Nightly reboots: Why they must go...

Slightly off-topic, but it seems like a lot of people around here use EHDs. Is that just because you have tons and tons of recordings? Or is there some other benefit I'm not thinking of?

I use the EHDs to archive movies from movie channels that I or someone else in the household may want to watch at a later time.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Rebooting as a "fix all" is a lazy approach. The correct method involves analyzing the system (Hopper is a special purpose computer) and determining what items are causing the slow downs, then correcting them.

Slow downs are symptoms of other underlying problems that need to be addressed.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Oh I completely agree that it is the lazy way to fix it.

The thing to also look at is this, what is Dish's business model and what do they provide? They are a programming (TV) provider. Yes they have to have programmers to write the code so their service will work, but again, their main business is a TV provider, they just have to have software developers to do it, so I bet they don't provide the "proper" amount of resources to this as say Microsoft because Microsoft's business model is software.

Still not saying that they are not doing it the right way to actually fix the underlying problem that requires the reboot, just trying to play devils advocate.

SW is a lot better than it was years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

This whole thread basically consists of the OP ranting and repeating the same thing over and over as if we don't get his point already. It's fine if OP doesn't want to do anything about it, all I can say is enjoy the hour-long reboots. Maybe Dish will fix this someday but I'm not holding my breath.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

This whole thread basically consists of the OP ranting and repeating the same thing over and over as if we don't get his point already. It's fine if OP doesn't want to do anything about it, all I can say is enjoy the hour-long reboots. Maybe Dish will fix this someday but I'm not holding my breath.

As opposed to accepting the status quo by others which gets nothing done.

Hopefully, they'll eventually allow us to set the update time. Realistically, that's most likely the only option we will see regarding this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldn't it be doing the EPG and sw download first, then rebooting?

Sure it could. I often do a power cord reboot after I get new software because sometimes it acts buggy. I would think that is why DISH is doing their nightly reboots too. Trying to get ahead of any potential bugs brought on by the software download.

Going to bed now with Hopper in same room. Hopefully, I will be able to sleep as good as I have since it was installed before Thanksgiving.

I wonder how often those who complain about the Dish reboot, reboot their computers? Rebooting the Dish receiver is just like rebooting a computer, isn't the Dish receiver really a computer!

I wonder how often those who complain about the Dish reboot, reboot their computers? Rebooting the Dish receiver is just like rebooting a computer, isn't the Dish receiver really a computer!

Which computer? I manage in the vicinity of 150 to 175 physical systems and in the vicinity of 250 unique os instances. These reboot very rarely,, with a short interval being 3 months.

My mac reboots rarely, tops once a week, has been as long as 60 days. my work laptop is daily because I shut down rather than sleep due to monitor differences between work and the office. I've gone as high as 2 weeks between boots though.

Look at my server answer, and realize that hopper is a server, serving 1-4 clients with streaming services.

Well you've been told the workaround, ranting at people for trying to help wont get you anywhere. Maybe Dish will read this thread, maybe not. I highly doubt that anything will be done about this anytime soon. You are far from the first person to complain about this flaw. Hopper has been out for a year now and they haven't bothered to fix this. Like it or lump it. They'll fix it if/when they want to.

I don't think it's much of a flaw but more or less that the internal drive in the receiver can be read at a faster speed then the external drive. It takes my Hopper 70 minutes to do the nightly SIC scan. I think roughly 10-15 minutes of this is the internal drive (the less disk space used the faster the scan) and the rest is my USB 2.0 External Drive (60-55min and once again scan varies on how much data is on your drive)

I do agree it's annoying. Especially when you get home late at night and decide you want to watch a TV show or movie but you want a snack first. You queue up your DVR program, walk in the kitchen and grab some popcorn or sandwich and come back and your Hopper is 5 minutes into the scan.

The ways around the long scan
1) Schedule a junk SD recording at 1am-2:30am
2) Remember to disconnect your EHD or just get into the Habit of plugging in your EHD only when you want to use it.

But the Joey still reboots even if the Hopper it's linked to is recording - I can't find any way around it other than manually hitting the "no" button.

This highlights my point that the Dish team responsible for Hopper programming needs to start thinking of it as the server it is. The reboot impacts all streaming services clients attached.

Although it isn't the hopper reboot issue directly, it underscores the need to treat this as client/server dependencies.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

My concern with the nightly re-boots is that it seems to be the culprit in my Hopper (and my 922 before) losing connection with one or both of my EHD's at times. This problem has been discussed in other threads but I think it is directly related to the re-boot process. For whatever reason when the re-boot completes the connection to both EHD's is not always re-established.

My Mac is up for 38 days now. My Linux machine is up for 8 days only because of a kernel update, otherwise it can be up for months on end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)