No HD... Help me....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

lilmaniac2

Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
USA
I am a complete n00b when it comes to buying equipment, and what goes with what and what works with what.

I know the terms, i know how to connect things mostly, but this one has me stumped.

I have the receiver and this dish with Directv SL3K4NR1-03 4 Outputs pictured below
photo.JPGphoto(1).JPG

I cannot dial in HD channels, From what I remember I can't find 103 or 99 ( i may be wrong here ) and if I attach the BBC I don't see anything.

I'm thinking at the very least I need to purchase new lnb that is able to tune in 5 sats, and I may have to purchase a new dish. Anybody able to help me out here?

I can provide any more info that I missed, but I just need some direction from somebody who knows alot more than me.

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

Let's start at the beginning! Is your mast plumb? This is very important! Go to www.dishpointer.com and put in your address and change the satellite to multi-sat Directv 99,101, 103. This will give you the numbers for azimuth, elevation, and skew. Set your receiver/dvr to the 101 signal strength screen and see if you have any signal. Leave the bolts loose enough to move the dish without it flopping around. Move the dish a little at a time until you do. Give the box enough time to register any changes. Once you get numbers around 80-85, you are getting close. Push gently on the back of the dish on all four "corners" to see which way it needs to move and make the necessary changes. This should get you even better numbers. When they are mostly in the 90s you have 101 all set. Then check the 99c and 103ca and 103cb signals and repeat the previous procedure except when you adjust the dish use the little dithering knobs for the fine adjustments. Good luck and come on back if you need more help.

So are you saying that the setup I currently have is capable of picking up the HD channels? I worked about 6 hours on trying to dial in the dish initially before giving up on getting the hd channels to come in The 3 dishes that I do have dialed in are in the upper 90's for signal strength, I can get exact #'s when I get home from work. However, when I did the initial setup I did not have a BBC installed. Now when I add the BBC converter in I have nothing coming through. Should I attempt to get a new BBC and retry?

What three dishes are you refering to ?
The Slimline you have should work fine for you.
In your first post you said you couldn't get the 99 or 103 Sat's, do you have a solid signal on the 101 already ? 90's ?

I suspect that by three dishes he means three satellites (99, 101, and 103).

As was stated it is very important that the mast be plumb. Then the skew and elevation set according to the location.
Then comes the azimuth.

Also, what DVR is being used? If it's the HR23 it doesn't need the BBCs.

Just checked my settings and this is what I currently see:

Reciever H21/200

Signal Strength 101 96
Signal Strength 110 94
Signal Strength 119 96
99c Not acquired
99s Not Acquired
103s Not Acquired
103c not Acquired
103cb Not Acquired

From my research I thought I needed BBC's to tune in 99, is that true?
I can adjust my dish if need be, but before I do that I want to make sure my hardware is setup properly.

What kind of dish do I have? SL3?

Just checked my settings and this is what I currently see:

Reciever H21/200

Signal Strength 101 96
Signal Strength 110 94
Signal Strength 119 96
99c Not acquired
99s Not Acquired
103s Not Acquired
103c not Acquired
103cb Not Acquired

From my research I thought I needed BBC's to tune in 99, is that true?
I can adjust my dish if need be, but before I do that I want to make sure my hardware is setup properly.

What kind of dish do I have? SL3?

If you have the SL3 LNB,you shouldn't be able to pick up 110 & 119. The SL3 only picks up 99,101,& 103. The SL5 picks up 110 & 119,along with 99,101,103. All of the HD channels are on 103 satellite. When you so "Satellite set-up",do you have it set up for SL3? Also,if you have the 4-cable out SL3,then yes,you do need to put a BBC between the coaxial cable & receiver. Do you have just the H21 receiver,or do you have a HD DVR which requires 2 coaxial cables hooked up to it?

Why don't you try satellite set-up with the BBC attached already,instead of what sounds like you did the satellite set up first,& then you put the BBC's on. Do SL3 on your set-up,DO NOT do SL3 SWM,which is the 1-cable LNB.

Last edited:
I only have the H21 not DVR

I connected the BBC and changed the setting for SL3. Does my version ( 4 cable out ) have the multiswitch or the SWM?

With the multiswitch selected I have
92 on 101,
81 on 99 ( c) ,
99 on on 99 (s)
25 on 103(s)
Not acquired on 103ca and 103cb

Seems like I am getting close, and I really appreciate you guys help.

In the daylight tomorrow I can try to fine tune the dishes in, can you tell me which version of 103 I need to focus on?

I only have the H21 not DVR

I connected the BBC and changed the setting for SL3. Does my version ( 4 cable out ) have the multiswitch or the SWM?

With the multiswitch selected I have
92 on 101,
81 on 99 ( c) ,
99 on on 99 (s)
25 on 103(s)
Not acquired on 103ca and 103cb

Seems like I am getting close, and I really appreciate you guys help.

In the daylight tomorrow I can try to fine tune the dishes in, can you tell me which version of 103 I need to focus on?

Is multiswitch or SWM the only choices you have? You don't have SWM because that is 1 cable out & you have a power inserter that provides the power to your LNB. With the 4-cable LNB,your receiver provides the power to your LNB. 103ca & 103cb are where the HD channels are located. You have just one of the four cables to your LNB hooked up right,there's no muliswitch in the equation? I ask because if you do have a multiswitch,like theZinwell WB68 http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...)-6x8-Multiswitch-(WB68)&c=Multiswitches&sku= ,you don't need it if you only have one receiver

You'll also have HD channels on the 99 Sat.

Sounds like he has a SL5 dish.

He needs to run the Sat Set up and set it for Multiswitch, NOT SWM.

So got to adjust some on the dish tonight, got some HD channels coming in!!! woohoo

99 is coming in at 80 right now, but everytime I get it tuned in I lose 103. Just gonna take time and get things dialed in I believe.

Your elevation setting could be slightly off. When peaking 99 you are losing 103 and visa versa.
Make sure the skew is right on first.

Got it dialed in, thank you guys so much for your help.

Biggest difference was the correct dish choice and the BBC. although my BBC doesnt seem to screw in properly and I have to tighten it VERY tight to get it to make contact. Can I replace the end on it without causing problems?

Got it dialed in, thank you guys so much for your help.

Biggest difference was the correct dish choice and the BBC. although my BBC doesnt seem to screw in properly and I have to tighten it VERY tight to get it to make contact. Can I replace the end on it without causing problems?

Maybe you can just get a new BBC.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts