No luck with Dish install

eddiemc

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2004
I am a former Voomer, I have not had any service since they went down.

I decided I want Fox soccer and Worldsport again since the Voom channels are available again on Dish.

Ordered HD gold.

Call on Wed, 2 HD 211 boxes and install on Friday. :D

Friday comes, guy tells me I have no line of site to the sats because of trees and leaves. No signal meter, did not get up on the roof which is an easy walker, no options.

Call Dish to tell them its a no go, they tell me they have someone else coming on Sat for a second opinion. Great.

Guy shows up, does a quick lookie.
Tells me no go. Did not go up on the roof or produce a signal meter.

Tells me, that he cant tell me to cut down some trees or which trees to even trim.
Proceeds to tell me to get a local installer to erect a tower in the yard 30' high.

I would like to get Dish, but dont know what my options are at this point.

Anyone have any ideas?:confused:

An experienced installer can usually tell what's what often without a compass.

We know where the sun is in the sky, houses are often oriented "squarely", he might have seen a dish next door, whatever.

Of course, if these were DNSC employees, it's less likely they knew what was what.

Find a GOOD local retailer and go from there.

Of course, if you had put your location in your profile, we could've told you what the numbers are for the birds and you could check it yourself.

I call lots of legitimate No Line of Sight's from a compass/inclinometer without setting foot on a roof. An experienced installer just knows. However DNSC :down places too many restrictions on their installers, ...excuse me "techs". :rolleyes: I don't know if it's in writing but they keep saying "we don't get on roofs" or "we aren't allowed to get on roofs". I wouldn't get on a roof either if it was unreasonable, but an experienced installer with good common sense will get up there at his choosing if he feels there's a chance a line of sight can be obtained and he knows he's not going to break his neck to give you TV. Without seeing your roof we can only guess why they didn't get up there. They either knew what they were doing or they were trained to survey your property in the manner they did. Either way, get in touch with a retailer/installer that's been doing this for more than "just a few years."

As a DNS tech/installer the roof is the last resort for mounting a dish of any kind as no one and no company can garuantee that the roof wont leak and the dish wont get taken off by wind. As for needing a meter to tell if I can get signal from a given location it is very rare for me to actually need one for that purpose, I have also been doing this long enough that I dont need to use a compas except in the rare occasion that I am looking at having to split a dish 500 into 2 seperate dishes to get signal from the 110 and 119 though usually this is in situations where the dish(s) would have to go out 200+ feet from the home.

DNS techs will install on roofs unless the roof is to steep, the shingles in poor condition ( looks like crumpled and burnt paper ) the roof is spongy ( you feel like your walking across a jello cube ) and weather is a factor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts