NJ -> comcast cable adding another box

raverhaze

Original poster
Dec 12, 2006
i have comcast digital cable in new jersey and want to run a line from my living room box to another room. can i split my line to the other room and buy a box off of someone without having to pay the extra 8 dollars or so a month for an extra room to comcast.

basically i just want to split my line and buy a box for a different room...will it work is what i'm asking. will i still need to let comcast know about my second box. thanks....lol

The second box has to talk to Comcast to work. Comcast does not sell boxes, so if you buy one from someone it is probably stolen. Comcast will not heat up your box unless it is theirs. Answer your question?

You can add another set on your own, but...

i have comcast digital cable in new jersey and want to run a line from my living room box to another room. can i split my line to the other room and buy a box off of someone without having to pay the extra 8 dollars or so a month for an extra room to comcast.

basically i just want to split my line and buy a box for a different room...will it work is what i'm asking. will i still need to let comcast know about my second box. thanks....lol

Your second set cannot be a pirate box, or stolen. Companies like Motorola do not authorize or license the technology to the public for resale. Only cable companies can purchase and lease equipment to the public that they manufacture. If you buy a generic cable box at a merchant, it will likely only work on non scrambled channels. Or you can use the TV or VCR if it has a tuner built in, to get non scrambled channels. Beware that many illegitimate companies sell pirate devices by asking your model of your box that can decode all channels, this type of device is illegal and will get you prosecuted if caught. You can buy the new Tivo Series 3 unit, if you want to own your own unit to get your premiums. It uses cablecard technology. However you cannot get OnDemand, and to get PPV you have to call it in, can't do it from the remote. Some newer digital TV set's are adding cablecard capabilities also. Keep it legal. Buyer beware, if in doubt check with the cable company first.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts