Nice Article on Luken Communications

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Aside from the known popularity of a large percentage of the programing, the sluggish economy has made free satellite-fed options a bit more appealing than paid cable service. Luken, the telecom wizard himself, thinks everybody will soon be doing the math.
Reading between the lines here sounds like a Ku service may be on the horizon as a BUD isn't protected by OTARD. Than again, getting nationwide rights to programming may be a problem. Think it may be impossible for a lot of programs. The only way, with the present system of selling the rights to programming for specific regions/markets, is to scramble and have regional market subs. For it to fly, I think he's going to have to change the landscape of programming rights, or it will be a subscription service so that "the man" can dictate, via the almighty dollar, what is available to whom.

I hope you're right, FaT Air, about a Ku service on the horizon. I wish we could have a mix of free and pay, so I could vote with my wallet and not be required by a multichannel subscription to support Oprah or Al Gore (or their opposites, don't mean to pick on them) if I don't want to, nor pay for the Poodle Clipping Channel franchise and other dross.

Reading between the lines here sounds like a Ku service may be on the horizon as a BUD isn't protected by OTARD. Than again, getting nationwide rights to programming may be a problem. Think it may be impossible for a lot of programs. The only way, with the present system of selling the rights to programming for specific regions/markets, is to scramble and have regional market subs. For it to fly, I think he's going to have to change the landscape of programming rights, or it will be a subscription service so that "the man" can dictate, via the almighty dollar, what is available to whom.

It sure would be great to live in a totally free (FTA) country and where the dollar is not the dictator!

I hope that whatever sat they choose include a good footprint to the Carribean!!!!! Yes........................

Having talked to the man, I can say he has a plan and I think its going to be VERY exciting for us FTA guys. :D

Stay Tuned!

rtv on 83w has been around for a while.
What I miss is the old east/west feeds like rtn had on 123w.
So if you missed a program you could catch it again 3 hours later.

Since there are so many problems with the S2 signal at 87W, the idea is to test them in the 137W as regular DVD-S. Once they pass the test they're planning to move them to 87W, All of them as regular DVB-S.

I wonder where the "300" channels are. I know of about 125 they are doing (unless they heavily use fiber to distribute another 175 to stations). I can believe they have 300 affiliates but not that many channels and that most of them do not use the custom configuration but rather than East/West "national" type feeds. I believe my station here uses one of the national feeds and just overlays a local bug with their call letters. I do find it interesting they monitor their feeds on all those flat screen tv's. I would have thought they did it on one computer screen (with thumbnails for each video service).

I never realized they were so close to me. I can be at the studio in about an hour and a half to two hours. 127 is as far west I can go now, so I can't wait till they drop the -s2 on 87W. I also wish they would add at least PBJ to 83W Ku for the kids, until I can get 87W C.

Since I physically moved my dish slightly west and the leaves are falling, I get the easier of the two muxes on 87W and I'm getting the stuff on 137W now too. I can go to 139W if need be....Blind

You would think it would make sense for WHDT to be on 87 since it is in the Miami or WPB market. Looks like 87 would be a much better LOS for South Florida.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts