NHL Reaches Deal!!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
About damn time

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=130274

NHL, NHLPA reach tentative deal

TSN.ca Staff

7/13/2005 12:38:41 PM

And now for the words everyone has been waiting to hear: The deal is done!

The NHL and NHL Players' Association have finally reached an agreement (pending ratification) on a new six-year collective bargaining agreement that - if approved by the NHL board of governors next Thursday and the rank and file membership of the NHLPA next Tuesday - will officially end the stalemate on July 21.

The agreement, a complex document reportedly numbering more than 600 pages, came after the two sides staged marathon negotiating sessions for nine consecutive days. Since the 2004-05 NHL season was officially cancelled on Feb. 16, the league and union have met on 82 occasions, leading to an agreement that will revamp the way the entire professional hockey industry conducts its business.

The league went into this lockout, which started on Sept. 15, 2004, seeking cost certainty and believes it has achieved that with a new economic system from top to bottom.

It is expected both the NHL and NHLPA will move to ratify the agreement within the next seven days, with a formal announcement on July 21. During that time, it is expected the new CBA will be distributed to all in the hockey industry so they can begin getting themselves up to speed on a myriad of new rules and regulations

you can read the rest at the link at the top

While the regular season will remain at 82 games long for each team, the format of that schedule may be altered, along with a potential expansion of the NHL playoffs from 16 to 20 teams.
Aaacckk! The playoffs are watered down enough already. If anything, the playoffs should be reduced to 12 teams at most, no t expanded.

My guess is that all of the teams will come back from the lockout however, we will probably see some teams folding in the near future.

It will be interesting to see if the NHL will be able to retain fans interest in the US. They need a good TV deal badly. I believe that they have a network deal with NBC which doesn't pay much and recently ESPN cut ties with them.

They need to offer their NHL Center Ice deal for free for the first year if you ask me.

God I can't stand Don Cherry, but I am American. Barry Melrose wears suits that are hard enough to swallow and ESPN needs to quit trying to make him look like Barbie. I cannot say how happy I am that a deal has been reached, it will be nice to see the Stanley Cup back in Colorado come June of 2006.

As far as "free" center ice package is concerned. This is almost a MUST to resurect the fan base that was damaged. If 80% of all games we in High Def, I'd be happy to pay 50.00 for it.

I sure hope that the Todd Bertuzzi suspension will last through the 2005-2006 season, it is the LEAST that he deserves.

I have said my peace, fire at will :rolleyes:

slacker9876 said:
God I can't stand Don Cherry, but I am American.
American here...but I like him....most of what he speaks is truth :)
Barry Melrose wears suits that are hard enough to swallow and ESPN needs to quit trying to make him look like Barbie. I cannot say how happy I am that a deal has been reached, it will be nice to see the Stanley Cup back in Colorado come June of 2006.
Melrose is a loser....but thats my opinion :)
As far as "free" center ice package is concerned. This is almost a MUST to resurect the fan base that was damaged. If 80% of all games we in High Def, I'd be happy to pay 50.00 for it.
I hope it is free too
I sure hope that the Todd Bertuzzi suspension will last through the 2005-2006 season, it is the LEAST that he deserves.

I have said my peace, fire at will :rolleyes:
bring back Bertuzzi....he's done his time.

Iceberg said:
bring back Bertuzzi....he's done his time.
His time will be done when Steve Moore's time is done ... that is the most ethically simplistic way to deal with it. It was an intentional injury and he announced to the V B.C. media he was goign to do it before he did.

korsjs said:
i wonder if any network will pick it up in america.

HDnet was doing a fine job broadcasting the NHL in my opinion. Although their market is more limited I'd like to see them broadcasting some games again.

I am glad to hear they finally reached a deal. The NHL is my 2nd favorite league so this will be great. 20 team playoffs might be a little much but if it generates a little more excitment with fans than I am all for it.

this time for real now? because the headline still has a magic word in there ;)

NHL, NHLPA reach tentative deal

Well, at least I'll have something else to watch when football season's over. Although I think having 20 teams in the playoffs is a stupid idea.

I'm looking foward to hockey returning. I'm a huge college hockey fan. (GO SEAWOLVES!) I hope that the NHL now adopts some new rules that will limit fights and eliminate the two line pass rule. Both of these things will make the sport more attractive to the casual fan, and make watching hockey on TV at little bit better.

Nov 18th & 19 the mighty Bulldogs will be in Alaska : )

Yeah yeah yeah…I know
UMD 0-3-1 against Alaska….

One of life’s mysteries with UMD. They go 2-2 against UND & UMD but 0-3-1 against Alaska (and 2-2 against Michigan Tech)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts