No HD Nationals with Welcome Pack?

Chad is right. There is no rational business case analysis that would lead Dish to remove SD channels.

Eliminating sd channels would enable a provider to get rid of sd replacement equipment and parts from inventory. A pretty good savings in the long run. It would also free up more bandwith for things that could generate more income like PPC, VOD and even 4K or glasses-free 3d.

Chad also mentioned people who only have a tv with a rf-input. Lets look at this logically. How many people have as their main tv a set that only has a rf input, then how many of those people pay for tv from a cable or satellite provider, and then how many of those people couldn't afford a cheap used set off of craigslist, or have a friend or relative give them an upgraded set. That group must be pretty tiny. Let's be honest you're never going to get 100% happiness, no matter what decision is made.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
If I were to guess, it would be the long term customers who are elder. I would put that number in the 250k range. Could be higher, but now to deplete their Sd inventory would be a bad thing depending on their inventory. They do not manufacture new SD equipment, so if they run out you get a 211 to replace your 311 when it needs replaced. But if they just wrote off say $3m in SD equipment to offer just 211, especially after still trying to get rid of legacy equipment, start working on that finance nightmare. It's like bragging about having the greatest gas powered stove, in an area that does not have gas lines. Just useless and a waste of money.

Epix has been available in MPEG 2 from the begining on Epix 3 - Drive Inn. (now Drive Inn not Epix 3) When the others became available in SD they too were in MPEG 2 and remain so. (WA)

I beleive you. I'm a little behind the times. I'm guessing about 2012ish? I know the drive in(wasn't it named something else before), has always been MPEG2 and in the 250 pckage.

I can't remember when the SD was added. Drive Inn did have a different name, maybe just a number for a name? Haven't had reason to look recently but the Drive Inn was only on three carriers at one time.

Epix 1 and sometimes epix 2 are worth the purchase. Those were always my two pushing points for the pckage sells. They truly do have he best movies for those looking for movies. And it's cheap to. $7 was a steal!!!

Dish should remove all sd stations, its 2014. Just offer HD standard, nothing special about HD anymore.

DISH would LOVE to do that, but its the programmers who will not let them do that. For some of them they are getting paid twice for the same channel, once in SD and again for the HD version.

It always comes down to the programmers, but the MVPDs get the blame.

Except for auditing practices. ;)

Chad also mentioned people who only have a tv with a rf-input. Lets look at this logically. How many people have as their main tv a set that only has a rf input, then how many of those people pay for tv from a cable or satellite provider, and then how many of those people couldn't afford a cheap used set off of craigslist, or have a friend or relative give them an upgraded set. That group must be pretty tiny.

Sounds like you're just making it up as you go. Why do you think that group must be "tiny"? Many people have rf-only, cable or satellite connected TVs that have no idea what craigslist even is (see...I can make it up also :D ). My 85-year old mother is one of them, but I can come up with more than a dozen in my extended family off the top of my head. A lot of these (...again, making it up), if forced into a HD upgrade would just pick up the phone & call the cable company.

I'm sure Dish has a bunch of smart people running alternatives through spreadsheets considering how and when to proceed with transitioning from SD to HD, and they aren't making it up.

You have to realize that folks you see on the internet & on forums like this are a self-selected sample that in no way (yet) mirror the public at large.

Sounds like you're just making it up as you go. Why do you think that group must be "tiny"? Many people have rf-only, cable or satellite connected TVs that have no idea what craigslist even is (see...I can make it up also :D ). My 85-year old mother is one of them, but I can come up with more than a dozen in my extended family off the top of my head. A lot of these (...again, making it up), if forced into a HD upgrade would just pick up the phone & call the cable company.

I'm sure Dish has a bunch of smart people running alternatives through spreadsheets considering how and when to proceed with transitioning from SD to HD, and they aren't making it up.

You have to realize that folks you see on the internet & on forums like this are a self-selected sample that in no way (yet) mirror the public at large.

Learn how to read, I never said to force people into a HD upgrade. HD boxes down rez the signal to SD just fine via composite. And that group that I talked about must be tiny, simply by the fact that tv's that only have a rf input are ancient and most likely are secondary or tertiary sets. So all of these people in your extended family have rf input only tv's as their main set, and can't afford to upgrade via craigslist? WOW, the economy is in worse shape than I thought.

Reactions: Stargazer
Dish Network still supplies RF Modulators for those that need them free of charge during installation.

With no more SD televisions being made, eventually there will be very few SD televisions working.

And that group that I talked about must be tiny, simply by the fact that tv's that only have a rf input are ancient and most likely are secondary or tertiary sets. So all of these people in your extended family have rf input only tv's as their main set, and can't afford to upgrade via craigslist? WOW, the economy is in worse shape than I thought.

Sounds like you're making it up again. References? Again you insist on assuming that the whole of the US TV watching population is represented by the folks you see on line.

Personally, I would love to have more HD bandwidth; have 2 HDTVs (and one old CRT), and pretty much refuse to watch non-HD channels. But you have no idea what most people have.... (nor do I).

And it doesn't matter what people have, since it has already been mentioned that Dish will supply rf modulators when needed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts