Nimiq 5 Launch Scheduled for September 18

One near term impact of the conversion to 8PSK at 72.7 W is that Dish could move a large amount of SD programming from 77 W to 72.7 W that frees up space for locals at 77 W. If Dish gets use of more than the 16 TPs they have use of at 72.7 W as DirecTV gives them up, this also allows for more movement of CONUS programming off of 77 W and more space for locals there. In addition, I guess we should see shortly how many SD channels Dish will put on a 8PSK TP using MPEG-4.

You are correct about Dish having license for only 21 TPs at 119W. It also has license for only 29 TPs at 110 W. Dish currently uses 5 TPs for spotbeams at 119 W and 10 TPs for spotbeams at 110 W. This leaves Dish using 35 TPs for CONUS programming for the Western Arc using QPSK. (I believe there is also 1 CONUS TP at 129 W using QPSK). So to fully utilizing the spotbeam capability of E-14 at 119 W which requires 12 TPs, Dish needs to clear off 7 CONUS TPs basically off 110 and/or 119 W. A 25% increase in bandwidth from QPSK to 8PSK does the trick. Dish only needs to use 28 TPs in 8PSK to provide the CONUS programming that they currently provide using 35 TPs in QPSK i.e., 28 x 1.25 = 35.

Ug, there goes space for new HD.

Of course, could it be that many of those spots are merely a backup for E10 spots? Does Dish really need all that spotbeam space to get the CW, PBS, and other HDs going on the WA? Also, if the E10 spots go 8PSK (some already are, I think) that should also mean less space needed on E14 spots.

Ug, there goes space for new HD.

Of course, could it be that many of those spots are merely a backup for E10 spots? Does Dish really need all that spotbeam space to get the CW, PBS, and other HDs going on the WA? Also, if the E10 spots go 8PSK (some already are, I think) that should also mean less space needed on E14 spots.

I would think that Dish initally would not use all 12 TPs on E-14 for spotbeams at 119 W, E-14 spotbeam capability will be phase in. In addition, remember we are only talking conversion to MPEG-2 8PSK not MPEG-4 8PSK that provides even more bandwidth per TP. Somewhere down the road Dish should be phasing out the duplicate SD channels that have HD counterparts freeing up more bandwidth.

New signal strengths on 72.7 since the transition to 8psk is now complete: first line is before the change , second line is after the transition. Upside more bandwith , down side less signal strength.

Before/Now

01) 73/60
03) 75/60
05) 70/60
07) 73/62
09) 72/61
11) 70/60
13) 72/60
15) 75/62
17) 73/62
19) 74/62
21) 75/63
23) 77/63
25) 75/65
27) 76/65
29) 75/64
31) 78/66

Sounds typical. Just like comparing QPSK to 8PSK off of Ciel-2. I get about the same numbers. Nice to see a bird up there that can pull 60+ on 8PSK. EA needed a big push like this. Very nice to see the combination of 8PSK and MPEG4 on everything!

New signal strengths on 72.7 since the transition to 8psk is now complete: first line is before the change , second line is after the transition. Upside more bandwith , down side less signal strength.

Not quite. The Dish meter measures quality. It essentially means they are having to use the FEC more, which is expected with 8PSK. Strength is the same as before.

As someone explained it in the C-band forum years ago:

The higher the Signal Quality, the more data is being received without having to use data correction methods (better signal). The lower the Signal Quality, the more data correction methods are used to maintain a picture. Of course, there comes a point that the Signal Quality is so low (amount of good data received) that the receiver can't correct all the data errors and the picture suffers.

Absolutely correct! The strength of the signal didn't change. I think I explained this to the same poster in an uplink report thread, but didn't get into detail as much as your post.

But to be honest, I think the Dish screen does say strength, but technically it is based on quality. I think it should say signal quality, but then of course people would want to spend hours peaking a dish to get their signal from 65 up to 70 so the picture looks better. ;)

FEC is bumpped up quite a bit with 8PSK. 1/3 of Dish 8PSK signal is error correction vs 1/5 on QPSK (or less on some TPs).

Various modulations around besides the typical QPSK 5/6, 7/8 and 8PSK 2/3

8PSK 5/6:
SatelliteGuys.US - Dish Network ALL

Turbo Coded QPSK 2/3 on 118.7

And a really weird one... QPSK 1/2

Makes more sense now that it is really SQ instead of SS. Reason I say this is that on .9 meter I'm getting the same type of readings as MikeD-C05 who is using a smaller dish.

Sorry for my ignorance, but why do my s.s. #'s all show UP an average of 14-16 on 72.7 since the transition?:confused:
Thanks!

Ed

When was the last time you checked them? Signals went up when they transferred to Nimiq5 then went down a few points going to 8PSK but they are higher than when they were on E6. So if you compare then a month ago, then yes they will be higher.

Makes more sense now that it is really SQ instead of SS. Reason I say this is that on .9 meter I'm getting the same type of readings as MikeD-C05 who is using a smaller dish.

I still think you should get a higher quality on the bigger dish...to an extent. I know I got a good bit of an increase comparing a Dish500 on 129 to a my 90cm on 129.

What's (not) going on?

I was just looking at the guide and I noticed that a bunch of my SD channels are showing "Off Air" about 8:00pm EDT. Channels like TVLand, Momax, Hallmark, etc.
Is this a change due to Nimiq5? I'm under the impression that I will get these channels back, right? Is Dish just moving things around? If so, was there any info on this, or did I just miss it? I'm in KY on the Eastern Arc.
Please, if someone knows what's going on, fill me in before "the wife" starts on me about "what has happen?" :(
Thanks,
Ghpr13:confused:

Over night

I was just looking at the guide and I noticed that a bunch of my SD channels are showing "Off Air" about 8:00pm EDT. Channels like TVLand, Momax, Hallmark, etc.
Is this a change due to Nimiq5? I'm under the impression that I will get these channels back, right? Is Dish just moving things around? If so, was there any info on this, or did I just miss it? I'm in KY on the Eastern Arc.
Please, if someone knows what's going on, fill me in before "the wife" starts on me about "what has happen?" :(
Thanks,

Over night last night PLAYBOY said Off Air but it was running just no info on the channel. It may be something like this and they are really there but no guide info.

IF you have any timers set to the 72.7 sat before yesterday , check again because they won't fire. I had to delete them and recreate them since the 8psk transition was completed last night. I had to do this before when we switched from Echostar 6 to Nimiq 5 sat a couple of weeks ago.

Absolutely correct! The strength of the signal didn't change. I think I explained this to the same poster in an uplink report thread, but didn't get into detail as much as your post.

But to be honest, I think the Dish screen does say strength, but technically it is based on quality. I think it should say signal quality, but then of course people would want to spend hours peaking a dish to get their signal from 65 up to 70 so the picture looks better. ;)

The only reason I am hung up on the strength of the signal is because I want to prevent rain fade. To me the higher the signal strength on the sat meter the better.

The only reason I am hung up on the strength of the signal is because I want to prevent rain fade. To me the higher the signal strength on the sat meter the better.

Rain fade will happen. Watched happen on a 90cm dish pointed at the powerful E11. You need a VERY big dish to prevent it totally. 10-15 points isn't going to make a hill of beans when it comes to a down pour in the south.

I was just poking some old fun at the defjeff comments that still hang around saying better signal = better picture.

IF you have any timers set to the 72.7 sat before yesterday , check again because they won't fire. I had to delete them and recreate them since the 8psk transition was completed last night. I had to do this before when we switched from Echostar 6 to Nimiq 5 sat a couple of weeks ago.

That's weird... I could maybe see it on channel moves, but I haven't had that issue at when channels have moved for me.

You definitely shouldn't have had it happen when Nimiq5 was brought online. Nothing in the tables changed at all for that move, just a different "bent pipe" up in space. If you had to recreate them for that switch you might have something wrong with your box.

Thanks,

Yep, they do that when moves are scheduled at night.

Checked the s.s. this afternoon and they WERE back down considerably. About to where they were before, I'd say an average in the low 50's. But then it's very cloudy and been steadily raining all day so it's hard to tell. My UNeducated guess would be they are now gonna be just a couple of #'s above where they were before.............:confused:

Ed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts