Nimiq 5 Launch Scheduled for September 2009

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mdonnelly

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 26, 2004
Mustang, OK
Contained in an Echostar application to the FCC dated July 9. 2009:

" ...
APPLICATION FOR SPECIAL TEMPORARY AUTHORITY
Pursuant to Section 309 of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended 47 U.S.C. §
309, and Part 25 of the Commission’s Rules, EchoStar Corporation (“EchoStar”) hereby files
this application for special temporary authority (“STA”) to operate a transmit/receive earth
station (Call Sign E980005) to perform telemetry, tracking and command (“TT&C”) operations
to support the launch of Telesat Canada’s Nimiq 5 satellite and to maneuver the satellite into a
circular geostationary orbit at its in-orbit test location of 82° W.L. No other changes are being
requested by this application, and no further interference study or coordination is needed.
The 72.7° W.L. orbital location has been allotted to Canada under the International
Telecommunication Union’s Region 2 Plan for the Broadcasting-Satellite Service (“BSS”).
Canada has authorized Telesat Canada (“Telesat”) to use the entire 12.2-12.7 GHz DBS band at
the 72.7° W.L. location. Telesat has contracted to provide the use of all of the satellite’s capacity
to Bell ExpressVu Limited Partnership, a limited partnership organized under the laws of the
Province of Ontario in Canada, acting through its General Partner, Bell ExpressVu Inc., a
Canadian company. (“Bell ExpressVu”). Pursuant to the Nimiq 5 Transponder Service
Agreement between EchoStar (and certain of its affiliates) and Bell ExpressVu, EchoStar will in
turn subscribe for the use of up to 16 of the satellite’s DBS transponders to provide service into
the United States
. The satellite is scheduled to be launched in September 2009, and will initially
be located at the 82° W.L. orbital location for testing. ..."

Interesting.. BellTV has things allocated in their system to all 32 TP's on 82W. I believe they do have a one or two that doesn't not have subscriber channels on them yet, so they can test a couple of transponders there.

Good news!

The Aisasat 5 assembly and launch campaign just started, so Nimiq 5 must be next up on the list. When Sealaunch went bankrupt last month, everyone started scrambling for launch slots and I thought Nimiq might get caught in the crossfire.

The Telesat web page has it operational in early 2010.
Nimiq Fleet | Telesat.com

So this means we can get a decent signal in the lower USA once again with HD channels?

So this means we can get a decent signal in the lower USA once again with HD channels?

You are in one of the few areas of the country that will have a huge jump in signal strength, it you can see the satellite. Most of Conus does not change much.

You are in one of the few areas of the country that will have a huge jump in signal strength, it you can see the satellite. Most of Conus does not change much.

Hopefully this will include the San Diego area where signal is zero. I'm 6 weeks into my eastern arc view only apartment which means 61.5 only for me. I pick up 77 pretty well also, but with only local programming, it does nothing for me.

Miner

Hopefully this will include the San Diego area where signal is zero. I'm 6 weeks into my eastern arc view only apartment which means 61.5 only for me. I pick up 77 pretty well also, but with only local programming, it does nothing for me.

Miner

I am talking really big increase in signal as compared to Echostar 6. Double strength in LA (3+dBw increase) and 8X strength in San Diego (9 dBw increase).

Attachments

• Echostar 6 San Diego 40 dBw  -LA 46 dBW.jpg
    Echostar 6 San Diego 40 dBw -LA 46 dBW.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 203
  • Nimiq 5 So California 50 dBw.jpg
    Nimiq 5 So California 50 dBw.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 224
Good news!

The Aisasat 5 assembly and launch campaign just started, so Nimiq 5 must be next up on the list. When Sealaunch went bankrupt last month, everyone started scrambling for launch slots and I thought Nimiq might get caught in the crossfire.

The Telesat web page has it operational in early 2010.
Nimiq Fleet | Telesat.com

I have to wonder if someone wont pick up Sea Launch for a good price.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)