No Contract ... What can I get?

gandia9

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
I was lucky enough to sign on with Dish without a contract and now my 6 month HD free trial is up. Instead of canceling HD, do y'all think I can use it as a bargaining chip to get something new? Are there any stories or experiences out there? Also, any word on HD locals in Las Vegas?

I believe there is a story from one person who threatened to leave Dish Network for Direct TV and they were given another 6 months free HD.

gandia9: to continue getting your Las Vegas OTA HD through your Dish receiver, you have 2 cheaper HD choices:
#1: drop to HD Essentials on Feb 1
#2: cancel your HD package and pay a HD enabling fee

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to sign on with Dish without a contract and now my 6 month HD free trial is up. Instead of canceling HD, do y'all think I can use it as a bargaining chip to get something new? Are there any stories or experiences out there? Also, any word on HD locals in Las Vegas?

You have no chance in hell to get something out of Dish.

Dish is stingy with current customers.

You have no chance in hell to get something out of Dish.

Dish is stingy with current customers.

I disagree..I see many non warranty service calls where the customer has balked at paying and the CSR's waive the fees.
I had a dish mover with an HD upgrade. The notes stated that customer was upset becuase they thought the Mover was free. That's correct. However the customer did not want to pay the $59 upgrade fee to HD AND did not want to pay for the 722 upgrade. The CSR handed that customer over to winback and the Winback CSR let him have it all for no charge...Irony here..This job was in a neighborhood with brand new homes that stated at $700k!!!!
This guy's house was at least 4,000 square feet...
Goes to show if a customer threatens to cancel, Dish will do whatever it takes ot keep tha account active.
One thng though.. I think Dish will allow these things to happen on a ONE TIME basis. I see this alot in the customer notes, "one time fee waived' or some such..

Well, thanks for the advice. Just for the record, I got HD for a year and free locals. All I did was tell them the competing prices at Cox Cable and DirectTV. It was never about getting stuff for free (ok, maybe it was), but if there are better deals out there than Dish should try to compete. They did and kept me for a while. It's called capitalism. But with Bobby Knight as a coach, you may not understand that, Jim.

Well, thanks for the advice. Just for the record, I got HD for a year and free locals. All I did was tell them the competing prices at Cox Cable and DirectTV. It was never about getting stuff for free (ok, maybe it was), but if there are better deals out there than Dish should try to compete. They did and kept me for a while. It's called capitalism. But with Bobby Knight as a coach, you may not understand that, Jim.

Did they require you to take a commitment to get that deal?

I think programming is alot easier to get out of E* than hardware (or any company), what do they lose if they discount your bill over a year? More than if they don't and you leave.

and signing a new commitment can work both ways, it can lock in your price against future increases.

No new commitment. After I told them that cable is 'no contract' they didn't push the issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)