No longer allowed to sell DTV Equipment

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

gnolan0660

Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
I tried to buy an HR20 DVR at Circuit City Saturday evening and was told by the manager that as of 48 hrs prior DTV notified them that they or anyone else were no longer allowed to sell equipment. He said this included new customers. Can anyone verify this and if so why?

Seems inaccurate, product still on the website with delivery or store pickup.

Why would D* stop selling at retail right before holiday, I don't think so.

I did not think so either but he would not sell it to me and he said that there were 2 customers that came in from Best Buy and they were told the same thing there... Really strange!

I have heard nothing of any sales halts. The last thing direct tv would do is stop sales at this time of year.

Could be because of all of the inaccurate advertising. People thinking they own the equipment when they do not.

Could be because of all of the inaccurate advertising. People thinking they own the equipment when they do not.

That could be and remember, DTV & Dish wants everything to go to a lease.

Perhaps D* did a random survey and found that the storefronts were not making it abundantly clear that the receivers were leased.

To me, this sounds like CC had a stockout and they were trying to discourage the shopper from going elsewhere.

Perhaps D* did a random survey and found that the storefronts were not making it abundantly clear that the receivers were leased.

To me, this sounds like CC had a stockout and they were trying to discourage the shopper from going elsewhere.

I know for a fact that at CC there is NO mention of rec's being a lease, they have a big display of them, different ones....
Don't know about them NOT selling them, but I can check.
I know for a fact that Costco does sell them, they have about 50 or so of each type in the local store.

I think I heard quite awhile back that D* would not be selling them thru retailors, much like DISH use to do, I would imagine they are trying to go to the model of getting them ONLY from them.

Jimbo

A local Best Buy here in central Texas had several H20s, a few H21s, and one HR21 on the shelf. Oh and I think a few R15s? I am interested in a HR20. The only one they had was the display. I asked if they had more, they checked the computer and said no. Asked when more would arrive? I don't know the, truck comes on Tuesdays. Asked if they would sell the display unit? After a brief wait, a flat NO. But seemed sort of willing to sell any boxed units.

B Brewer

This would solve some issues with sales, DTV has had a lot of issues due to the lease/owned drama specifically from Best Buy and C City.
I have herd nothing about this and I would think I'd have herd by now but Ill look into it tomorrow.

Really Dtv is big enough to take this role on itself IMO.

Okay, I may need a little help in understanding something, so please bear with me. I was a DirecTV subscriber for 10 years, when I switched to Cablevision because they had MSGHD, a few years back. Can someone please explain to me about the buying/leasing of DirecTV equipment, such as receivers and DVR's? For instance, if I purchase an HD-DVR through a retailer such as Best Buy or Circuit City, it's considered leased, therefore I do not own it?? Sorry for the ignorance, but it doesn't make much sense to me. I still have about 4 D* receivers sitting in my basement, including a Sony Ultimate TV box. Is that equipment obsolete at this point??
Thanks everyone!

Okay, I may need a little help in understanding something, so please bear with me. I was a DirecTV subscriber for 10 years, when I switched to Cablevision because they had MSGHD, a few years back. Can someone please explain to me about the buying/leasing of DirecTV equipment, such as receivers and DVR's? For instance, if I purchase an HD-DVR through a retailer such as Best Buy or Circuit City, it's considered leased, therefore I do not own it?? Sorry for the ignorance, but it doesn't make much sense to me. I still have about 4 D* receivers sitting in my basement, including a Sony Ultimate TV box. Is that equipment obsolete at this point??
Thanks everyone!

? It sounds like you have D* service now from some of your posts. Am I wrong?

Cobra - Can't speak to your old equipment but, basically, equipment bought at retailers like Best Buy and Circuit City are leased units. While you can still buy equipment the cost can be significantly higher, like 2 to 3 times. It took me a bit of adjusting to get used to the idea that I no longer was really buying my D* units but my latest acquisition, an HR20 HD DVR, is indeed a leased unit I got directly from D*. Until something changes my days of fully owning equipment are numbered. Right now I own my H10 and H20 and the monthly charge for the additional units is the same as leased.

I have noticed the Circuit City website clearly states the units are leased.

B Brewer

I saw this thread so I rushed to Best Buy to buy another HR20 in case something was up. I was going to buy another one this weekend anyway. I asked the salesman if he would sell me the HR20 and he said sure. He was not aware of any stoppage in sales. He did say Best Buy will only sell to existing D* customers. If you are a new customer, you have to go the D* (or an online source). A gentleman bought an HR20 earlier in the day and was arguing that Best Buy forced him into a new two year contract. Not really true. D* will do this when he activates the equipment.

Here are the exact terms on my receipt...

SERVICE AND SERVICE OPTIONS

You want the following service plans: DIRECTV EXIST CUST HDWR LEA. I certify and accept the following terms: I am a current DIRECTV customer. Programming, DVR, HD Access and Lease fee commitments required; based on type and no. of receiver(s). Equip. return req'd at cancellation. I certify and accept the following terms: I am a current DIRECTV customer. Programming, DVR, HDAccess and Lease fee commitments required (based on type and number of receivers). Receipt of DIRECTV programming is subject to terms of the DIRECTV Customer Agreement; copy provided at directv.com/legal and in my first bill. Equipment is at all times, property of DIRECTV. Upon cancellation of service, equipment must be returned to DIRECTV or additional fees apply.

Okay, I can see where a retailer may say they can't sell machines any longer. After getting D* to agree to let me buy my equipment and they will credit my account for the price of a HD receiver I went to a local Circuit City. I decided to go for the HD DVR at my expense for the upgrade. I kid you not that it took over 30 minutes of them entering information, calling and getting appoval codes, and then entering more information. It was not a ring it up, pay for it, have a nice day transaction. They told me some of the procedures had changed in the past week. As a side note, D* told me the dish would come with the receiver but CC charged me $100.00 for it. Now I need to see if D* will credit me for that too seeing as they will not have to pay someone for the install. Hopefully I will be enjoying the new HD by this afternoon!!

B Brewer

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)