No audio on ViP 722

z3540

Original poster
Sep 24, 2006
Merry Christmas everyone!
I am a relatively new member here and just upgraded my equiment to a ViP 722 this past September. Everything was working great until two days ago when I would intermittently lose audio for 1-2 seconds. Yesterday, it worsened to a point where there would be no audio and occasionally get 1-2 seconds of audio (video is OK). Today there is no audio at all. This happendes with live programing on all channels and DVR'd shows (some as old as 1 month). I have the 722 connected via component to the TV and audio to my Yamaha receiver via digital optical. Things I have done to correct the problem:
1. I have checked all the connections.
2. I have reset the unit by pressing the power button on the front of the box several times.
3. I played a DVD with audio going through the Yamaha via digital optical and that seems to work (ie. I have audio).
4. I used the DVD's digital optical cable on the 722 and still no audio.
5. I used the 722's digital audio output and connected it to the Yamaha's DVD digital audio input and still no sound.
6. The 722's software version is L448.

I called Dishnetwork and they had me go up the tech support levels until I reached the most experienced technician. They made me go through some of the steps above. They finally decided that I had a bad unit and will be shipping out another unit. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I have done a search here and in google and could not find information on this. I am having company on Dec. 25 and would like to show off my HD/surround equipment. Does anyone have any suggestions?

One more question: The tech told me that I needed a 350 GB external hard drive so that I can copy my recorded shows. Can I use a smaller hard drive if the 722's drive isn't full (I have about 20 SD and HD shows recorded)?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any replies/suggestions!

Since you're in a crunch, the only thing I can think of is taking red and white audio connections of a composite cable and hooking them into the back of the 722 in the red and white that are directly by the component's green, blue and red (You should see these labeled as TV1's connections).

The back of your sound system will likely have red and white audio inputs that you can hook the other end of the composite cable into. Then just turn your sound system to the "respective" source that is labeled for those inputs.

Hopefully, only the "digital" audio output is messed-up and not the entire audio output on the receiver.

My 622 has started acting like this on the optical output. I thought it was a loose cable when I first checked, but it has started again the last 2 weeks and seems to be getting worse. Time to call for a replacement I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts