No channel 45 in Phoenix (?)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bobaphx

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
My VOOM install has been smooth and I'm loving it except that I can't pick up channel 45 (UPN). I've tried to rescan several times and use the "re-aim antenna" feature (putting in RF 26) but signal strength is less then 80... so no picture.

I'm confused because the signal for 45 comes from the same location as the other Phoenix locals (right?) and their strength is high 90"s.

Has anyone else run into this problem? If so how did you resolve it?

This happened to me with a local station (27KDFI).

When I first had voOm installed I was able to receive it but within a couple of months I could no longer receive the channel due to a weak signal. I thought maybe had something to do with my antenna, but I found out that others in my area had the same problem and it was due to KDFI switching to a lower powered DTV broadcast. I'm unsure of the reason for this, but they eventually started broadcasting at full power and I can now receive this channel again.

I not sure if this is what's happening in your case but i've heard of it happening in other places as well so i figured I'd mention it.

I don't live in Phoenix but i do know that your signal strength must be at least 85+ to lock in your signal. I too have had the same problems picking up channels that come from the same locations. Were i live most channels are only five to ten miles away from my home and i can only get a signal strength of 80 to 82 on five OTA channels. To resolve your problem a better antenna is needed or try moving your antenna to a new location.

bobaphx said:
My VOOM install has been smooth and I'm loving it except that I can't pick up channel 45 (UPN). I've tried to rescan several times and use the "re-aim antenna" feature (putting in RF 26) but signal strength is less then 80... so no picture.

I'm confused because the signal for 45 comes from the same location as the other Phoenix locals (right?) and their strength is high 90"s.

Has anyone else run into this problem? If so how did you resolve it?
bobaphx, I hate to say it but I think your problem is antenna location. I've battled with OTA digital reception problems for more than a year before I finally found the "sweet spot" for my antenna. Moving the antenna up or down or left or right just by a few feet can make a big difference. The channels that gave me the most problems were 8.1, 12.1 & 61.1. I found if I moved the antenna, I would gain a channel, but lose another. I tried about 20 different locations before finally finding the right one.
BTW, my antenna setup is: Winegard PR-4400 4 bay bow-tie with a Winegard AP-8275 pre-amp and 100 ft. of RG6 coax.

Hi RPacion...
I have the Winegard antenna that looks like a wing. Is your Winegard PR-4400 4 bay bowtie antenna an upgrade from the wing??

bobaphx said:
I have the Winegard antenna that looks like a wing. Is your Winegard PR-4400 4 bay bowtie antenna an upgrade from the wing??
No. I have a Mitsubishi HDTV with an integrated digital tuner, so I was watching digital OTA long before signing up with Voom. When I had Voom installed, I had the installer use my existing antenna setup. He ended up leaving the "wing" antenna with me. Someday I might hook it up just to see how well it performs.

After replacing my outside cable box last night I went and re-scanned my locals. I get 99 on all but 15-1/15-2 and 21-1. These two are at 88 or so. I couldn't watch channel 15 the other night so maybe I'm just so barely on 'can watch it' side.

I'm using a $24.99 radio shack yagi that I had installed pre-voom.

When the installer came he re-oriented my OTA antenna to shoot east of the lights on south mountain vs directly at the towers which greatly improved my signal. He did this withou the aid of a signal meter / before even looking at the signal strength on the STB.

I'll have to pick up a long enough ladder and fine tune my OTA.

Shawn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts