No longer supporting vacation homes?

mike_ayu

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2005
8 years ago I was going to cancel DishNetwork because it cost too much to have separate accounts for my main house and my vacation home. They offered to combine the accounts and just charge for the receivers in the vacation home. This last week they called with some story about needing to manually download updates on all receivers. When my wife reminded them we had 2 in a vacation home, they accused her of stealing satellite service and they didn't support it. Not only annoying that they changed their policy without telling anyone, really bad customer service to accuse your customers of stealing for doing something you told them to do.

Anyone got any suggestions before I switch to DirecTv? Without some pretty serious apology, no way Dish is getting my business again.

And by the way, I've had 3 slingDVrs fail in the last 2 years, and they won't downgrade me to a 722, they say I have to keep getting replacements of the more expensive box - by the 922 is the only one that repeatedly fails?

These guys used to have decent service, but the last year or so has been a joke. No wonder everyone wants to move to internet streaming of content.

Mike

What the CSR originally did has always been against Dish policy. Can't blame you for not being happy about it, but the one that did wrong was the original CSR.

I believe it is also against DirecTV policies. Although they don't seem to audit as much if at all, they will not set this up as one account.

If you have a 922 and decide to stay with Dish, change to the Hopper. Much has been said here of 922 reliability or lack thereof.

There is no answer you will like, just switch to someone who allows two residents paying one price.
I have been with DISH much longer than 8 years, and they have never allowed two residents to use equipment at the same time. I believe they misunderstood what you wanted at the time, or had a clueless CSR and perhaps 8 years ago a CSR could pull that off. They do allow you to have two dish set-ups and move equipment to one residence or the other. There is no need to argue that, the contract is very clear about where receivers must be. If you can convince Direct TV to allow it, go for it. I would be grateful I was able to save that money over time, and move on, either follow how it can be done legally or change providers. I have several questions including so what did DISH do when they found out?

I don't believe I have seen any posts of someone being told they can't get a 722 receiver whatever their present receiver, Hopper aside. (Unless I guess you drop the Hopper and only get a 722)

Last edited:
If you own these receivers, you can easily turn one set off and another on when you move between homes.... Another possibility is to take your receivers with you when you move. And a 3rd possibility, since you have sling, is to leave receivers at one residence and watch them from the other.

Just carry a receiver back and forth with you, with a dish set up at both places (as you have now).

Consider an owned ViP211 with or without a Tailgater or similar antenna. That would be allowed with a Hopper account.

You might PM a DIRT member to review your options.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I vaguely remember a certain ceo telling customers on a "Charlie chat" that it would be ok to move a receiver between a vacation home and regular home

I have an email from Direct that says it is okay to move receivers to vacation home as long as there is no one watching tv at both places at the same time.

There is no issue with moving your receiver with you but you are not allowed to have active receivers at two different locations. I would suggest just purchasing receivers and leaving them at the vacation home. You can activate them when using them and then deactivate them when done. The nice this is that you could just leave them hooked up there.

It sounds like the audit team caught up with the OP. I wonder if the receivers at the vacation home are connected to phone or internet. That would be a big red flag to dish.Anyway a single 211 can be called a tailgater and allowed.Many people use their "tailgater" at their vacation homes. Now more than 1 receiver at the vacation home I dont think that's going to work. 2 things you can likely do. Get those 2 receivers at the vacation home hooked up at the billing address so when you talk to the audit team you can give them the numbers they need. Or try to hook upgrade to hopper/joey with a 211 tailgater.Since they already know you have had receivers at another address Dish may just choose to cancel you. Then you will have to go Direct. Direct wont allow receivers at 2 separate addresses either,but they may have their version of the tailgater like dish.Believe me Dish did not know you had receivers at the vacation home. That was never allowed. The CSR that joined the accounts did not leave notes about 2 addresses the account was joined to a single address where the receivers were assumed to be located at.Dont blame Dish for enforcing their rules.

I'm curious, can't they tell that the recv'r isn't active at the vacation home?

Though if we have the correct info, three or more receivers with them not all hooked up (to the same location) can trigger an audit.

I vaguely remember a certain ceo telling customers on a "Charlie chat" that it would be ok to move a receiver between a vacation home and regular home
So what? Just because he said it doesn't make it the rule forever.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

It has nothing to do with stealing service, but more the fact they want you to open a second account so they can count you as being a customer twice

Claude, Claude, Claude...

Of course, Claude, see...Dish is in business not to make money, but rather to be able to brag about having a large number of customers. Making more money isn't important. Dish has their residential agreement, which says you have to keep all the receivers in one place, to keep people from having one account at two places. And according to you, it has nothing to do with someone taking money out of Dish's pocket.

Really, Claude?

In your zeal to discredit Claude, you reinforced what he's saying. More customers = count twice = more money (your comment).

Count twice = two accounts = more money

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)