Nightmare installation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pumpintuner

Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Tried switching from Dishnetwork to Directv but had a bad experience. I wanted to try HD and the deals seem very good. Before the installer came I was really excited and motivated but when the installer came things changed. He said that I could not get Directv in my house and garage. The installer said that he couldn't run a wire to my garage because he might get suspended (more than 10ft) and recommended I ordered a separte directv dish, and that they shouldn't charge since is the same address.
So, I canceled the installation explained over the phone that I wanted a different work order where I wanted two dishes, one in the house and the other in the garage, and asked if I was going to be charged for this. The represantative told me that there shouldn't be a problem and that I would get my free installation. Little did I know that when the weekend came (install 8-12pm--late arrival 12:10pm) the two installers called their supervisor in regards for my request and they were going to charge me above $140 for the hd dish even though Directv had assured me I wouldn't be charged!. After much allegation with them..I canceled my order and are not in good terms with Directv right now. Although I do regret the good deal I had $20 off every month for first year with showtime free for a year and 3mos. of HBO, Stars..etc. I've thought about installing hd dish just in the house and running the wire myself, but don't know how difficult this may be. Any advice would be appreciated.

yeah the garage is about 10-15 feet from the house. Is in the back of the house passing a long driveway. I'm sure I can run the directv wire from house to garage through the powerlines that connect them. I just would need to know if the set up is as easy as it sounds.

-My only fuss with Dish right now is that their HD channels are limited and they don't offer GOL TV (big soccer fan!), and the fact that to upgrade to HD with Dishnetwork will cost me the free installatin since I have standard dish.

While considering a jump from E* go D*, I came across more than enough reports of install problems...the problems being the installers themselves. One of the reasons I decided to stay...and keep using the better equipment

You can get good and bad installers from each company. I would discount any particular posting about that. As to doing the install yourself, it's quite easy. Just run a line from the dish to where you want the receiver in the garage. You could have them install it for you in your house, then move it when they are done.

This may not be the best idea since the power lines can cause interference with the signal going to the garage receiver.

I've done this same thing before with no issues.
We placed the dish on the garage roof for LOS reasons and have a post to hold the electric up high enough to get the RV in and ran the D* wire right next to the electric and has worked fine.

OP,
I would call D* back and see if they still have your offer on the computers and have them install the set up you want in the house ... run the RG-6 line out to the garage to where your going to have your dish or incoming lines from the dish mounted.
When the installer gets there have him put the rec in the garage for you and have him connect the wire you placed :)
He'll be happy because some of the work is already done.

99% says you won't get the same installer anyways...

fwiw, I don't have any idea what he would get in trouble over running a line more than 10 ft. it's done all the time and should have been done the first time.

Like raoul said, you get good and bad installers with any company ...
You find many more threads complaining about bad installers because the good ones don't get threads because the sub is happy and had nothing to say, it was done the way it was suppose to be done.
You have WAY more good installs than bad ones.

Jimbo

yeah the garage is about 10-15 feet from the house. Is in the back of the house passing a long driveway. I'm sure I can run the directv wire from house to garage through the powerlines that connect them. I just would need to know if the set up is as easy as it sounds.

-My only fuss with Dish right now is that their HD channels are limited and they don't offer GOL TV (big soccer fan!), and the fact that to upgrade to HD with Dishnetwork will cost me the free installatin since I have standard dish.

I've done this by stringing a cable between the two structures (attached to eye bolts/screws) then used cable ties to secure the RG6 to the cable. Gives the RG6 cable needed support for the wind/snow/ice/whatever.

I would keep it away from any power lines of course.

Certainly not a rocket science install - but not "standard" either. Be sure to use a grounding block!!!!!

What exactly were they going to charge you for? The Work order should have had 2 Dishes listed on it which they would have gotten paid for. Did you need poles, wall fishes... ?

WHAT I DID

Well years ago I ordered my hd service and the installer had installed my dish which worked good at first. After a storm hit I was getting pixelated channels and I got tired of it. I guess the installer did not use enough screws to hold it in place. I decided to move it to my backyard which would be aesthetically better for the house. The trick I used to aim my hd slimline was to find the 101 satellite first with the help of one of my sd receivers that make a beeping sound when you're aiming it. I got the 101 with the strong signal. Then I loosend up the screws for the skew and hooked it back to the hd receiver and worked on the other satellites by calling my brother over the cell phone to tell me the strengths of the signal while he was inside the house. I managed to get strong enough signals on all of my satellites. Nowadays even when it rains I have a strong signal and I made sure my dish was in a sturdy enough place to withstand wind and rain. That's what I did.

What exactly were they going to charge you for? The Work order should have had 2 Dishes listed on it which they would have gotten paid for. Did you need poles, wall fishes... ?

They wanted to charge me for the second HD Dish saying that it was extra. When I asked them how much, they were not sure and the installers called their supervisor, or whoever was in charged..and they said that it was between 120-140 and less if i wanted a standard dish. It seemed somewhat shady..so i told them i was no longer interested. I was then called by a directv representative to confirm my cancelation and she mentioned that a separate dish was extra and not part of the free installation that directv advertises. I told her that they couldn't be telling me that it was free at first and then wanting to charge me afterwards,...after that my phone died and did not bother calling back. I might try this again and will keep you posted in regards to how this goes. I used to be a directv customer went to timewarner, dish network ,and now I want to go back and hope this time around things work out.

They wanted to charge me for the second HD Dish saying that it was extra. When I asked them how much, they were not sure and the installers called their supervisor, or whoever was in charged..and they said that it was between 120-140 and less if i wanted a standard dish. It seemed somewhat shady..so i told them i was no longer interested. I was then called by a directv representative to confirm my cancelation and she mentioned that a separate dish was extra and not part of the free installation that directv advertises. I told her that they couldn't be telling me that it was free at first and then wanting to charge me afterwards,...after that my phone died and did not bother calling back. I might try this again and will keep you posted in regards to how this goes. I used to be a directv customer went to timewarner, dish network ,and now I want to go back and hope this time around things work out.

I forgot to mention earlier.
You should have NO need for a second dish unless your second rec. (garage) is over 150 ft or more, most time 150-200 ft is fine.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts