No 95

Status
Please reply by conversation.

yelloguy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
I am writing to get some opinions on this weird problem. My installer came today with a big oval dish and spent 11 hours here but he could not get the 95 satellite to work in my set up. He is getting 36-40 signal strength from the 95 sat when he measures at the LNB (the 101 sat shows up at 90 signal strength).

But when he hooked up the receivers through a 6x8 multi switch, the receivers only see 101. He is of the opinion that we are supposed to set up the receiver for a round dish (not oval) and it finds only one sat (101) during the initial setup. Then we are supposed to do an auto-check and that should find the other sat (95). But it does not.

He thought it was a bad multi switch and he used another one. But that did not work either. Then he used a 4x4 multi-switch (for testing only, since I need 5 or more outputs) but that did not work either.

He was confused and did not know what to do. I asked him to put the job on hold and come back later. But he did not have any more ideas. I wonder if someone here knows what could be wrong.

If the receiver did not download, do it force to the download, once pick the dish setting, pick two LNB oval dish, then go to the auto check, this will take sometime (as much as ten minutes sometime) to get the two satellites configuring, (once hit the auto check, there a small window at the right upper corner, and most the time, it will say no signal or error something, but don't worry it, if the 95 signal is there, it will).

I believed you get is the Aspen oval dish, the 95 LNB is st the center and with a bracket attached to the 95 LNB for the 101 LNB, the regular KU LNB need to be rotate to left or right (like 8 and 2 o'clock or 4 and 10 o'clock position) depending the area you at.

Attachments

• 95 and 101 install 001.jpg
    95 and 101 install 001.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 152
  • 95 and 101 install 003.jpg
    95 and 101 install 003.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 151
I have one Tivo unit and three D11 receivers. I am in 01824.

sksat, that did not work. I have it all hooked up I have tried to run the auto check with oval 2 LNB's and round 1 or 2 LNB's choices. The only choice I have not tried is the oval 3 LNB's. I will do that as I have nothing to lose.

When I use the oval 2 LNB's option, it finds two sats: 101 and 119. Signal strength on 119 less but that is because the dish is pointing to 101 and 95.

When I pick round and 1 or 2 LNB's option, it picks up 101 and nothing else.

I don't understand where it is supposed to popup the 95 sat. On the Tivo unit, I do not know how to get into setup. None of the receivers (or Tivo) have been activated yet. The installer left last night with the job on hold. I am waiting for them to contact me today.

Is the 6x8 the Zinwell model with two "Flex-port" inouts? The 95 feed is supposed to go into the first flexport, with the 101 going into any of the non-flexport feeds. Does the installer have a good sat finder to ensure he is locking on the 95 bird and not some other? When mine was installed last year, the installers couldn't tell if they were locking on the 95. Then they were told that the STB's all had to be tuned to channel 100 or 200 before running the autoconfigure for dish type. It eventually worked.

Installer is pretty sure he is locked onto the 95 with a signal strength of 39. He says 36-40 is normal for 95 and he has never seen more on that sat.

I don't know about the model of the multi switch but I will pass the info on to the installer when he shows up next. Thanks for the help.

PS: The STB is/was tuned to 200 when the auto check was run.

yelloguy said:
Installer is pretty sure he is locked onto the 95 with a signal strength of 39. He says 36-40 is normal for 95 and he has never seen more on that sat.

I don't know about the model of the multi switch but I will pass the info on to the installer when he shows up next. Thanks for the help.

PS: The STB is/was tuned to 200 when the auto check was run.

36-40 is not normal. He isn't locked on the the 95 sat. 40 percent signal strenght would allow the ird's to download and lock down the 95w, but it wouldn't be worth 2 cents for a picture.
Call the guys office and ask them to send out a tech with a meter that can detect the 95w.

Thanks. So should I ask for signal in the 90's for the 95 satellite too?

sksatellite said:
If the receiver did not download, do it force to the download, once pick the dish setting, pick two LNB oval dish, then go to the auto check, this will take sometime (as much as ten minutes sometime) to get the two satellites configuring, (once hit the auto check, there a small window at the right upper corner, and most the time, it will say no signal or error something, but don't worry it, if the 95 signal is there, it will).

I believed you get is the Aspen oval dish, the 95 LNB is st the center and with a bracket attached to the 95 LNB for the 101 LNB, the regular KU LNB need to be rotate to left or right (like 8 and 2 o'clock or 4 and 10 o'clock position) depending the area you at.

I tried this dish too i couldnt get it to work so i switched the customer to a DIRECTV dish and it worked fine..

yelloguy said:
I have one Tivo unit and three D11 receivers. I am in 01824.
There is a technical glitch on the D11/95/4x4/6x8 combo. A solution is in the works. Shoud be ready by the middle of November. :eek:
The TiVo should be able to work without any issues. :yes

Incaico, I discovered that the hard way. My tech spent two days at my place trying to figure it all out.

First problem: the flex-port described above. The tech said that even though the documentation asks him to use the first flex port (as mentioned in a post above) some other techs told him to use the second port for 95 sat. He did that and the first D11 (by good luck) recognized 95 sat.

Then we tried the Tivo and it recognized the 95 sat too.

We thought the problem was solved. But the next two D11's would not recognize the sat at all. And we tried for a long time in various rooms.

Then the tech was told by someone (incorrectly) that even though the receiver does not see the sat, the channels would show up, so he called directv to activate all my receivers. And we found out that only the two receivers that saw the sat showed the channels.

Now the directv tech told my installer that new D11 receivers are not very "95 friendly" and he has to keep trying or use an older D10. After a long conversation with supervisor, the tech agreed to give me two D10's for the non-working D11's.

The D10's worked exactly as promised and saw the sat in first try.

Problem solved. However, two days were wasted in this stupid new bug-laden technology mine-field.

yelloguy said:
Now the directv tech told my installer that new D11 receivers are not very "95 friendly" and he has to keep trying or use an older D10. After a long conversation with supervisor, the tech agreed to give me two D10's for the non-working D11's.

The D10's worked exactly as promised and saw the sat in first try.

Problem solved. However, two days were wasted in this stupid new bug-laden technology mine-field.

Sorry you had to go through all of these. They should have received a memo on this. :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)