No Go with D*... DishNetwork Possible?

Hi Ho

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
I attempted to have DirecTV installed today but the installer was unable to get LOS for all five satellites because of trees. According to Dishpointer the Dish satellites are more to the south/soutwest than DirecTVs. Looking at the map, it looks like it *might* work.

For the Dish HD channels is the "Dish 1000" selection on Dishpointer the proper one? Are there only three satellites that I would need to get (110, 119, 129)?

D* uses 99/101/103/110/119 for their satellites and you know that E* also uses 110/119. So not knowing which D* satellites their installer said he had no LOS to you might also be SOL for E*.

Sorry, forgot to put my location in my profile. I am in Washington State zip code 98592.

You would probably want 2 separate dishes. One for 110,119 and another larger dish for 129 as the pacific northwest has problems with 129 and most people prefer a larger dish for 129.

Will the Dish installer be able to do that?

Edit: I just called Dish and they said they would bring two dishes. Hopefully that will eliminate my LOS problems!

Dish is coming on Saturday. I would like to do a little work ahead of time. How many lines need to go to the Dish DVR? The DirecTV DVR needed two lines. Also, I would like to leave room for a second receiver in the future. Does that require more lines from the dishes or do they just use splitters?

If they use a Dish 1000 they should only need one line, and you a DPP Separater.
You will need another line from the dish or switch for addtional receivers.

One line per dvr. They have a splitter for the dual tuner dvr's. If your running the coax it's always better to run extra in my opinion for a spare etc. Remember treat your installer well and you should get a good clean install and a little tip doesn't hurt either. Good luck and welcome to SatelliteGuys.

Dish is coming on Saturday. I would like to do a little work ahead of time. How many lines need to go to the Dish DVR? The DirecTV DVR needed two lines. Also, I would like to leave room for a second receiver in the future. Does that require more lines from the dishes or do they just use splitters?

1 line to the DVR. Although if you want to run 2, you can have 1 be dedicated to the tv2 eliminating the need for diplexing. As regards adding more in the future, no they will not use splitters. Splitters do not work with sat systems since they operate in a different way than passive systems like cable or antennas. They would have another line from the dish or the switch for each receiver. Hope that helps! And welcome! :)

One line per dvr. They have a splitter for the dual tuner dvr's. If your running the coax it's always better to run extra in my opinion for a spare etc. Remember treat your installer well and you should get a good clean install and a little tip doesn't hurt either. Good luck and welcome to SatelliteGuys.

They don't use a splitter. It's a seperator.

He is going to be putting up 2 dishes, so the installer may not use a dpp twin and a dual, it may possibly be a dp34 in which case you would need 2 lines from the dish to the dvr.

If you want to be save and prepared I would run 4, 2 for the dish, one for the over the air antenna ,if available and 1 for a backfeed from the tv2 output to any other tvs.

It may be overkill, but if you are going to do it anyway and have the extra cable, I would add the extra runs.

He is going to be putting up 2 dishes, so the installer may not use a dpp twin and a dual, it may possibly be a dp34 in which case you would need 2 lines from the dish to the dvr.

If you want to be save and prepared I would run 4, 2 for the dish, one for the over the air antenna ,if available and 1 for a backfeed from the tv2 output to any other tvs.

It may be overkill, but if you are going to do it anyway and have the extra cable, I would add the extra runs.

True. It's better to be prepared.

I have one more question as I await the Dish installer tommorrow morning. Do I absolutely need a phone line in order to setup the Dish receiver (722)? Can the ethernet port be used in it's place? I don't have a phone line anywhere near my TV and I don't think I have a long enough phone cord to reach. I have a several extra connections on a network hub.

I have one more question as I await the Dish installer tommorrow morning. Do I absolutely need a phone line in order to setup the Dish receiver (722)? Can the ethernet port be used in it's place? I don't have a phone line anywhere near my TV and I don't think I have a long enough phone cord to reach. I have a several extra connections on a network hub.

No, if you have a way to connect the 722 to your router, you're fine.

Success! The Dish installer came today (I had the date wrong) and I now have Dish! I am very impressed so far. The DVR is very nice and responsive. The picture quality is outstanding! The installer said that the DirecTV guy didn't know what he was talking about and he was able to get a very good signal for all sats. I even got my old directional roof antenna up and running and it picks up my local Fox affilliate in HD with no problems. :D

Now I have a question. I only ordered Dish for my one HDTV and not for the other two sets in the house. I'm thinking that I may want Dish on the other sets. Is this something I can do myself? How much would a 2 TV receiver cost?

I am aware that the receiver I have is capable of running two sets. However, that eliminates the dual tuner DVR ability for the main one and that is something I do not want to do.

EDIT: OK, the post that I was responding to with this one has disapeared. :confused:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)