No color on 522 when turn on

martymartin

Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
IL
Has anyone had or is having this issue:

When you first turn on the 522, the picture is black & white for about a minute or so. This is on both the TV's that connected to 522. It goes away for now, but it takes longer each time to come back, it was just a second, now it is up to a minute.

Any ideas?

I have seen a similar problem. I don't get it on TV1 which is S-Video. On TV 2 I sometimes see black and white when I turn it on, but it always clears up as soon as I select a prerecorded show.

Steve

My 522 and our 2nd 522 in the bedroom both do this, however, it's not when you turn them on... Sometimes the color just randomly goes out... It only stays like that for a second, so it's not too bothersome to me, at least right now..

the living room 522 is on s-video, and the bedroom 522 is coax to the tv, and coax to the second tv (using tv2 tuner)... So it's definitely the 522's, and not the connections to the tv...

What's more bothersome, is lately our boxes have gotten staticy sound. I noticed it first on mine, and thought it might be the audio connection to my reciever... I asked my wife if she's been getting noisy sound in the bedroom tv, and she said she was... so again, it's something on dish's end :(

Black and white is way better than color. It makes you focus more on the plot, and the character development then the flashy graphics. Consider yourself lucky!

I agree with Boba. It's most likely a reciever issue. If you'd like to trouble shoot yourself, here are a few things you could do:

To eliminate the possibility of a bad coax cable run: Move your TV2 close to the reciever and run a short cable from the TV2 output to TV2. Or you could simply take the TV2 output, and have it run to the TV you are using as TV1. Then take it to whatever channel, and see if there is color.

To eliminate the possibility of a bad TV: Swap TVs, and see if it persists.

I can't comprehend a problem like this coming from a bad switch or dish.

You know... something just caught my attention. That staticky sound you mentioned, x3ro. I've had a customer calling me every 2-3 weeks for the past few months. I went out there once after the install and replaced a line, but that didn't fix the problem. It's the same issue you are referring to: Staticky sounds. He called me again today. I informed him that its a highly unusual problem, and it's not related at all to the signal strength from the Dish. It's happening on two of his TVs (each TV is hooked to a different tuner... so... weeeird). But the other two TVs work perfect. I suggested he try UNGROUNDING his system temporarily, as it may be an electrical issue. We'll see.

You know... something just caught my attention. That staticky sound you mentioned, x3ro. I've had a customer calling me every 2-3 weeks for the past few months. I went out there once after the install and replaced a line, but that didn't fix the problem. It's the same issue you are referring to: Staticky sounds. He called me again today. I informed him that its a highly unusual problem, and it's not related at all to the signal strength from the Dish. It's happening on two of his TVs (each TV is hooked to a different tuner... so... weeeird). But the other two TVs work perfect. I suggested he try UNGROUNDING his system temporarily, as it may be an electrical issue. We'll see.

Hm.

All I know is, that once I get the static, if i turn off the receiver and turn it back on, the static goes away for quite awhile. The weirder thing is, the static usually only happens if i've paused a tv show and unpaused it. If I dont pause it, I usually dont get any static! This never happened at all until the latest software updates :mad:

This is the very reason I am here at SatelliteGuys: searching for this very problem.

It all started right after the latest software update to 4.13.

I have a 522 and on Tuner #2 it goes to black and white sometimes after being on for hours but sometimes imediately. There is no method to the madness. I can skp back and it fixes the problem most of the time but it is very frustrating.

I am also getting the crackling staticy sound from tuner #1. I run it with the S-video and Optical out. It works fine for hours and then I will start having it come up. The only way I have been able to fix this problem is a soft reset. Turning off the receiver does not fix my problems.

I have checked the System Info screen and it is showing that I have LNB Drift, which I have no idea what that means and if that is a big deal but it is there nonetheless. I do not think this is the problem though, I am almost 100% sure it is the new software upgrade.

Had a service call on a 522 yesterday, same issue. Tv 2 would drop sound, sometimes go black and white. rewind it a bit and it's fine. I did not witness the problem of course, it was working fine while I was there, but the customer said it just started after the last software update, L413 i believe. dish had already sent him a replacement 522, and it was doing the same thing. Hopefully they get this straightened out soon.

I'm suspose to get the 622 next week and I have had the B/W problem too. I have several TV's on the TV2 coax home disturbution. I sometime leave TV2 on with music. I started noticing the B/W on my 2 week old HDTV and went over the the 16 year old 13" and it had color on it. I changed channels on the new TV and it was B/W too. After about 30 seconds the color snaped on. Later I was watching a show on TV1 DVR and when it came to the end and stopped the sound on TV2 went off. When I cleared the DVR and went back to live TV the sound came back on. Then today I was watching a DVR show and paused it and the sound went off on TV2. Hope this problems not happening the the 622's also.

I just started seeing the problem on TV2 on the 522. My first thought was TV or cable and replaced the cable. The problem was still there with the cable, but seemed to clear itself up after a few minutes so I didn't replace the TV. Also, the TV still had color when watching a DVD and even on the menu screens, so I don't think it is the TV.

The TV is in the basement and doesn't get watched very much, so I don't know how serious the problem is, but it certainly sounds like it is a bit more widespread. I'm not ready to shell out another $14 (and the associated hassle or dealing with CS, disconnecting/reconnecting and losing my recorded shows) so for I now I will just put up with it.

I just started seeing the problem on TV2 on the 522. My first thought was TV or cable and replaced the cable. The problem was still there with the cable, but seemed to clear itself up after a few minutes so I didn't replace the TV. Also, the TV still had color when watching a DVD and even on the menu screens, so I don't think it is the TV.

The TV is in the basement and doesn't get watched very much, so I don't know how serious the problem is, but it certainly sounds like it is a bit more widespread. I'm not ready to shell out another $14 (and the associated hassle or dealing with CS, disconnecting/reconnecting and losing my recorded shows) so for I now I will just put up with it.

It's definitely NOT the TV. The satellite channel in my son's room is doing the same thing. It's a 522 running on the TV2 tuner. Very annoying and stupid problem. How could dish screw this one up on a damn software release? Seriously! It started happening RIGHT after the 4.13 release :mad:

It's definitely NOT the TV. The satellite channel in my son's room is doing the same thing. It's a 522 running on the TV2 tuner. Very annoying and stupid problem. How could dish screw this one up on a damn software release? Seriously! It started happening RIGHT after the 4.13 release :mad:

My kids say it has been happening for the last 2-3 weeks or so, so that would definitely put it around the time of the 4.13 release.

No color

I also have a 522 and I have 2 TV's connected to TV2. One gets color all the time and the other will not get color when I play a DVR recording. Started about 3 weeks ago when I got the firmware update.

Dish is well aware of this problem

I have been out in the forums spreading this around as much as possible so sorry if I come off as a complainer (though I suppose I am at this point). If you are having this issue with your 522 STOP TROUBLE-SHOOTING. It isn't your problem. I replaced all of my cables, my surge protector and even my bloody stereo reciever (though, to be honest, it was because it died on me) before I got smart and gave them a call. Dish replaced my 522 twice saying that it was faulty. On the third try, I was promised a 622 which magically became another 522 on the UPS truck:) After the last replacement, they finally admitted that their engineers are aware of the problem but have no ETA for a fix (as of 12/28/2006). They also refused to update me without a $100 fee and another 2 year contract. I didn't just try one Rep either. I tried 3 or 4 times. Each time I found myself speaking to a rep who wanted to trouble-shoot the heck out of everything and seemed completely unaware of the problem. I would always eventually be transfered around until I was speaking to someone who would acknowledge the problem, apologize for it, then tell me I would just have to upgrade and sign a new contract or live with it until a fix becomes available (it has been well over a month already!) On my last call I told them I was un-willing to pay for service that was un-comfortable to watch, at which point, I was transferred to the concelation dept. and encouraged to cancel. I obliged and have an appointment with DTV. From what I am seeing in the forums, this is not a problem unique to the 522. Also, it seems clear that DISH is pushing people into upgrades, new contracts, etc. They are aware of the problem and, instead of fixing it, they are encouraging folks to upgrade and sign new contracts. To me, that is an unbelievable business practice! I have been back and forth between DISH and DTV a couple of times and have liked DISH better over all. Now, I am done with them.

I have been out in the forums spreading this around as much as possible so sorry if I come off as a complainer (though I suppose I am at this point). If you are having this issue with your 522 STOP TROUBLE-SHOOTING. It isn't your problem. I replaced all of my cables, my surge protector and even my bloody stereo reciever (though, to be honest, it was because it died on me) before I got smart and gave them a call. Dish replaced my 522 twice saying that it was faulty. On the third try, I was promised a 622 which magically became another 522 on the UPS truck:) After the last replacement, they finally admitted that their engineers are aware of the problem but have no ETA for a fix (as of 12/28/2006). They also refused to update me without a $100 fee and another 2 year contract. I didn't just try one Rep either. I tried 3 or 4 times. Each time I found myself speaking to a rep who wanted to trouble-shoot the heck out of everything and seemed completely unaware of the problem. I would always eventually be transfered around until I was speaking to someone who would acknowledge the problem, apologize for it, then tell me I would just have to upgrade and sign a new contract or live with it until a fix becomes available (it has been well over a month already!) On my last call I told them I was un-willing to pay for service that was un-comfortable to watch, at which point, I was transferred to the concelation dept. and encouraged to cancel. I obliged and have an appointment with DTV. From what I am seeing in the forums, this is not a problem unique to the 522. Also, it seems clear that DISH is pushing people into upgrades, new contracts, etc. They are aware of the problem and, instead of fixing it, they are encouraging folks to upgrade and sign new contracts. To me, that is an unbelievable business practice! I have been back and forth between DISH and DTV a couple of times and have liked DISH better over all. Now, I am done with them.

I figured out it wasn't my cables, or any other A/V equipment when I could switch over to my xbox and have zero static... Pretty simple test :p

Have you tried email to the CEO address for dish? I hear that gets crap done, and a lot better and faster. But yet, getting dicked around is BS. The static bothes the hell out of me, but usually turning on and off the receiver makes it go away long enough to not piss me off ;)

Yes, I did send him an email

I figured out it wasn't my cables, or any other A/V equipment when I could switch over to my xbox and have zero static... Pretty simple test :p

Have you tried email to the CEO address for dish? I hear that gets crap done, and a lot better and faster. But yet, getting dicked around is BS. The static bothes the hell out of me, but usually turning on and off the receiver makes it go away long enough to not piss me off ;)

I sent an email and was very surprised to get a response just a couple of days ago. They chalked the whole thing up to training issues with their reps, and apologized. Pretty cool that I got a response but there wasn't any help there either. I agree with you on the static. I am not really an a/v geek (as you can see from my troubleshooting methods:), but I got a killer deal on a pretty good system last year and have added a projector etc. Overall, I have nickeled and dimed myself so bad that I have dropped a few grand in the last 2 years to get my system up and running. Part of my being pissed is that this started about 24 hours after I had my projector in place and was loving life. Not dishes fault but... Not mine either:) I hate resetting because anything that is recording gets broken up and anything you have paused is history. I have had some time to cool off and realize how big of a dick I was to the reps, but I don't think they could over me anything to keep me now.

My receiver has just started doing this on TV2 also. I'm not positive of what receiver I have, but I think it's a 522 as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)