NHL is back, what about Center Ice?

gdodd12

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Now that the NHL is coming back, I was curious if Dish will auto enroll us Center Ice people as if the season had normally started? Maybe a Dish rep that browses these forums can let me know.

Thanks

Not sure how that might work though hopefully they offer it free or a discount price Would be more of a NHL descion then Dish, though would be great if they offered it free across the board to all the providers

though would be great if they offered it free across the board to all the providers

yes it would be great, but doubt it would happen.

don't know about you guys, but this lockout has left a bad taste in my mouth......still love my Red Wings, but........

Not sure how that might work though hopefully they offer it free or a discount price Would be more of a NHL descion then Dish, though would be great if they offered it free across the board to all the providers

My understanding is that CI is part owned by InDemand, so they would have to agree. The word I am hearing is that if anything is going to be free it's the ONline GameCenter which is solely owned by the NHL.

My understanding is that CI is part owned by InDemand, so they would have to agree. The word I am hearing is that if anything is going to be free it's the ONline GameCenter which is solely owned by the NHL.

That is lame when compared to the ci package.

The league has some major fan butt kissing to do as a result if this lockout. The momentum they gained in recent years was lost. Making arrangements to allow the center ice package available for free or a very low cost would be a step in the right direction.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys sweet app.

Yeah that would be up to the league, and it would have to be with ALL providers in North America, and unlikely to happen, there maybe the first 2 weeks of the season for free, just to get people's interest back in it, again this speculation on my part, but given the fact there's going to be a lot of teams that will have lost alot of fans and revenue because of the lockout the league and teams are going to need as much $$$ as possible. Including InDemand so I would probably guess-timate that maybe the first week or two would be in Free Preview mode, like with a pre-season, then again there maybe nothing for Free. But I doubt very much they would give the rest of the season away for free. Especially when they can't recover the losses already incurred on lost games.

That is lame when compared to the ci package.

The league has some major fan butt kissing to do as a result if this lockout. The momentum they gained in recent years was lost. Making arrangements to allow the center ice package available for free or a very low cost would be a step in the right direction.

What I am telling you is that it isn't up the the NHL. They aren't the sole owners of CI.

What I am telling you is that it isn't up the the NHL. They aren't the sole owners of CI.

I get that, that's why I said make arrangements.

Matt, thanks for checking in.

and getting rid of Bettman would be another step in the right direction...Go Caps!

Years ago someone mentioned to me that Bettman (who came from the NBA) was a plant for David Stern to ruin the NHL. I thought it was a crazy conspiricy theory. But now I'm not so sure.

I think it'd be crazy to give it away for free. But then again, nearly cancelling another season seemed quite crazy too!

I agree that the NHL owes their fans a lot and there is a good argument for the NHL to "make it happen" with InDemand. Of course, on Dish, aren't the games all in SD or has that improved?

I think it'd be crazy to give it away for free. But then again, nearly cancelling another season seemed quite crazy too!

I agree that the NHL owes their fans a lot and there is a good argument for the NHL to "make it happen" with InDemand. Of course, on Dish, aren't the games all in SD or has that improved?

They aren't all in SD. As long as Dish has the RSN in HD (most of them) the game should be in HD on CI. We still don't have full time HD RSNs which sucks but Dish has increased the amount of slots they allocate to HD RSN games. For the last year or more it has been very rare to find a game that wasn't available in HD. Last season there were only two Detroit Tigers games that weren't in HD and they were both make up games because of rain outs.

I don't follow the Red Wings as close as the Tigers but I do watch them often and in my experience you can pretty much expect it to be HD. Now, if you are a fan of a Canadian team you might have a little more trouble.

Last edited:
Any word on MSG (or other NY area RSN) HD ever coming to Dish? I am a flyers fan so I only get the comcast HD feed when NHL Network shows it and they play the Islanders, Rangers, and devs a lot, so I am constantly watching SD.

Thanks. Hopefully it isn't set to auto-enroll because I am thinking of switching to GameCenter on my PS3.

I think they generally do set it to auto-enroll with these sports packs. I would call in immediately and cancel until you decide which service to use. I can tell you that if NHL GameCenter is close to MLB.tv's quality and it is cheaper than CI I would give it a try. I've never had CI or GameCenter but I am an avid MLB.tv user. If it is anything like MLB.tv you will get both the home and away feeds of every game in HD plus use on the go with a smartphone or tablet. This includes the Canadian, NY, and OTA feeds that Dish and Directv don't offer in HD.

If you are a Flyers fan and you live outside the Philadelphia market I would definitely get GameCenter over CI. That would give you the Flyers home feed in HD that you can't get from Dish. Unfortunately they do blackouts based on IP address so if you are in the Philadelphia market those games will be blacked out even with GameCenter. I can't watch my Detroit Tigers games on MLB.tv although that is not why I sign up for that package.

The NHL is back and DISH Season Ticket will be carrying the NHL Center Ice package this season. Dates and pricing are still being discussed, but once they are finalized dish.com will be updated. I would follow up at mydish.com and check periodically because once everything is finalized this page will be updated to reflect.

http://www.mydish.com/pay-per-view/sports-and-events/hockey/

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01...boomer-says-nhl-has-fences-to-mend-with-fans/

This article has quotes from Boomer Esiason's podcast. He had Gary Bettman on as a guest and gave him a hard time about the lockout. Here is a quote about CI and GameCenter.

“We have a lot of reconnecting to do,” he said. “We have some fences to mend and bridges to mend, and we’re going to work very hard to re-earn the trust of our fans — even the more casual, newer fans. And we’re going to work very hard to do that. One of the reasons Boomer’s so mad at me is he represents the great passion that hockey fans have, and we all missed our game terribly. Listen, we’re about to have an amazing shortened season.”
Bettman said there’s a “variety of things” in the works to welcome back the hockey faithful, “most of which are on a club-by-club basis.”
The league is also “in the process” of working out a discount for NHL Center Ice, the cable-satellite subscription package which broadcasts all games, and streaming service NHL GameCenter LIVE.
Esiason wanted to see those offered for free. Bettman called it “a good thought.”
But?
“We have partners in that business, so we don’t have the luxury of just giving it away,” he said. “What we’re trying to do is get it to a place where we think it’s certainly a very good offer, but it’s something that the business partners … can live with.”

As others have said, it won't be free. People on the Directv forum are saying Directv has confirmed that CI will be $60 so you can expect the same from Dish. I wonder what the GameCenter pricing will be. As far as I know it hasn't been announced yet. I'm not usually a big enough hockey fan to follow teams outside the Red Wings and the occasional national game but if GameCenter comes in at $50 or below I would consider it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts