No Fox Sports on Dish, so thinking about switching. Have questions though.

olfenite

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
Hi there, long time Dish customer who has generally been happy with their service, but between losing HBO and now losing Fox Sports I think it might be the last straw. However, I have some questions.

First off, I want to ask about local channels. My CBS is owned by Nexstar, and from my understanding there is a contract dispute. I do have a nice antenna outside and can pick up my local CBS (KLST). Right now I have the Hopper with sling from Dish and I have an OTA adapter so I can view antenna channels on all of my televisions. I'm unable to run an antenna cable to one of my televisions so this has been an absolute lifesaver to have it go through the Hopper.

I've read that Directv has a similar adapter here on this forum, but apparently it is difficult to obtain? Is it only for customers who are affected by contract disputes? I would fall under that category, but I wonder if being a new customer would make any difference? Also, does every receiver have to have the adapter or can the main receiver send it to all receivers throughout the house?

Second question regards NFL Red Zone. I am a fantasy football junky. I love this channel. I remember several years ago that I read that Red Zone requires Sunday Ticket subscription. Is this still the case?

Third. I am still familiarizing myself with the Directv equipment. As mentioned earlier, one of my televisions does not have any wiring to it and uses a wireless Joey. Does Directv have a wireless receiver option? Will I be able to see the antenna channels on it?

Fourth, when my dad comes over I let him watch RFD-TV which comes in HD on Dish but apparently does not come in HD on Directv. Any chance that an HD feed will be added in the future? This is probably the least important issue for me, but I still would prefer it being HD if possible.

Fifth, I am a AT&T wireless customer. Do I get any discounts/perks for being subscribed to both?

Lastly, is there anything else I need to know before I switch? I want to give Dish a week or two to try to get their act together, but if the HBO and Univision blackouts taught me anything it's to not hold my breath.

I believe there are discount for D* and att wireless ...

Every time I call D* they ask if I have an att cell phone

I think there was a promo $15 off + hbo for life if u have att wireless + D*

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

D* does have wireless STBs but I'm not exactly sure which equipment is compatible.

I do know the antenna device, LCC, does NOT work with Genie 2

Hopefully someone can answer your other questions...

Also usually for new customers NFL ST is free for 1st year /season

I switched in May and the gave me $300 in Gift cards AND a year of HBO for free, And free NFL this fall.
I would say make sure they list the $300 in writing or order online so you have proof if you can.
Almost make sure they waive the $19.95 install fee which is free ordering on line.

All this promos help make uo for the big price increase on year Two , when comparing you need to compare the cost over Two years.

HARDWARE
======
Get the HR54 , it is more rock solid than the Hopper, never any issues.
I hear the Genie 2 might have some issues
Also dont go wireless, both Dish and DIrectv are subject to radio wave interference, not a Dish or Directv issues, but it makes customers think it is their fault.
Getting them hard wired is solid NEVER any issues to the Genies or Joeys.

Tips on how to get the $300 visa giftcard
==========
The $300 promos have been online also at Costco (google searching Directv $300) and via US Mail. You can also call and try and get it.
Sometimes the promo is just a $100 Visa, its all based on your address AND you as if DIrectv knows you have Dish you get the $300 visa

Cost Savings all for free, to off set year 2
======
$300 Gift card
$19.95 install feee waived
$180 HBO for a year
$80 free other movie channels for 3 months
$300 NFL package in fall
$150 One free 4K geni mini box

Dish may not have the Fox RSN's, but you can always stream them.

I believe only if you get an online package of channels that includes yours. Here is the list according to Fox, that would include Sling normally.

Hulu With Live TV costs just $44.99 with a free trial for new customers. Not only will you get your RSN.

PlayStation Vue starts at $49.99 a month and offers a 5-day free trial with Fox RSN included.

YouTube TV is just $49.99 and includes most locals including Fox RSN.

DIRECTV NOW starts at $50 a month. You can also get a 7-day free trial to test out the service before you pay.

I believe only if you get an online package of channels that includes yours. Here is the list according to Fox, that would include Sling normally.

Hulu With Live TV costs just $44.99 with a free trial for new customers. Not only will you get your RSN.

PlayStation Vue starts at $49.99 a month and offers a 5-day free trial with Fox RSN included.

YouTube TV is just $49.99 and includes most locals including Fox RSN.

DIRECTV NOW starts at $50 a month. You can also get a 7-day free trial to test out the service before you pay.

Exactly... Grab a free trial and then decide whether it's worth a month's subscription if the outage lasts that long. Either way, it beats the time and aggravation of changing providers.

HARDWARE
======
Get the HR54 , it is more rock solid than the Hopper, never any issues.
I hear the Genie 2 might have some issues
Also dont go wireless, both Dish and DIrectv are subject to radio wave interference, not a Dish or Directv issues, but it makes customers think it is their fault.
Getting them hard wired is solid NEVER any issues to the Genies or Joeys.

I agree on the HR54 as the choice for D*, but both it and the Hopper are very stable in my experience. I also wanted to second the opinion concerning wireless. Hardwire your clients if at all possible.

RfD is HD on D*

Here is a screen shot from my slingbox
Screenshot_20190729-085849_SlingPlayer.jpg

Also OP, not sure if u have 4K ... but D* is the current 4K sports leader in USA.

They not only have FS1 events in 4k .. they also have NBC EPL soccer events , noter dame college football games , multiple golf events , and NBA games in 4k

I agree on the HR54 as the choice for D*, but both it and the Hopper are very stable in my experience. I also wanted to second the opinion concerning wireless. Hardwire your clients if at all possible.
I switched to D* two years ago. I went with the wireless clients for the flexibility of moving them from room to room. No regrets.

I switched to D* two years ago. I went with the wireless clients for the flexibility of moving them from room to room. No regrets.

That is good to hear. Normally we only hear about the people who don't have a good experience with their hardware.

As are my Daughter's wireless Joeys. She takes one out on the porch now where they have a small TV because they spend alot of time there after work in the Summer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts