcast offered a three-year deal worth more than $200 million, and ESPN officials were brought back to the table. They had until Wednesday to once again decide if it was in the network's best interest.

Comcast, which owns four regional sports networks as well as a majority share in the Philadelphia 76ers and Flyers, is expected to put its NHL games on OLN. An OLN spokesperson did not immediately return calls seeking comment.

Over the past year, the channel has endured a major shift. The network's name is now what was once its acronym. The Outdoor Life Network is no longer and its motto is now, "We've Got A New Attitude." The hunting and fishing the network was founded on a decade ago is now mostly replaced with events ranging from the Tour de France and America's Cup to the All-Star BBQ Showdown. One of OLN's greatest assets is the 10 seasons of "Survivor" re-runs it purchased from CBS for a reported $10 million.

The deal appears to be a winning proposition for all the parties involved.

Despite a season-long work stoppage, the NHL will still collect a good deal of money on the sale of its broadcast rights. That's an amazing achievement, given that the league agreed to a revenue-sharing deal with NBC before the lockout that came free of any rights fee.

Since NHL programming is going to be OLN's most important asset, Comcast officials could be willing to spend more money to capitalize on the relationship. For the networks that have had hockey, including Fox and ESPN, investing in growing the hockey audience simply didn't pay off when considering how much more they had invested in other sports programming.

Comcast might also have additional motivation to spend -- to prove to leagues that it is willing to be great partners if leagues should seek to use OLN to build a sports network from scratch. Last year, Comcast offered an unsolicited bid of $66 billion to buy the Walt Disney Co., which owns ESPN. The offer was rejected by the Disney board.

"It seems clear that OLN is setting itself up as a competitor to ESPN," said Bodenheimer. "We welcome it. It will make us better."

The potential audience is smaller. ESPN is in 90 million homes and ESPN2 is in 89 million homes. OLN is in 63 million households, a 75 percent increase from the number of households the network was in four years ago. That makes it easier for hockey fans to find the channel and, if they don't have it, they might be willing to pay for it.

"With the NHL deal, OLN is now further away from being that niche channel for serious sports recreation enthusiasts and moves closer to the sports fan who is enthusiastic about sitting on his couch watching the sport he loves," said David Carter, principal of The Sports Business Group, a sports consultancy firm.

A year without hockey proved to ESPN executives that picking up the option or matching Comcast's offer didn't make much financial sense, even at half the price it paid when the deal started in 1999. In the NHL's place, ESPN filled the air with original programming, like "Bowling Night" and "Stump The Schwab." Programs like these drew ratings that were at least comparable to the number of people watching NHL games.

Darren Rovell, who covers sports business for ESPN.com, can be reached at Darren.rovell@espn3.com.

I love this quote.

"In the NHL's place, ESPN filled the air with original programming, like "Bowling Night" and "Stump The Schwab." Programs like these drew ratings that were at least comparable to the number of people watching NHL games."

Makes you just want to go out and sign a $200 million deal with NHL after a strike year!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)