No HD Locals With Trav'ler RV Dish

az99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 27, 2014
I switched from DirecTv to Dish and need to change my Winegard Travler over to Dishnet. I know the 2 parts I need to do it for WA sats but now found out that there are no HD locals on the 110 for Phila. locals. The Phila. HD locals are on 61.5 sat but Winegard for some reason does not offer a EA package for the Travler.

Has anyone run into this and what was the solution?

Thanx

He's talking about the switch configuration in the winegard. Your best bet, is going to be get the x2 pathway. It gets EA and you can have up to 2 211's on it.

There are several incarnations of the Trav'ler. On the DIRECTV side of things there's a Phase III version (Ku only, SK-3003), a Slimline 5 version (SK-3005) and a SWiMline 3 version (SK-SWM3).

Unless Winegard (with the cooperation of DISH) comes up with an EA solution, you're stuck with using a different setup when you're in range of the Philly spot beam.

It sounds like you know how to convert your DirecTV Travler to a DISH version. Once the conversion is done you'll not only have access to the Western arc sats (110, 119, 129), but also to Eastern arc sat 61.5.

You can use the Manual mode on a DISH Travler to get sat 61.5.

I am current aiming my SK1000 Trav'ler at satellite 61.5 in manual mode and am getting HD Locals in the Harrisburg area. I do lose out on what is carried on satellite 72.7.

It was a choice: HD Locals or more movies.

I did not want to lose 1/2 the EA sats to get locals. :)

I was hoping someone knew a way to adapt to the EA LNB set and trick the dish into working. If the dish can be manually set to 61.5 is there any chance of also getting the 72.7 sat with the correct LNB since the skew in this part of the country is 87º ?

I don't want to use a portable dish of any kind. In a few locations I could pickup locals OTA, but not many.

One time I set up for satellite 61.5 manually and satellite 72.7 was picked up but would pass the Switch Check. The spread is 11.2 degrees for the satellites while the LNBFs are 9 degrees apart. On the edge.

The DPP 1000.4 reflector for the EA is larger than the DPP 1000.2 WA dish which is what the SK1000 Trav'ler has. So it isn't just a case of LNBF head change.

If the Trav'ler could have a DPP 1000.4 reflector installed, then perhaps the EA head could be installed. That is a big IF.

The EA sats work with a 1000.2 dish. That is how the Dish installer setup my neighbors. They just put the 2 head LNB on for 61.5 and 72.7

There are kits to change the 1000.2 WA to 1000.2 Turbo EA. The problem will be with the Trav'ler Controller. In multi-satellite mode, it locks on 119/110/129. In Manual mode, it will lock on a selected satellite but it won't set the skew.

So I would say your options are to deal with the limitation of just using satellite 61.5 or put up a ground tripod with an EA dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)