No HD on ESPN2 Alternate channel?

HawksFan74

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2017
North Idaho
I live in Idaho, and according to information I found online, I will get Saturday's Texas Tech/Oklahoma game on my local ABC station. But, if I want to watch Georgia Tech/Clemson, it will be on ESPN2 "Alternate" channel 146 in SD only. Is this really the case? I'm a relatively new Dish customer, so I haven't experienced this before, but is this a Dish issue or an ESPN issue? I'm assuming it's Dish, because back when I had cable, the ESPN2 game was always shown in HD in these situations. And according to the maps, DTV has both games in HD as well.

So if the GT/Clemson game is truly SD only, my next question is why? This is 2017 for cryin' out loud! Who wants to watch a football game (or anything else for that matter) in lousy SD? I've noticed that the SEC, BTN, and PAC-12 networks all have HD alternate channels, but not ESPN2? WTH?

Oh, and one more thing - I don't even see a channel 146 in my guide. Will it magically show up on Saturday?

I live in Idaho, and according to information I found online, I will get Saturday's Texas Tech/Oklahoma game on my local ABC station. But, if I want to watch Georgia Tech/Clemson, it will be on ESPN2 "Alternate" channel 146 in SD only. Is this really the case? I'm a relatively new Dish customer, so I haven't experienced this before, but is this a Dish issue or an ESPN issue? I'm assuming it's Dish, because back when I had cable, the ESPN2 game was always shown in HD in these situations. And according to the maps, DTV has both games in HD as well.

So if the GT/Clemson game is truly SD only, my next question is why? This is 2017 for cryin' out loud! Who wants to watch a football game (or anything else for that matter) in lousy SD? I've noticed that the SEC, BTN, and PAC-12 networks all have HD alternate channels, but not ESPN2? WTH?

Oh, and one more thing - I don't even see a channel 146 in my guide. Will it magically show up on Saturday?
Might be in the alt hd sports channel range..scroll thru and look for the game..it won't be labeled ESPN

P.S. I wanted to post images/links to the ESPN maps I was referring to, but apparently this site thinks it is spam. The coverage maps can be found here: espnmediazone dot com /us/college-football-maps/

I think the map is wrong with the channel number. The guide is showing the GT/Clemson on regular ESPN 2 channel 143.
That's interesting. On my guide, channel 143 shows "Georgia Tech at Clemson or Texas Tech at Oklahoma." It also says that program is blacked out in my area.

This was a problem back when I was a Dish customer several years ago. On some weekends ESPN decides to air the same game on ABC in some parts of the country and ESPN 2 in other parts of the country. Everyone gets both games but whether the game you want to watch is on ABC or ESPN2 is decided based on where you live.

The reason this wasn't an issue for you when you had cable is because cable is regional. Your local cable company would just put the proper game for your region on ESPN2 and not have to mess with ALT channels. The other game would be on your local ABC channel.

Since Dish and Directv are provided by satellite and the same for everyone in the country they aren't able to change what appears on ESPN2 based on where you live. Instead they cover everyone by using ESPN2 and an ESPN2 ALT channel. If the game that everyone else is getting on ESPN2 is carried by ABC in your area they have to blackout the main ESPN2 channel and give you the second game on ESPN2 ALT.

ESPN2 ALT has never been offered in HD on Dish as far as I know. It certainly wasn't when I was a Dish customer because I have been in the exact same situation you are in now. You are correct in that ESPN provides both feeds in HD to other providers. This is either on Dish for choosing not to broadcast ESPN2 ALT in HD or they have some weird contract detail with ESPN that doesn't allow them to.

If you have a streaming device like a Roku, Apple TV, or video game console you will be able to download the WatchESPN app, login with your Dish credentials, and watch the game in HD that way. That was my solution when this affected me.

If you have a streaming device like a Roku, Apple TV, or video game console you will be able to download the WatchESPN app, login with your Dish credentials, and watch the game in HD that way.
I do have a Roku with the ESPN app installed, so I know how to get the game that way. Just not very convenient if I want to switch back and forth between games.

That's interesting. On my guide, channel 143 shows "Georgia Tech at Clemson or Texas Tech at Oklahoma." It also says that program is blacked out in my area.

I'm looking via Dishanywhere at the moment and it just has GT/Clemson. It probably says or TTech/OU on the receiver if that's what your seeing. Dish has been lazy only providing the espn ALTs in SD for years. Another drawback for Dish :( that needs to change.

I'm looking via Dishanywhere at the moment and it just has GT/Clemson. It probably says or TTech/OU on the receiver if that's what your seeing. Dish has been lazy only providing the espn ALTs in SD for years. Another drawback for Dish :( that needs to change.

You can watching on ESPN's streaming app. There are work arounds.

Just to follow up on this, after an update this morning, my guide is now showing Texas Tech/Oklahoma on my local ABC station and also on ESPN2 channel 143, with channel 143 being blacked out in my area. Georgia Tech/Clemson will be on ESPN Alt channel 144 in Standard Def only. Still don't understand why Dish can't figure out a way to provide an HD feed for this game. It appears that the TCU/Iowa St game at 3:30 ET is being given the same treatment as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts