No FOX/NBC HD in San Francisco!?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jaberocs

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2005
hey everybody, i just got my system installed today, but im a little disappointed. i found out that i wasnt getting fox, abc, nbc, and cbs in HD. so naturally, i called D* and a csr fixed the abc and cbs. For the NBC, he said he needed to get a waiver. and for FOX, he said there was nothing he could do about it! i asked if getting an off-air antenna would let me get all those channels' HD programming, and he said he wasnt sure. He said go to a place like BB and ask them. so was the csr just telling me that, or would i really have to get an off-air antenna? or is there something else i can do? i need to fix it by february 6!! (super bowl, duh)

I'm in the same boat. Only I can't even get off air because the hills, (Dublin/San Ramon), block the signal from Mt Sutro. I hope you get a resolution. I filed for the NBC waiver months ago... still no NBC HD.

Apparently very few have been able to get the NBC west coast feed from D* in the Bay Area. Depending on where you live, you may need waivers from either or both the Sacramento and Salinas NBC affiliates, as well as KNTV. KNTV is no problem, but from what I have read, the other stations are not granting them. As to Fox, since the local station is not owned and operated by Fox, D* cannot supply you with the network feed at all. You may wish to review comments on the Yahoo groups forum "HDTV-in-the-Bay-Area".

Honestly you are better off getting HD programming off the air. If you get an OTA antenna (the RCA silver sensor seems to work for most with descent LOS to SF) just point it towards Sutro tower, and you should get everything, save NBC. I think you might be inshared territory in between Sacramento and San Jose, depending on where you are. Might try calling back and explaining the KNTV/11 is a Owned and operated station, so you should get the HD feed. HD programming off the air is uncompressed, as where its well compressed on D*.

you can "move" find a address in the new york it can be any address once you find a address call directv tell them you want to change your service address but keep your billing address the same and there you go you now have abc,nbc,cbs,fox for free.

jaberocs said:
He said go to a place like BB and ask them. so was the csr just telling me that, or would i really have to get an off-air antenna? or is there something else i can do? i need to fix it by february 6!! (super bowl, duh)

I wouldn't go to BB and ask anything and expect any knowledgable answer. You should be able to get OTA reception with an indoor antenna as suggested in the previous post.

lee espinoza said:
you can "move" find a address in the new york it can be any address once you find a address call directv tell them you want to change your service address but keep your billing address the same and there you go you now have abc,nbc,cbs,fox for free.

You could also move to LA & do the same thing... ;) ;)

yeah i talked to somebody in the eligibility department, and they said there was nothing they could do about fox. for nbc, they requested a waiver

so if i were to get the OTA antenna, which channels would the local HD stuff be on? would it be on 88, 89, etc.?

or if i were to try the "moving" thing, what if i need them to service something? my address would be incorrect. is the "moving" method popular and proven to work?

thanks again

jaberocs said:
so if i were to get the OTA antenna, which channels would the local HD stuff be on? would it be on 88, 89, etc.?

For OTA, you get the channels at the same number as their analog channel: Fox KTVU is 2-1, NBC KNTV is either 12-1 or 48-2. You may have to rotate the antenna for the NBC stations, since 12-1 comes from south of San Jose, and 48-2 from the east bay. KNTV will move to a new location at Mt San Bruno in a few months.

so there's really no way for me to get 80 (CBSE), 82 (NBCE), 83 (NBCW), 86 (ABCE), 88 (FOXE), and 89 (FOXW)? just because i live in san francisco, a large TV market? i cant get the east coast feeds?

so in order to get my local fox and nbc (since i have the HD cbs west and HD abc west) in HD i need to get an off-air antenna?

dang i wanted those east coast feeds...:(

just called the eligibility dept. no way they could add fox and nbc HD. only way i could get it is the off-air antenna. but theyll be launching 2 satellites dedicated for HD, but im sure you guys knew about that long time ago :)

yes "moving" does work i am doing it right now, if you need something service "move" back that what i do.

called the FCC

I recieved a waiver this morning from my local FOX station (ktvu) and forwarded it to DTV, I understand from the other forums that I'm wasting my time. Am I correct in stating that before december 16th you could have had FOX's LA HD feed? Anyway I called the FCC today to get clarification on the law. I'll let you all know what I'm told when I hear back from them! I WANT THE SUPERBOWL IN HD!!!!! :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts