Nintendo Wii - New Downloadable games $5?

mwgiii

Gaming Guru & Pub Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Birmingham, AL
Iwata Discusses Taking Wii Online
Suggests downloadable games could cost about $5.
by Patrick Klepek, 06/02/2006
Even though we learned much from Nintendo E3, they managed to leave plenty unsaid in the months leading up to the November launch of Wii -- chiefly, what's going with the Virtual Console and their approach to Wii's online networking services. We still aren't learning much, but Gamasutra pointed out an interview on Japanese publication Tech On this morning where Nintendo president Satoru Iwata discussed some of the company's plans for the features.
Iwata stressed the ability for developers to create shorter, fun games for Wii that could be downloaded for a cheaper price. Specifically, he mentions 500 yen (rough $5 USD) as a going price. This is hardly a confirmation of Virtual Console prices, as many could be more expensive and even cheaper, but it's an indication of their mentality.
"By offering an environment that allows this, we hope to encourage more developers to pursue basic yet enjoyable gameplay. Of course, content-rich games have their own merit, and I have no intention of discrediting them," says Iwata.
Another interesting feature brought up at E3 was WiiConnect24, where the Wii remains online all the time, even when turned off. Though this, Nintendo plans on hooking players up with additional content. Iwata's example involved sending a Nintendo DS demo overnight that players could download to their handheld in the morning.
"...we need to offer something new each day. That is why we thought of a system that would allow us to change our offerings during the night," he said.
But what if you don't want everything Nintendo's pushing on you? Hopefully there'll be some content controls -- not to mention a revamping of the friend's code idea that currently makes online gaming on DS a royal pain -- as Nintendo works out the kinks.

Source: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3151170

You ever play hangman? How about tetris? That's the kind of basic, yet enjoyable gameplay he's talking about here...

I'm addicted to couronne so I can't really complain. Though if you're buying a wii to play tetris you've got too much money...

I think many of the Nintendo games would still be worth $5. I think this should be a hit. An entertainment system for those on a budget in these times is very important. I think Nintendo has the right idea here. There are different niche markets.

Again, we're not talking about downloading Super Mario 3 for 5 bucks (well, probably), he's talking about new games for 5 bucks. Like xbox arcade type games. Simple little games that are more for the other people in the house to play between your zelda sessions. Probably every game you saw them using the remote for will be a $5 game. When you saw the groups of girls pumping up a balloon, that's probably the games he's talking about. Simple small games for non-gamers to play, and not cost a fortune to do.

How they expect anyone to pay anything for NES and SNES games I don't know. It's 2006, we've been emulating those old games for a decade now...I play mario 3 on my xbox for christ's sake, get a clue nintendo...

Why would I spend 5 bucks, plus whatever the "retro" controller is going to cost, for something I can do for free on my other consoles (ps2 included)??

I play it on an emulator. I can burn an emulator to a disc and play it on the ps2 as well, though the performance sucks. Off a hard drive is perfect...

Purogamer said:
When you saw the groups of girls pumping up a balloon, that's probably the games he's talking about. Simple small games for non-gamers to play, and not cost a fortune to do.

The balloon game is part of WarioWare: Smooth moves: http://www.gamespot.com/e3/e3story.html?sid=6149719&pid=932946

The whole catalog is more about a all in one solution for NES/SNES/N64/Sega Genesis/ TurboGrafx 16 . Why pay for MP3's when you can download them off the net for free? Simplicity! Just click and pay for it and you're off. No need to search for emulators/roms.. burn to CD... and deal with poor emulation on some games..

Well, Roms are plentiful and have been for 10+ years...There's no such thing as poor emulation on NES and SNES games. More recent consoles sure, but not NES unless you've screwed with the software...

If I hadn't played mario 3 in forever, i'd gladly pay 5 bucks for it. But the fact that i've played it recently means I can save the 5 bucks. Plus I don't think the full library will be available, just the bigger games. Can't imagine anyone paying $5 for an old NES "Home Improvement" game or other games based on movie/tv shows at the time...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts