No locals on oval phase 3 w D12-100

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dcavaiani

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2009
WI
Using 211/35/70 per the setup prompt. Getting high 90's for 101 with both odd and even checked. But, getting 0's on 119 and red X for odd and even on system test. Am I out of luck or is there hope or anything I can still try to get the locals too?

It sounds like you either don't have the settings quite right or you aren't pointed at the right azimuth. Can you post the signal strengths for 101 that you have?

Reactions: dcavaiani
Chip,

101A

86 80 88 0 86 96 80 96
87 90 89 0 88 97 85 97
84 99 87 0 87 97 88 97
84 95 86 75 85 97 84 97

THose signals are lower than they should be, a correctly aligned dish will have most transponders on 101 in the high 90s or even 100. There are a few transponders that will be low or even zero because they are spotbeams pointed at different cities.
As a comparison, my non-spotbeam transponders are all in the mid to high 90s except I have 6 at 100.
Your dish needs better alignment.......then you should get 119..

Makes sense. However, does not look like I can get any better numbers with Azimuth adjustment. So, what would you suggest changing and in what 'direction'.

Your azimuth is probably close, but I'm guessing your elevation and skew are a bit off. What are you using to align the scale for the elevation? You should use the bracket behind the elevation scale, not the bolt head.

A royal pain in the arse! Got the 101 signals up to all 90's w/many 99's and one 100. Still no locals. The elevation is best at 35 for sure and I ran the skew from 70 all the down to 60 and nothing changed ... The guy next to me at the campground is having trouble too. I believe he at one point got the locals but then lost all the others ...

Chip, is it normal for almost everything I watch to be in letterbox, except the commercials ? I'm talking about 19" old tv's with no screen format adjustment option.

It depends upon the channels. Some are only broadcasting in hd, then cropped for sd delivery. What is the zip code you are in, and what locals are you trying to get?

A royal pain in the arse! Got the 101 signals up to all 90's w/many 99's and one 100. Still no locals. The elevation is best at 35 for sure and I ran the skew from 70 all the down to 60 and nothing changed ... The guy next to me at the campground is having trouble too. I believe he at one point got the locals but then lost all the others ...

Is it 119 you are missing or the actual local channels?
Just noticed Chip asked you another very relevant question. Which locals are you trying to receive? Is your line of sight to 119 blocked by trees maybe?

I am at Leopolis, WI zip = 54978. I get no 119 satellite signal - all 0's, and yes trees are all around our campers (even tho I cut a bunch down). Again, the guy next door was able to position his phase 3 to get 80's for the 119 satellite signals (locals), but he gets no reception for anything else. The local channels are from Green Bay, WI.

I think the guy next to me has a slightly different phase 3 dish - a WNC. I just checked his azi. at it looks like it's pointing to around 160. He gets only the 119 satellite with that dish and azi.

160 is way too far east, he shouldn't even be getting any Directv signals with that azimuth.

Chip, I thought I saw where some different phase 3 dishes have way different azi. settings per the DirecTV 'guide' for the dish type ?

The numbers you posted in your first post are very close to what I found at dishpointer.com, so I'm sure they are right. From one location there is only one set of coordinates for the same style of dish.

Is there anyone on this site who would do some "freelance" checking on my dish setup at my camper at Pinegrove Campground in Leopolis, WI for a modest fee ??

Please reply to : dcavaiani@sbcglobal.net

Using 211/35/70 per the setup prompt. Getting high 90's for 101 with both odd and even checked. But, getting 0's on 119 and red X for odd and even on system test. Am I out of luck or is there hope or anything I can still try to get the locals too?
My guess is that one of three things has happened:
  • You're slant is set way off.
  • You have LOS issues.
  • Your LNB assembly has failed.
Always start with the best aiming parameters you can (http://www.dishpointer.com) and an absolutely plumb mounting mast.

The pointing parameters you gave were for somewhere between Sheboygan and Manitowoc (technically they were out in Lake Michigan). The numbers that dishpointer gives for your zip code are 212.1/34.3/70.1 clockwise. The dish should slant down on the west side by about 20 degrees. 90 degrees on a DIRECTV dish is parallel with the ground.

It is notable that the Zip code for the campground itself appears to be 54166.

Last edited:
The 54166 is from Shawano - about 13 miles East. The zip I used is for Leopolis - only 1 mile away. It does not look like the skew setting has anything to do with the 101 signal - no matter what the skew, I still get the same 101 strength ?

Skew won't really affect 101.
Alignment: adjust azimuth until 101 is peaked
if 101 not close to 100 on most transponders, adjust elevation by small amounts to see if you can improve 101.
Then check 119. If still poor signals, you probably have trees interfering with the line of sight. You can adjust skew also to see what effect that has.
Dishpointer.com can give you a first check on this, it will show you where the satellite actually is. A better check is the dishpointer app for a tablet/smartphone if you have one.. It isn't free but it shows the location of the satellites overlaid on top of the view from where you are standing.

Skew won't really affect 101.
It will when you're using a Phase III dish! The Phase III points at 110W so if you dial in 101W with a bad tilt, you won't get 110W or 119W. Tilt isn't about polarity with DBS as DBS uses circular polarity. It is all about the feed horns of the LNB assembly being parallel to the "line" of satellites in the Clarke Belt.

Status
Please reply by conversation.