No Guide Info For OTA Channels

JayPSU

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 22, 2006
Westerville, Ohio
Last night I setup my OTA module for the Hopper as part of our new install and I'm not getting any guide info for the channels. I'm in the Columbus, OH market. Is there anything I should be doing? I need the OTA setup because due to trees I'm an EA setup and my locals are still only on the 129.

Couple of tips for you. Hopper questions should go in the Hopper forum. In the Hopper forum you can read about things people have discovered and posted about, including your question. It takes a couple of days usually for everything to work on the Hopper after the installation. Even the OTA takes a day or two for full population.

If you do not get sat locals, you will not get any guide data for OTA. Its always been that way with DISH.

If you do not get sat locals, you will not get any guide data for OTA. Its always been that way with DISH.
Beep, wrong answer. You get LIL if E* carries them. So even if you don't see the sat that the sat locals are on. You will still get the info to fill in the OTA. What it takes is a download of the guide. Try forcing it w/ a check switch. Go to System Setup then installation and point dish. Run the check switch and when it finishes it should download data. That should download all your guide data.

Beep, wrong answer. You get LIL if E* carries them. So even if you don't see the sat that the sat locals are on. You will still get the info to fill in the OTA. What it takes is a download of the guide. Try forcing it w/ a check switch. Go to System Setup then installation and point dish. Run the check switch and when it finishes it should download data. That should download all your guide data.

Dish uploads guide info for locals to the arc that the locals are on. I'm on Western Arc but I get WVVA (NBC out of Bluefield, WV) over the air, which is only on Eastern arc, so I do not get guide info. Similarly, I get WBRA (PBS out of Roanoke, VA) which is on Western arc (and also one of the local channels I get through Dish) which I do get guide info for.

My answer is CORRECT.
If you do not receive your locals. You will get absolutely no guide data for OTA.

Just to be a little more specific, you can get OTA guide data even for out of market channels without getting the locals from DISH that go with them, as long as you are getting locals via Dish (Not Just AAD) from somewhere, but as posted you do need to be receiving locals.

My answer is CORRECT.
If you do not receive your locals. You will get absolutely no guide data for OTA.
I've been wrong once before and remember it. So I guess I could be wrong here. But I thought that if you get the download from either arc you locals would download. But it may be that you have to get the arc that your locals are in to get the info. I have a hybrid system that has 4 dishes that get 61.5, 110, 119, 129. So my locals come down off sat 61.5.

Can anybody confirm or deny the claims above, that the guide data is arc-specific? That is news to me.

This is confirmed.
The guide data is satellite specific.
If I disconnect 110 & 129 from my WA system I get no data for the OTA since I am not receiving the sat LIL.
On my EA system again I have no guide date for my OTA since I am not receiving the sats with the LIL.

Just to clarify, it's only ARC specific in that the locals have to be on the ARC you are getting. If the locals you get are only on the WA, then the guide data won't be on the EA, why would it be? However, if the locals are on both ARC's, then you will get guide data from either one.

Where it gets a little confusing, lets say you get locals from city A on the EA, but your locals are on both ARC's. If you go city B, and use the WA, you will get the guide data for the OTA channels in city B, even though you can not get your locals because of the spotbeam. The key is your locals have to be on the ARC you are using.

Well said Tampa. This happened to me at my old apartment. Had to use an OTA since I had NLOS for WA and did not receive guide information even though I was still subscribed to the Denver locals.

So, hmm... I think this means that the Satelliteguys Uplink Center could be missing info, if it's only on one arc or the other.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)