No locals - need guidance in changing service address

Status
Please reply by conversation.

waid10

Original poster
Dec 3, 2008
Hi. Newbie to this forum. I live in Harrisonburg, VA (about 2 hours SW of DC) and am apparently in one of the few places that still can't get local channels through DTV (although CBS and Fox are offered locally as of Jan 2008 if you upgrade your equipment, which I haven't done b/c they will charge me for that, and it won't solve my NBC problem). I don't care so much about the local channels as I do NBC not granting my waiver request. The other 3 networks granted the waivers after many attempts over the past two years. NBC (I think its in Charlottesville) has refused. To watch Sunday night football, I have to switch the tiny TV in my bedroom to antenna and then watch a grainy feed of the game. It's quite ridiculous.

I have read other blogs about changing your service address to a different location. Has anyone done this recently? I would assume I should use an address close to DC for this. How do I figure out where to use as an address? I don't really understand the spot beams and transponders.

Thanks for any help.

The search function here is your best friend... ;) ;)

Yeah, I found some good stuff searching around. However, I am not sure what address or where to pick. I was thinking somewhere around DC. Also, I currently just have SD service (and SD TVs in my house). But I am thinking about upgrading to HD TVs. I assume (maybe incorrectly) I will need different equipment (I have had the same DTV equipment since signing up over a couple of years ago). Will DTV have to come out to my "service address" if I make the jump to HD service? Not sure how to handle that with a fake address. Or would the only change in equipment be HD receivers, which wouldn't need a service call?

Will DTV have to come out to my "service address" if I make the jump to HD service? Not sure how to handle that with a fake address. Or would the only change in equipment be HD receivers, which wouldn't need a service call?

Sorry, either whether they come out or send it out, they'll have to do either to your service address.
Your best bet would be to get everything upgraded FIRST, wait a couple weeks, THEN change your service addy.

waid10- Not sure where you are (I am in Massanutten) but your best bet for NBC would be an outdoor antenna, even a small one, the repeater for channel 29 is on top of ski slopes here in Massanutten. If you can see the mountain you'll see the towers, or just aim in that direction

you can use this link also-------- www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

Last edited:
waid10- Not sure where you are (I am in Massanutten) but your best bet for NBC would be an outdoor antenna, even a small one, the repeater for channel 29 is on top of ski slopes here in Massanutten. If you can see the mountain you'll see the towers, or just aim in that direction

you can use this link also-------- www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

Thanks. I am on the east side of Harrisonburg (within the city limits). Is the antenna really the best option? In the day and age of satellite signals, it drives me crazy that I will have to use an antenna to get NBC.

Harrisonburg locals are supposed to go HD sometime between now and FEB 09 but I am not sure if 29 is amoung them

My issue isn't an HD versus SD issue. I don't get NBC at all with DTV. And I don't even care about getting the local version. I just want NBC out of somewhere, even it means changing my service address to close to DC.

So does anyone know how far away I can "move"? I am in Harrisonburg, VA and am thinking of "moving" to Alexandria, VA (about 2 hours northeast). Would that work?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts