NHL uses Dish DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Spatch

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Northeast, PA
I was watching a hockey game the other day and they had a video about the "war room" (video replay judges). It looked like they use Dish Network DVRs to replay the video to make the calls.

That'd be stupid, I would think. Sure they'll get the Dish feed but it'd be delayed and NOWHERE near as good as other DVR equipment out there, especially the feed from the production rooms. More than likely they're using a DVR with a jog/shuttle wheel so they can do precise tracks

All the replay judging for all the games is done in Toronto. Not at the arena. So it makes sense that they would use something like dish to call the plays. I can tell you that we don't send a feed to toronto every game.

Fran

All the replay judging for all the games is done in Toronto. Not at the arena. So it makes sense that they would use something like dish to call the plays. I can tell you that we don't send a feed to toronto every game.

Fran

Not true. Every game will have a reply official at the arena. When they are going through a replay sometimes they'll show the judges up in the suite looking at the tape. They'll call Toronto when they aren't quite positive on which way the call should go.

Not true. Every game will have a reply official at the arena. When they are going through a replay sometimes they'll show the judges up in the suite looking at the tape. They'll call Toronto when they aren't quite positive on which way the call should go.

Not True. That is the way it was done in the past. From the video segment I saw in two different games they showed all of the judgements of replays are done in Toronto at the "War Room". I am not only getting that from that but also I have heard it said in many games. It makes for unbiased call.
The video feeds they were watching the had the Dish Network pause bar on the screen, They also were using Dish Network remotes. Maybe that is only one of the views they use but it was definitely a Dish DVR.

Here is a clip from a news article about a bad call notice the line where they state they are at the mercy of the broadcaster.

In the third period, CBC's "Hockey Night in Canada," which was televising the game, blew up an overhead angle that showed the puck clearly over the goal line.

"It's inexcusable, really," Wild left winger Brian Rolston said.

There are imperfections with the NHL's video review system. Saturday, a number of them united to sabotage the Wild.

First, while the in-arena video goal judge has access to overhead views of both nets, the Toronto "war room" does not. It's at the mercy of the TV broadcast showing the overhead.

"That's why we waited so long to make a decision," NHL Senior Vice President Colin Campbell told the Star Tribune. "We were waiting and waiting [in Toronto] for CBC to show the overhead."

Last edited:
Just another example of how the NHL doesn't have a clue as to what they are doing. From Video replays being done in Toronto using Dish network, to a schedule where Long-time rivals and original six teams like the Blackhawks and Maple Leafs play each other only once a year, the NHL is ruing their business.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)