No locals?

Remington

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 1, 2005
Gatineau, Qc.
Ok, Let's say hypothetically... :rolleyes:
A Canadian guy find a broker to subscribe to Dish Network and they told him, sorry "no locals".

First, how is that possible?

And,
Does this mean that NBC, CBS, ABC, etc. wouldn't be available at all? There's no "nationals" like NY or LA or something?

It is possible because most locals are on spot beams. If you are too far out of the spot, you don't get a signal.

Basically you will not get the networks. It's not quite that simple, but in this forum, that's the answer.

Of course I pay for Canadian TV and all the good US shows are on the Canadian networks anyways. I don't care about locals really, all I want is to have NBC as they show some hockey games. (unless I could get Boston and then have NESN to watch my Bruins!) I was just curious to know what happens when people are far from a major city. No networks.... wow. Ok.

I live in Dublin, Ohio on EA and cannot get locals from DISH.

So (in your case) it's not possible to watch the Networks with Dish?

It's totally different in Canada. There's no such things as locals or spot beams with BellTV for example. Everybody get all the networks from all the cities, which is redundant at some point though...

Your broker would need to use a US address that the spotbeam would reach your area or an address that receives conus locals from 77.

Your broker would need to use a US address that the spotbeam would reach your area or an address that receives conus locals from 77.

Careful what you post..... I answered the way I did above for a reason.

Dish uses spot beams for the locals, which means the locals are only broadcast to certain geographical regions. If you're outside if that region, there's no way to get them.

If you are close enough to the states, you may fall into one, but if you're that close you should be able top use an ota antenna to get them.

While it would be possible to use social engineering to get your physical address updated in dishs' system to maybe receive a spot beam, doing so would be illegal

"So (in your case) it's not possible to watch the Networks with Dish?

It's totally different in Canada. There's no such things as locals or spot beams with BellTV for example. Everybody get all the networks from all the cities, which is redundant at some point though..."

I got an ota module from DISH and an antenna from Best Buy and I get my locals that way but they are not available on ea in the Columbus area. i cant get wa due to some large trees not on my property.

Ok, Let's say hypothetically... :rolleyes:
A Canadian guy find a broker to subscribe to Dish Network and they told him, sorry "no locals".

First, how is that possible?

And,
Does this mean that NBC, CBS, ABC, etc. wouldn't be available at all? There's no "nationals" like NY or LA or something?
Canadian residents are excluded from Dish Network's subscriber eligibility. Based on that fact, you are not even supposed to be using Dish Network's system.

I live in Dublin, Ohio on EA and cannot get locals from DISH.
Really? why not..You live in Dublin? A burb of Columbus? In Franklin County? You most certianly CAN get locals out of Columbus, OH..However, you must Have your system switched to WA as Columbus locals are on the 129 slot. If WA is an issue, your alternative is to install an OTA antenna
http://dishuser.net/TVMarkets/City Maps/Columbus.gif

While it would be possible to use social engineering to get your physical address updated in dishs' system to maybe receive a spot beam, doing so would be illegal
For Canadians, receiving DISH Network in Canada is against national law.

"Moving" is uniquely a breach of contract and the remedy is at the carrier's discretion. Entering into a contract while being ineligible is a whole other can of worms.

Really? why not..You live in Dublin? A burb of Columbus? In Franklin County? You most certianly CAN get locals out of Columbus, OH..However, you must Have your system switched to WA as Columbus locals are on the 129 slot. If WA is an issue, your alternative is to install an OTA antenna
http://dishuser.net/TVMarkets/City Maps/Columbus.gif

I guess you missed the part of his post that says he has large trees on property which does not allow him access to western arc satellites

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)