Nightly updates time

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

chiodo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 17, 2005
Pacific NW
Doea anybone know if you can adjust the time for when the Hopper wants to shut down every night for updates?
There was an option in settings on my 722k but I don't see anything on HwS. Is it possible othet than 1:30am.

I am frequently watching TV at 1:30 am and am annoyed by the nightly update. If I happen to be not looking at the TV at the time that the update message is displayed, I am stuck waiting for the update to complete and I miss part of the show I am watching.

I wish dish would add the ability to change the update time like they do on their older receivers. If that is too hard for Dish to do, why can't they change the update time to a time when less people might be watching (like 3:30 am).

I know I can set a timer to record at that time to prevent the update, but that is not the best solution.

That is pretty hard to do if I am not in front of the TV! (For example, went to the kitchen for a drink, or went to bathroom).
Isn't it finishing up by the time tou get back? The update only takes about 3-5 minutes for me, and I usually just take the time to go to the bathroom, or smoke a cigarette that I was going to pause the TV to do anyways.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I am frequently watching TV at 1:30 am and am annoyed by the nightly update. If I happen to be not looking at the TV at the time that the update message is displayed, I am stuck waiting for the update to complete and I miss part of the show I am watching.

I wish dish would add the ability to change the update time like they do on their older receivers. If that is too hard for Dish to do, why can't they change the update time to a time when less people might be watching (like 3:30 am).

I suspect Dish was doing exactly that with the 1:30 AM time. Sorry, but people up watching at 1:30 must be in the extreme minority, not much different than 3:30.

Getting enough sleep is key to wellness. Go to bed.

Edited to say - sorry if that sounds snippy. Not trying to offend - I think a user set update time is a reasonable request. Just saying that if they were trying to pick a convenient time, 1:30 AM seems pretty good.

Isn't it finishing up by the time tou get back? The update only takes about 3-5 minutes for me, and I usually just take the time to go to the bathroom, or smoke a cigarette that I was going to pause the TV to do anyways.
Sorry, not a good answer. If I'm going to pause the TV to do something else, it's so that I can continue to watch at the point I left off. If the receiver reboots while I'm gone, I've lost everything in the buffer that I hadn't watched yet. At this point in time, setting a timer or recording while you are watching is the only answer.

Reactions: GaryPen and ChadT41
Sorry, not a good answer. If I'm going to pause the TV to do something else, it's so that I can continue to watch at the point I left off. If the receiver reboots while I'm gone, I've lost everything in the buffer that I hadn't watched yet. At this point in time, setting a timer or recording while you are watching is the only answer.
I agree with setting the recording, and that will keep the buffer, but this was more towards the Joey.

I wonder if a set update time is to save a bit of bandwidth by not having to repeat updates all day. Could be a harbinger of things to come for other boxes.

I suspect Dish was doing exactly that with the 1:30 AM time. Sorry, but people up watching at 1:30 must be in the extreme minority, not much different than 3:30.

Edited to say - sorry if that sounds snippy. Not trying to offend - I think a user set update time is a reasonable request. Just saying that if they were trying to pick a convenient time, 1:30 AM seems pretty good.
Your generalization doesn't take into account people who work swing shifts (4-midnight) and who go to bed much later than the majority.

Your generalization doesn't take into account people who work swing shifts (4-midnight) and who go to bed much later than the majority.
Being one that is usually up those late hours, and back when I was working, would get off at midnight, the crowd that is up that late is still in the extreme minority. Think of it this way, at dish, we stocked our call centers 24/7. After about 9 pm, we went from back to back calls, to 10+ minutes between calls, because most people were either going to bed, or already asleep. Is it aggravating to us that are up those hours... Yes. Is it most convient to the vast majority... Yes. It's just one of the prices we pay. The same argument could potentially be made to restaurants that are not open late. It is just not convient to stay open that late, even for paying customers. (I understand there are differences, but look at the nature of the argument).

All you have to do is select No.
You knee-jerked your Dish defense before reading the rest of his post.

I guarantee less people are watching at 3:30. Or 4:00.
You know, people can wake up later, right?

.. Think of it this way, at dish, we stocked our call centers 24/7. After about 9 pm, we went from back to back calls, to 10+ minutes between calls, because most people were either going to bed, or already asleep.
Just because support requests dropped drastically doesn't mean people aren't watching.

