No Directv for me.............

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Until the HR24's came out, I continued to ask for HR20-700's and got them everytime, just pointing out that the Newest recvr is NOT always the best recvr.
but it is in the case of the HR24 :p:D:D

Just my 2 cents as a DirecTV sub, the one thing that they should look at changing policy, is to allow the customer to order the specific reveiver that they want installed. If Dish does this, then that's good. I guess D* needs to cycle the earlier model boxes out of the loop but that's one policy that needs to be revisited, imo.

I just wish D* receivers would pick up OTA. That would be just fine. I can get 30+ locals + substations here in Cleveland/Akron/Youngstown area. Unless Direct is planning on adding the substations (not holding my breath) Seems like Direct could add a couple of networks like RTV, THIS TV, etc. pretty cheaply.

I just wish D* receivers would pick up OTA.

All the current H2x, HR2x & R22 receivers CAN pick up OTA - you simply add the AM21 module & you're all set - not sure what the issue is... :confused: :confused: (the H20 & HR20 already have it built in, but those receivers haven't been made for about 3+ years...)

D* is NOT going to add all those subchannels to suck up valuable bandwidth anytime soon

Supposedly D* can't control what receivers you get because it depends on what receivers your local installer has at their warehouse. That could be complete BS but that's the official reason.

Hey Jimbo,

I bought off eBay an OWNED HR20-100s (confirmed) because I wanted a receiver I could throw and larger INTERNAL drive into that I have and have the integrated OTA. I have 4 HR24s coming from DirecTV for my new install tomorrow (either HR24s or nothing as noted for the tech).

It'll probably get used mostly remotely from another HR24 via MRV. What are you thoughts of the HR20 compared to the HR24 both locally and over MRV?

Thanks,

Jason

Sorry, I don't do the MRV, reason is, I had a set up long before this came out. I ran cables from one room to the other long ago, so if I want access to my other HD DVR, I just go to a different input, the remotes are set for RF.

Supposedly D* can't control what receivers you get because it depends on what receivers your local installer has at their warehouse. That could be complete BS but that's the official reason.

That IS the reason,however, now that D* has seen that people are happy with the H/HR24's they could move to start eliminating the older ones, which they probably are doing already .... they will always have some in stock of the 21-23's because they want to give you the same recvr you currently have if you need a replacement, unless you bet them, then it's considered an upgrade ? and it's entirely different situation ?.

All the current H2x, HR2x & R22 receivers CAN pick up OTA - you simply add the AM21 module & you're all set - not sure what the issue is... :confused: :confused: (the H20 & HR20 already have it built in, but those receivers haven't been made for about 3+ years...)

D* is NOT going to add all those subchannels to suck up valuable bandwidth anytime soon
They should have left the OTA tuners in ALL of them, but decided to remove them and PUSH thier locals instead.

Sorry, I don't do the MRV, reason is, I had a set up long before this came out. I ran cables from one room to the other long ago, so if I want access to my other HD DVR, I just go to a different input, the remotes are set for RF.

Understand.

So, how are they for you side by side...do you find using the HR20 painful at all compared to the HR24?

They should have left the OTA tuners in ALL of them, but decided to remove them and PUSH thier locals instead.

Well yea, & E* did the SAME thing on THEIR HD DVR's as well... ;) :rolleyes:

The point is - both kinds can STILL do OTA, but you're going to have to spend a little extra $$ to get it now. While I'm not happy about it either, it's NOT the end of the world. And actually, it's not unheard of to get D* to comp you for one... ;)

Well yea, & E* did the SAME thing on THEIR HD DVR's as well... ;) :rolleyes:

The point is - both kinds can STILL do OTA, but you're going to have to spend a little extra $$ to get it now. While I'm not happy about it either, it's NOT the end of the world. And actually, it's not unheard of to get D* to comp you for one... ;)

I tried for a YEAR to get them to pay for the AM21, seeing I USE teh OTA feed EVERY NIGHT and day.
They wouldn't budge so I never upgraded, till now when I bit the bullet and got a new HR24 and AM21, which I paid for outright, at this point they won't even ship me one even if I DO pay for it, So if I upgrade ANY of my other TV's (got two more) I need to order from Online vendor and get it that way.

So ANYTIME I decide to upgrade, it will cost me an addl. $72 for the AM21.

I just switched to D*, with 1 tv, and the only thing I'm paying is the monthly charge, which is about $50 a month less than E* for the first year, and $25 @ month next year............for the same service. No charge for the HR 24, which I'm quickly falling in love with, no charge for installation. My locals are in HD, which they weren't with E*, ALL my Texas Rangers games are in HD, which they weren't with E*.
They fit my needs. I guess if you have the equipment already, I can see the complaint, but it worked out very well for me.
Plus, "Mama" is happy, and when "Mama" is happy, it's goooooooooooooooood for me.

I dont care what model it is... I just want two hd dvr's and two normal Hd recivers and a standard def box. D* just wants too much in upfront costs.

Having just switched from E* to D* I hear what you are saying about the upfront costs, but if you really look into the numbers, the D* solution is still more cost effective, even in the first year, provided you are going to have 3 or more units.

If you are planning to have 2 units, then it would take closer to 2 years to come out ahead (assuming all other things like programming desires are equal) and I still maintain that with a single unit, Dish is probably the better/low cost alternative.

Also keep in mind that Dish simply WILL NOT allow more than 3 leased boxes and you have to actually buy numbers 4 and 5 (and yes I really mean buy as in you own them per the Dish CSR and a supervisor).

Dish charges $449 to buy a 612 or 722 and $149 for a 211 or 222. But keep in mind that you pay a minimum of $7-17 per month for as long as you are with then just for the "service" regardless of ownership status.

As an example, for my setup of 2 DVRs and 3 Receivers (all HD):

Lease #1 722
Lease #2 622
Lease #3 211
Buy #4 722 @ $449 up front
Buy #5 222 @ $149 up front

So lets add it up:

$600 up front for #4 and #5
+
$6 DVR fee
$100 for Americas Everything
$7 for sports package
$17 for 722 Lease
$14 for 622 Lease
$7 for 211 Lease
$17 for 722 "DVR Service Fee"
$14 for 222 "DVR Service Fee"

$182 a month with $69 per month just to use the boxes I lease AND own. Thats $828 a year or just short of $1700 cash over a two year contract.

With D* I ended up getting the almost exact setup, in fact a little better for me since I wont use SD resolution Duo capability plus MRV, Sunday Ticket and the Platinum package for $90/120 (promo/post promo) a month including the $20 a month in hardware charges.

I think E* is just out of their business strategy "comfort zone" at about 2-3 units and D* really starts to just make more sense the larger your requirements get.

Yea in my case I have 1 722k that I use as a single tuner... and 3 211k's all with external Hard Drives hooked up so they were turned into DVR's. I only had to pay 99 dollars (bought from dish store.net) for the box 4th box. If I could get all of my equipment with a 99 dollar fee, then thats a bit easeyer to swallow.

Right now I'm looking at over 400 bucks to get setup. That kind of change I cant afford. Comcast says that they can get me all of the equipment I want (pricing is simular to dish). Uverse, while they can get me the same, Ill be running out of HD streams quicker than fly's on crap. (4 hdtv's on a 3 stream limit isnt going to cut it)

I really would like D* as they are a hellova lot closer to meeting my programming needs than what dish is doing. They (dish) just have me shakin my head. Its the upfront cost that is keeping me from D*.

Then you need to buy from somewhere else - the going rate even from D* is $50! :eek: :confused:
And, aren't you a dealer anyway??? If so, I KNOW they're not that much, either.

Not a dealer ...
The best price I've found for them that you can get in a quick fashion and KNOW they have them is Solid Signal and they are $ 59.99 + tax and shipping from what I can tell, came to $ 72 for the last one I got.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)