NHL Centre Ice Dilemma

ken0042

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 8, 2004
OK, hopefully you guys can help me decide on what to do. The NHL season is right around the corner. As most of you know, the NHL-CI package blacks out you local team's games, giving you all the out of market games. At home I am running both Bell Expressvu as well as Dish Network.

I was originally planning on subscribing to the NHL-CI package on Dish, which would give me all the Flames games. The market where my Dish account is based out of; I don't have any strong ties to that team, so it doesn't matter to me losing those games.

However the one thing that just occured to me, on Dish I only have the 311 receiver (same unit as Bell's 3100) whereas with Expressvu I have both the 5900 as well as the 6100 receivers. (same units as Dish's 510 and 811.) This means if I get NHL-CI on Bell, I'll get any HD games they offer, plus I'll be able to use my PVR for the SD games.

Now, add to all of this that I am a Flames season ticket holder, so I'll probably get to see most of the blacked out games live. Then add the fact that I am a Coyotes fan and the Flames are my number 2 team, so either option will give me the same number of Coyotes games.

I appreciate any help you guys can offer to help me make up my mind.

Cool thing about NHL CI on Dishnet in the past was that they had both teams feeds up ... you could choose either one.

What to do? Cheer for Oilers.

I forgot about that part (that if there is 2 feeds they use both)

Since you can PVR them, I would go the ExpressVu route.

Some more food for thought here:

- Got an email from Roger's Sporsnet. They are planning on carrying only 30 Flames games this season.
- Pricing is now out. Dish is $129 US and Bell is $179 CND. Assuming 20% exchange rate that makes Dish about $25 cheaper to give me more games.

Maybe I should just grab myself a 510 and get it over with. :D

It seems that the NHL needs to win back more fans in the US than Canada. Hard to believe Direc/Dish is cheaper on Center Ice.

Well, I solved my dilema. Found a mistake on Bell's website:
"http://www.bell.ca/shop/PrsShpTvPPV_SportsDetail.page?PackageId=LNH®%20Centre%20Ice®" (enter the address without the quotes.)

It is in French, but the meat of it says $100 until September 23rd.

Since you guys have subscribed to sports packages before maybe you can help a newbie out. I just got a used Dish 510. Under "Past and Pending Purchases" are two entries:
109.00 NHL (AUTO)
139.00 NHL CI PKG
Are these balance due amounts I would have to pay after activation or are they just an automatic renewal that I can cancel ? Dish customer support wasn't sure. The receiver was last used in April 05.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)