How many support requests did you get from 5pm to 9pm? Let's say it was 10,000. That's .07% of total subscribers. That's 7/100 of 1 percent.
That's not much. Yet, one must assume that the majority of the 14 million households with Dish are watching TV during that time. It wouldn't be a stretch to assume it was 10 million of them, possibly more.

So, now the number of CS drops to 10% of what it was before 9pm. Even 5%. If you are comparing that to viewership, you are still looking at 500,000 viewers.

A lot of people watch TV late at night. That is why there are shows like THE LATE SHOW and THE LATE LATE SHOW.

Even if there was a legitimate reason not to add a user-definable update time in the settings menu, they could at least move the fixed time to a less-watched period, such as 4am. (They could also design FW that doesn't need to be re-booted daily to run well. But, that's another discussion.)

This knee-jerk defense of Dish' occasional bad decisions still baffles those of us who view things objectively.

Not really a "Knee jerk defense against someone that is objective", when a reason was offered not really for or against their idea, but to explain the reason it was. You would be in the Anti Dish Club, fighting that the people who make decisions for this multi-billion dollar company is wrong have no idea what they are doing, while we all subjectively just care about what fits our needs, and not the needs of the company as a whole. Again, this is a 2 minute update, that causes a disturbance in a very very small percentage of customers, and as I have stated in the past, will not be changed until it is financially wise to do so. If so many people would like to leave, as long as that number of people that leave, costs less then the cost of people who have issues because of it not being a different time, they will keep it the same. It is your basic Opportunity Cost. Now as previously stated, I am affected by this as well, and I agree that it sometimes can be a PITA, however after almost 3 years with these machines, I know the workarounds to do if I would like to save a buffer on something, including the Joey, so I do not miss much. Whining about something you know is going to do absolutely no good is going to do nothing but cause you high blood pressure issues. As far as the 3:30 update, or 4AM update ideas... considering it was on EVERY receiver previously, you would think to stop and look at it objectively and say "Well hell, there must be a legit reason why they changed the time on their flagship receiver, instead of having it the same time, or even same features as the previous models", instead of just thinking, 'Dish is dumb, they do not know what they are doing. Bad Dish'. It is rudimentary at best.

Reactions: KAB
Whining about something you know is going to do absolutely no good is going to do nothing but cause you high blood pressure issues. As far as the 3:30 update, or 4AM update ideas... considering it was on EVERY receiver previously, you would think to stop and look at it objectively and say "Well hell, there must be a legit reason why they changed the time on their flagship receiver, instead of having it the same time, or even same features as the previous models", instead of just thinking, 'Dish is dumb, they do not know what they are doing. Bad Dish'. It is rudimentary at best.
A. My blood pressure is fine
B. It is not whining when pointing out a product's shortcoming, especially one with such an easy fix.
C. Why must there be a legit reason that they changed it from the 4am of the previous models? They changed the way the FFWD and Skip buttons work in the EPG for no legit reason.
D. They set My Channels as the default for no legit reason. But, thankfully, they corrected it after enough people complained...err whined...about it enough.
E. I never automatically think "Dish is dumb. They do not know what they are doing." I do however often think, "This specific thing is dumb. I wonder why Dish did it this dumb way, when most things about the Hopper are done pretty smartly?"

That is how an objective mind works, btw.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
A. My blood pressure is fine
B. It is not whining when pointing out a product's shortcoming, especially one with such an easy fix.
C. Why must there be a legit reason that they changed it from the 4am of the previous models? They changed the way the FFWD and Skip buttons work in the EPG for no legit reason.
D. They set My Channels as the default for no legit reason. But, thankfully, they corrected it after enough people complained...err whined...about it enough.
E. I never automatically think "Dish is dumb. They do not know what they are doing." I do however often think, "This specific thing is dumb. I wonder why Dish did it this dumb way, when most things about the Hopper are done pretty smartly?"

That is how an objective mind works, btw.
This was not directed solely at you, Gary. This was to everyone who automatically thinks that standing by a product makes one part of the Dish Defense League. I am not ashamed that I do appreciate the advances within the company, but even you have to admit, some people take their hatred of the company to far, rather than just let it go, and look at it from a different POV. You just happened to be there, when I was in a writing mood. LOL sorry if it came back as if I was aiming that entirely at you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)