No HD signal - upgrade receiver?

bosox0192

Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Connecticut
recently found this site and find it very useful - looking for some advice - i've been a DISH subscriber for just over a year - just got an HDTV with hopes of getting an HD package but tech. out to install second dish couldn't get HD signal (trees) - he said it would still be worth it ($20 per month) to get a 211 receiver (instead of 311) and get a few HD channels and overall better reception - how many channels should I expect to get in HD? - i subscribe to America's Top 120/locals - and will i get better reception on SD channels with a 211?

If you can't get visibility to the 129 or 61.5 satellites, then the HD available from Dish might not be worth the $20/month. But if you really like ESPN-HD, Discovery HD, HDNET and HDNET Movies, it might be.

If you're close enough to the the digital towers, and your TV has a digital (ATSC) tuner, then you might be able to scan for local HD without a Dish HD receiver.

I've had the 211 for a year now, and as I remember, the SD doesn't look any better than it did on the 311 or 811 receivers that I had, on my 65" RPHD.

There are no HD channels in the AT200 but with an OTA TV antenna the locals may be available to you through the 211. The 211 also should upconvert the SD channels to give you a HDMI connection to your HDTV set. You don't give you city and state but from Bosox I would guess the Boston area so you have the 129 and 61.5 as possible locations for HDTV signals. Are you treed out from both satellite locations?

i'm in Shelton, CT - get NYC locals with my DISH sub. - with rabbit ears on new HDTV i get strong signal from one CT local so i may consider an OTA antenna - the DISH install tech. tried several locations on roof without any luck getting second signal - he did say in the future more HD content might become available from the satellite that i am accessing - not sure which one that is - i am most interested in getting sports in HD.

If you can't get visibility to the 129 or 61.5 satellites, then the HD available from Dish might not be worth the $20/month. But if you really like ESPN-HD, Discovery HD, HDNET and HDNET Movies, it might be.

does anyone know exactly which channels would come in HD (ESPN2, NFL Network, TNT?) without visibility to those satelllites?

does anyone know exactly which channels would come in HD (ESPN2, NFL Network, TNT?) without visibility to those satelllites?

ESPN
TNT
Discovery
HDNET
HDNET movies
ESPN2
NFL
HBO
Showtime
Universal

are all on the 110 satellite.

One warning: They may not let you sign up for the $20 HD pack if you can't see 61.5/129. I think I remember reading about that before.
And if they don't, they may charge you an HD access fee just for the priviledge of using one of their HD receivers to pick up over-the-air local HD. One of the experts around here may be able to speak more about this (confirm or deny)

ESPN
TNT
Discovery
HDNET
HDNET movies
ESPN2
NFL
HBO
Showtime
Universal

are all on the 110 satellite.
I look to Tony's chart at the EKB as my guide on Dish channels: ESPN2-HD, NFL-HD, and Universal-HD are only on 61.5 and 129. But, the HD Events channel and HD PPV are on 110.

I look to Tony's chart at the EKB as my guide on Dish channels: ESPN2-HD, NFL-HD, and Universal-HD are only on 61.5 and 129. But, the HD Events channel and HD PPV are on 110.

Oops! That's right. I inadvertantly pulled the info from the alaska spotbeam on 110. Didn't look as carefully as I should have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts