No current blu-ray player supports PIP.

um, what would be the point? Can it play two discs at the same time?

PIP would probably in this case be supported by the TV not the disc player.

um, what would be the point? Can it play two discs at the same time?

PIP would probably in this case be supported by the TV not the disc player.
It allows you to view an overlay of somthing like a commentary from an actor or director while the movie plays unaffected. HD DVD has this in the form of the in movie experience. It's pretty cool to watch Batman Begins and have the actor describe a scene while you watch his commentary and the movie in real time. This is a pretty big feature for the studios as they hope to take special features to the next level.

wouldnt that get annoying with the commentary and the dialog from the movie going and the same time? you might miss a key part to the movie because you were paying attention to the commentary. I wonder how many people actually use advance features like this. I personally on dvds never listen to the commentary tracks, just the movie, maybe the outakes and thats it. Dont need games or making of or dirctor interview or any of that other garbage.

Well isn't that a shot to the chops! Pretty much tamps down BD player sales for a few months. Many won't know or care, but I'll bet early adopters are more likely to.

I rarely ever listen to commentary, certainly never on first play. And PIP just doesn't interest me. Same for many, I'm sure. But just knowing it's out there and we can't/don't have it is bothersome. We always want more, even if we don't use it.

I have never listened to the commentary on any DVD. I watch the DVD for the movie not the BS that directors, producers, and actors lay out. After saying that, I understand the desire to be able to do this and yes it is a cool feature on HD-DVD products. An anoying one to me and my wife but to others it could be their cup of tea. After October this year BD players will be able to do this. I know that the PS3 with HDMI 1.3 is able to have two seperate video and audio channels in the bandwith at the same time. As to weather this is true PIP we will just have to wait and see.

Since the final version of BD-Java supporting PIP is not going to be available till Octoberish we will not know if any of the current players have hardware capable of PIP. Simply put, since the software driving the hardware is not availble no current player provides PIP. So pat yourself on the back Mr t'!

However, the article does not state that of the current BD players none of them if upgraded can or cannot do PIP. As a matter of fact the article does state that it is possible that there are current BD players that have the hardware but that it is not turned on yet.

Say Mr T' are you one of those M$ FUD directors that keep sneaking into differant forums and push FUD?

"Since the final version of BD-Java supporting PIP is not going to be available till Octoberish"

Careful. Maybe an actual player with that final version will not be available till then. Maybe. But the final version of BD-J must be finalized now, or is about to be, so that manufacturers can have it on the streets by the end of October. I'll bet "October 31" compliant players will be out way before then, say late summer. At least, I'm hoping.

However, the article does not state that of the current BD players none of them if upgraded can or cannot do PIP. As a matter of fact the article does state that it is possible that there are current BD players that have the hardware but that it is not turned on yet.
Heres the quote from Parsons.

"No player shipped to date supports PiP at this time, although it's always possible that a given model has been designed to switch it on later (no company has announced this yet as far as I know)."

Sounds like a total PC, face saving statement to me. Notice where he says "it always possible." He's the leader as doesn't even know for sure, or he is chosing not to tell. I would take that statement to mean no players yet released will be able to take advantage of this great feature. Maybe they'll offer a trade in discount.

It is also possible that none of the current hardware that is shipping has announce PiP yet is because they are probably prohibited from doing so until they pass some sort of certification to be able to claim the advanced standard support. The current shipping hardware folks had to know about PiP a while back, this does not happen overnight. Perhaps we will hear from some of them when certification begins.

Although I don't really use any of these features anyway, I pretty much just put in the disc and watch the movie, I might be a little tweaked if the $600 PS3 I just bought does not support all of the features available. Oh, well life will go on anyway. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts