No HD locals in Charleston-Huntington area

Status
Please reply by conversation.

just4coco

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2006
With Directv not offering any HD local channels in the Charleston- Huntington Wva. viewing area and Dish offers all four major networks in HD. Why would anyone want to keep Directv in this area?

A lot of people do not like to switch providers.
A lot of people have a contract with DirecTv.
A lot of people do not know that HD Locals are now available on Dish Network.
A lot of people may have already switched from Dish Network having an unpaid balance.
A lot of people do not have high definition packages.

Not only does Dish Network have an advantage with the HD offerings, it is being offered on their HD Eastern Arc service from 61.5 / 72 / 77 which has better line of site than DirecTv satellites have.

I have not set up a OTA. I just keep telling myself soon it will be added to Direct. How long has Dish had HD locals in our area? I am still under contract with Direct but even if I was not I would never go back to Dish. I had real bad service with them. I love Direct. Better quality for "ME" than TimeWarner and Dish.

I fear this has been asked 100 times but is there a date for Direct to get Locals in HD for the Huntington WV/Ashland KY Area? Also for people in the know is there any new HD channels soon to be launched from Direct. Crime TV and Fox NewsHD I found just one day surfing;)

I live in Flatwoods,Ky. and have tried an antenna to receive my locals in HD. But I am not able to pick up anything.

I live in Flatwoods,Ky. and have tried an antenna to receive my locals in HD. But I am not able to pick up anything.

Not sure why not; maybe the wrong antenna for your specific needs or maybe aimed at the wrong heading or maybe a simple setup issue, but from your zip code your affiliates should be fairly easy to tune with the correct equipment and setup. (see chart)

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 196
A reliable DirecTV employee on DBS talk has posted that a West Virginia market will have HD locals added in 2009. That's gotta be Charleston-Huntington.

If I could get OTA I certainly would, but OTA reception here requires a hilltop antenna and 1500 feet of feedline.

I am far enough from the local towers that I qualify for HD DNS from NY, so the lack of locals in HD is no big deal to me. I went for about ten years with no locals at all, and the only thing I watch from the networks now is football.

Not sure why not; maybe the wrong antenna for your specific needs or maybe aimed at the wrong heading or maybe a simple setup issue, but from your zip code your affiliates should be fairly easy to tune with the correct equipment and setup. (see chart)
Address
Put in his zip, chose digital stations only, looks like red zone antenna for all but PBS. I'm not aware of any "indoor" antenna that would work for this. Take a Channel Master 4224, put it in a closet, as long as it is aimed properly, I believe it should work for all but CW, which is at 319 degrees until Feb 17, when it moves to 98 degrees.

With Directv not offering any HD local channels in the Charleston- Huntington Wva. viewing area and Dish offers all four major networks in HD. Why would anyone want to keep Directv in this area?
The obvious, most people don't have HDTV's.

Address
Put in his zip, chose digital stations only, looks like red zone antenna for all but PBS. I'm not aware of any "indoor" antenna that would work for this. Take a Channel Master 4224, put it in a closet, as long as it is aimed properly, I believe it should work for all but CW, which is at 319 degrees until Feb 17, when it moves to 98 degrees.

Who said indoor? I said correct antenna. I think most user think they can just attach anything in any manner; they don't know they need the correct antenna that is also aimed correctly.

Who said indoor? I said correct antenna. I think most user think they can just attach anything in any manner; they don't know they need the correct antenna that is also aimed correctly.

Sorry, did not mean it as a slight to your post, just seems like many are only willing/able to try indoor, and fully agree with your "most users think..." comment. Correct many times means outdoor.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)